QA50 tasty piston

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bombney

Reaction score
first thread since MG so ...
Yesterday i was riding my QA out in the bush just cruising along enjoying life at 30k's and about a hour and a half of riding she started to smoke more than she normally would. I knew that the engine was due for a new piston and rings so i went to my local honda dealer to get one ordered. When i got there they told me they discontinued the piston for the QA's. So being a little dissapointed i went home and started to pull down the top end and have a little looksie. found out there was a broken ring (no surprise there).
IMG_0772.jpg

So seeing as how i still had the old spare parts engine i thought well the compression was still good on it ill use that piston and rings see if it will run better. boy was i in for a surprise. the piston was covered in rusty mud and the rings were seized
IMG_0767.jpg

i soaked the mucky piston and rings in 15/1 marine fuel over night and the rings freed up so i gave it a rub down removed the rings and the piston looks good as new but i will have to source a new set of rings for it.

Last edited:
tboltusa socks parts for the engine i believe .. there site is not loading right now though so i cant tell you for sure...

if it was my bike i would seriously consider splitting the cases and cleaning all the much out and maybe new bearings if its had that much crap in there
APON A Second look... here is a ring set std size http://classichonda50saustralia.com.au/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=667
here is a good spot for the rest of your parts http://classichonda50saustralia.com.au/store/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=24

the case with the mucky piston is the spare parts which is full of dirt and allsorts of nasties but the engine in the bike is clean i split the case last year and she was super clean:grinning-smiley-003

Latest posts

Back