Rear Brakes not Responding

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hallzee

Reaction score
jumped on my bike this morning for a quick suburban thrash(couldnt help it just put my freshly cleaned carb back on) to find out my rear brakes arent working at all...
never really had a problem with them since i have had the bike, they were never great but they always did the job.

i havnt fiddled with them recently either

its like they are seized or something??? is this possible?

i checked them while pushing down on the brakes and there is no response at all. and the brake lever goes all the way down pretty easy.. like as if there is very little resistance against it,

i also checked the brake fluid level and it was full

any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG00435-20101025-2041.jpg
    IMG00435-20101025-2041.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
You may have to change your brake pads or change your break fluid the brake pads may have seized if they have been sitting in the weather.........hard to say sorry if i didnt help

you may have worn your brake 'pads' out so its just metal on metal, does it make a squeeking or scraping noise when you hit the brakes while moving?

it does that when i dont hit the brakes... like if i just whell it along..

the brakes arent working at all. period.

i can see the cables moving and whatever but then after the fluid level thing there is no movement at all.

i have since taken the caliper off and have held it in my hand and pushed the brakes but nothing happens at all.

yep, does the pad look like its just metal or does it have (i guess this is how youd explain it?) a risen bit on it, looks like its just another bit added onto the metal

and it sounds like you have air in your line, you will need to bleed it.

you can hit the search button near the top of the page and search how to bleed it (if you havnt bled them before) if you cant find it il get you a link.

Yeh the pads are dead flat...
I had seen an article on bleeding the brake lines but didn't want to go do that if it wasn't needed yet. This bike is in need of a lot of TLC !!!, looks like that is next on the list then. the bike has had very little to no maintenance in its life time so there is lots on my to do list.. Do I just get the fluid from supercheap?does it matter what type I use?

Thanks mate.

A good idea is drain the fluid completely as the factory fluid is like water.

I might make a How to: thread on bleeding brakes

yeah well replace the pads first, you may not have to bleed them.. but you may.. dont know untill you try but it does sound like youl have to if they arnt moving..

pads

quick pic of the pads...

those cylinders the pads back onto (sorry for being a newbie)but thats what should be moving right?

Attachments

• IMG00435-20101025-2041.jpg
    IMG00435-20101025-2041.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 9
any clues as to what i need to replace them with and where i could get them?
btw its a 07 motovert expert,

there are a few different designs, take the pads out and get a pic up, or take them out and to a shop or take them out and find some on ebay that have the same measurements :)

Latest posts

Back