Replacing Piston and Rings

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turns out i bought the 55mm piston with the 15mm pin to suit a lifan 140.
Not knowing that my bike stamped 138 but ''apparently'' has a 127cc motor in it, which means the piston is around 54mm with a 14mm pin (or there abouts i need to double check this yet with calipers). That should explain my latest hassles, hopefully i can get my hands on the RIGHT piston tomorrow when i go pick up my bore from being honed.

:frustrated::frustrated::frustrated:

Last edited:
At least when it's all said n done, all this crap will make the victory even sweeter.... Reckon we've all been there mate, in fact this seems to happen to me every time i try and fiddle. Good luck with the new piston :)

At least when it's all said n done, all this crap will make the victory even sweeter.... Reckon we've all been there mate, in fact this seems to happen to me every time i try and fiddle. Good luck with the new piston :)

Hey man,

yea it def kicked me in the ass this time haha! it always happens to me lol

And yea your right, the victory will be sweet, and it always feels great when you accomplish something you've never really done before.

Thanks for the positive thoughts! :five:

Lol, yer I've dont the same, bought a lifan 150 piston for a yx 150 not realising lol. turns out pin diameter was different size !

Lol, yer I've dont the same, bought a lifan 150 piston for a yx 150 not realising lol. turns out pin diameter was different size !

Hey Carlts,

hahaha yea when i bought the bike 5 years ago, its an 07 model. They advertised it as a 140 big bore and dont qoute me on this, but i think i remember something about it being/having the 55mm piston lol.

I cant really remember now as its a fair while ago! but yea, bad mistake made by me lol!

Ok so i went to visit the bloke who is honing out my bore for me, and i had a look and its actually stamped as a 140! So, i now know my bike is NOT a 127 lol! And that the piston i require is one that the yx140 motor which is 56mm with a 13mm pin!... I more or less made the same mistake as Carlts lol.

Anyway, my new correct piston should arrive by wednesday, and i should have my bore back then to.

Hopefully i can get stuck into it during the week after work and get it up and running again by the weekend, ill keep this thread updated, it might help somebody from making the same mistake/mistakes i have :D

Keep at it mate ur doing great. Might tackle it myself

Hey all,

Just got a couple of quick questions about re-assembling my bike:

1. Do I need to use any gasket goo with the new gaskets ?

2. And do I need to loctite the 3 cam sprocket bolts ?

Cheers

Ok so latest update for everyone is, it's aliveeee!

Just want to thank the people on this forum who have helped and gone out of there way to create "guides" here!, without them somethings would be extremely hard to do for first timers!

The hardest thing is those stupid tedious, slippery little circlips! :)

But it's done now, I had a quick check for oil leaks and couldn't see any but I'll take it for a ride tomorrow up and down the street for a test ride when i havent had any beers.

So all in all, valves are adjusted, new piston and rings, fresh oil and plug and a new uni filter just need a new fuel filter and I'm
All good! :)

Last edited:
Flippin awesome work man! knew ya could do it, and better than me I ended up having to rip the head apart 3 times lol, 1 for inital change, 1 for wrong gasket assembly and another for changing the cam

But good job man, sorry I wasn't around to answer the questions, but seems like you got it sorted too easy anyway :)

Flippin awesome work man! knew ya could do it, and better than me I ended up having to rip the head apart 3 times lol, 1 for inital change, 1 for wrong gasket assembly and another for changing the cam

But good job man, sorry I wasn't around to answer the questions, but seems like you got it sorted too easy anyway :)

Hey!

Thanks man. Yea three times woulda been a bit of a nuisance but atleast u learn how to do it I Spose!

Glad it's all done now, just need some sun to come out and dry things up here a bit so hopefully can go for a ride at some stage ! Haha

I know this is a bit off thread topic, but do u know anywhere online where you can order good reasonably priced graphics from ?

Hey!

Thanks man. Yea three times woulda been a bit of a nuisance but atleast u learn how to do it I Spose!

Glad it's all done now, just need some sun to come out and dry things up here a bit so hopefully can go for a ride at some stage ! Haha

I know this is a bit off thread topic, but do u know anywhere online where you can order good reasonably priced graphics from ?

Get onto Justin from Hole Shot hero.

Does some sweet graphics cheap.

Holeshot Hero | Facebook

He is the member: dynamcgs

Well done bloke! The best part about you doing it is now if you have other dramas you have half an idea on how things works and can go about fixing it. Im a tradie and reading from books at tafe did nothing for me, its the hands on approach that worked.

Get onto Justin from Hole Shot hero.

Does some sweet graphics cheap.

Holeshot Hero | Facebook

He is the member: dynamcgs

Hey motorman,

Thanks heaps for that! :)

Well done bloke! The best part about you doing it is now if you have other dramas you have half an idea on how things works and can go about fixing it. Im a tradie and reading from books at tafe did nothing for me, its the hands on approach that worked.

Hey stubsy,

I know exactly what you mean, when I was doing my trade years ago the tafe books etc sucked I'd much rather doing the hands on work and learning that way also!

Congrats mate, how sweet is that sound when it fires up again :congrats:

Hey timeeh,

Your definatly not wrong there, it also feels better to have to give it a bit more when trying to kick it as its got a little more compression back!

Latest posts

Back