Rec Reg: Where does it allow you to ride?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creole

Reaction score
(VIC) Rec Reg: Where does it allow you to ride?

Its all a bit wishy washy. Vicroads gives a definition:

"Conditions
There are a number of conditions applying to operating a recreation vehicle. They are:

Recreation motorcycles are only permitted to be operated on roads (except declared freeways and arterial roads, including roads formerly designated as forest roads, under the Road Management Act 2004) that are:
located outside "built up areas" as defined by speed zones of less than 100 km/h, or
those areas that are not a road and are solely for the training and assessment of a holder of a motorcycle learner permit by an organisation approved by VicRoads for that purpose
the vehicle must not carry any load or a person other than the rider
the rider must wear a protective helmet of the type approved under the Road Rules Victoria"

But then DSE website for state forests:

Trail Bikes - FAQ's

"3. Can I ride my bike in a State forest?
If you have a motorcycle license, and your motorbike is registered and roadworthy, you may ride on forest roads and tracks that are open for public use, but you must not ride off the official tracks."

"7. What is the difference between full motorcycle registration and recreational registration?
Full registration enables you to ride your motorcycle on any open public road.

Recreational registration permits allow you to ride on open public roads located outside suburbs and built up areas ( as defined by speed zones of less than 100km/hr) with a road classification code* between 3000-3999 or on roads NOT shown in the VicRoads Country Street Directory. Other roads such as freeways and arterial roads (code 1000-2999) and main roads and tourist roads (code 4000-5999) cannot be ridden on. Contact VicRoads on 131 171 to find out where you can ride with a recreation registration.

(* Roads classification codes are shown in the RACV VicRoads Country Street Directory)"

Riding on Public Land

"Riding and The Law

Trail bike riders, like all other vehicles user, are required to follow certain legal requirements. Significant fines can be issued to trail bike riders if caught breaking the law in State forests, parks and reserves.To avoid the inconvenience and costs of fines and prosecutions, do the right thing and make sure you:
Hold a current motorcycle licence (or learners permit) and your bike is registered and roadworthy
Are 18 years of age or older
Have a noise compliant muffler - the maximum legal exhaust noise is 94dB. Modifications to standards mufflers, or fixing after-market mufflers can make your trail bike illegally noisy
Ride only on formed roads or tracks. Riding 'off-road' on single lane tracks is illegal
Don't use Quad bikes (ATV's) on public land - they cannot be legally registered for road use as they do not meet relevant safety standards
Don't use motocross bikes, pit-bikes and mini-bikes (monkey bikes) on public land - they are not designed for registration and do not have the equipment required for registration"

Basically i wish to ride state forests with Rec reg, but their website says only for bikes that are 'road' reged and rwc..

Have you guys had an ok run riding pitties in State foz'?

the dse foz sites are retarded, it seems they wont allow rec reg'd bikes? (wont stop me though, ill still ride them)

Like mt dissapointment, mt stirling and sh1t.

I rang vicroads, they dont have a definitive answer for state forests..

Thanks

Last edited:
any road that doesn't have a number between 3000-3999 i think it is, no tarmac either (sealed road). State forests are fine even if they say 'road reg required', the DSE or whatever doesn't have power over the law and it's public land.

so as long as you have a moto licence, and a rec reg'd bike.
are you allowed to ride back streets?
or is it just dirt roads?

i dont understand what the 3000-3999 code is ??

You can only ride back streets if its a non built up area.
If your in the suburbs no.

If your in a country town, and have acres between yourself and your neighbour then yes.

i do not know about back streets and all that kind of stuff but if you have a rec rego bike you can ride in some state forests the signs at the forrest will tell you if its a motorbike allowed area but thats only if you have your road license soo
you need the rights state forest + rec rego + motorbike licence

Latest posts

Back