Possible mini bike build ?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricky_191

Reaction score
hi all. I'm close to finishing some projects laying around so I have space for a new one. Thinking of building a mini bike like hondaz50 or -ct70. questions tho. I have been looking around for answers and still nothing concrete. If I get say A honda-ct70 frame with vin number could I build it up and get it registered in Queensland? they sell compliance plates on ebay but will it be enough to pass ?

I have the pit bike and the peewee 50 still so plenty of small parts to piece together to make something. Do i need the original engine or can i adapt a pit bike one to fit ? have seen a few done but no one has info on if it was passed road worthy with the new engine or not.

Parts can be found all over the place so no big deal there. Just wanting ways of passing a roadworthy and being able to get paper work sorted. Thanks!

First up, it is illegal to remove a compliance plate from any motor vehicle
And it is also illegal to stamp any number's into a compliance plate.
Those plate's they sell on ebay are for show usage only.

You are best off looking at the wrecker's for a complete frame with an original compliance plate etc
Write down the detail's off the plate and contact your local registration department and and ask if you are able to re-register that bike
It may be listed as written off, or as a wrecked vehicle in that case you can't register it.

In SA we are able to register anything with an old number plate and the engine number.
So if i found a 1969 z50 that has been sitting in a shed for 38 year's unregistered, all i have to do is go to our motor reg dept, fill in a form with all the detail's from the bike and last known owner, then pay the $80 or so dollar's to transfer it into my name and register it.
It's a little harder to transfer an interstate reg'd bike but not much
Different state's of australia could have different requirement's too like a roadworthy check or a full inspection etc etc

Compliance plates didn't come in to effect in Australia until January 1976, Honda Australia started puting compliance plates on CT70s and Z50s mid to late 75. Hardtail z50s never had comp plates, it gets a little complicated as there were 2 almost identical models sold known as the GE(general export ) and the U type(specific australian market model), only the U type is registerable but its not always smooth sailing and many have had to jump through hoops to get the registration their bike is eligable for. 75 onwards z50's that have rear suspension are registerable aslong as they have their compliance plate still attached. Z50R's were never complianced. Any ct70 before late 75 will have an id plate , not a compliance plate as such just a plate saying it manufacture date, frame and engine numbers. From then on all ct70s had compliance plates fitted.
The almost identical st70 never had anything at all, no plates of any type just a number stamped into the frame, but shouldn't prove too hard to register with the right advice.
ST90s can be found cheap, similar frame as the st/ct70 but with 14" spoked wheels front and back although the engine isnt a straight bolt in with a pit bike motor like the others (small brackets need to be made for the rear mount)
The XL70 or SL70 would make a good roadlegal pitty and almost all pit bike motors will fit.

Plenty of guys have registered honda mini bike with 190cc and even bigger engines (have a look on monkeybikeoz.com.au )

Don't do a dodgy compliance plate, it will come back to haunt you.

There are lots of other cool small bikes from the seventies that were complianced /registerable from new that people don't realise you can register like suzuki RV90s, yamaha GT80s,etc. that can be had cheap if you sniff around in the right places

Start looking for bikes that aren't popular in the mainstream and you can get a good bargain. While not a mini bike (more a midsize), i scored this tc100 for $90 and it was the 3rd or 4th time it have been on ebay, they originally had a start price of $150, after a few weeks it was down to $90, it was payday so i bought it. Fixed the points, cleaned the carb and she sprung into life and with a quick tidy up can be registered.
IMG_201601277793.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your help. I like the idea of a small bike that can be registered as there isn't many close places to ride around here.

I want something cheap and I can adapt any frames extra and do everything else . Time for a real project aha

Any help finding something like a frame or some more places to look ? Thanks Again guys

I got an st 50 off eBay just arrived today it's classed as a moped here in Queensland so just car licence is all you need, going to make it into a beach cruiser cause the local fuzz are cracking down on unregisterd bikes up here. Depending on your licence and budget the local husqvanna shop in Townsville have mini motards for like 3 grand could upgrade suspension and tyres

My 74 ct70 is legal here, however many areas consider the folding bars not deemed road legal. Once you put an aftermarket engine the bike at least here in legal terms is noncompliant via nonmatching vin not made via manufacturer nor emissions codes for road use

Sent from my RCT6773W42B using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back