Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudskipper

Reaction score
So a good few months ago, my bike was not dropping into second gear and had to
skip to third.
Finally it jammed in 2nd and there goes my bike. Troy at Rocko said too expensive to fix.
I have fitted both new gear shafts(damaged) with original kick start, clutch plates, piston.
everything rotates but only seems to rotate 2 revolutions in each direction. should it all rotate freely or will I need to drop it into neutral to get the full movement back?
everything has slotted in correctly but im not too sure if the problem has been resolved.
He suggested the possible cause for the jam in 2nd may have been due to a particular loose bolt..... I didn't know which specifically he was talking about. any ideas?

During this time of no engine.. I bought a wr250, I got lonely.

did you shim the gearbox up at all ?
any sideways movement can cause things to not quite line up.

and did you tighten the shift drum retaining bolt , the one above the sprocket on the outside of the case?

shift drum bolt, that's the one. followed the print out I have of gearing assembly to the key so haven't altered
any dimensions. should having gearing dropped to neutral allow full continuous movement through motor?

yeah most engines will select all the gears,
but if the engine is fitted to the bike, i have found some may need to have the bike rocked back and forth to engage all gears.

another thing to look at is check for binding/dragging up at the clutch side of the shift star.
there should be a couple of mm's clearance from the shift pawl the the shift selector arm

have a look at this, see figure #7
Daytona 125cc repairing locating arm [gearshift fix] 2

ah nice link, I have found shift drum retaining bolt needed to go in, had some movement in the drum without it, shift star was sitting 1mm out of position. causing selector arm to sit on outer surface of star rather than on the selection points. all tightened up. top end is back on and looking good, everything rotates continuously and can select all gears.

Latest posts

Back