Review: Atomik Reign 125cc - new edition

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlts

Certified Computer Nerd
Reaction score
Atomiks have never exactly been known for there outstanding quality or helpful customer service. But with this new generation of Atomiks has this changed? and has Atomik finally lifted their game?

Atomik Reign 125cc
KLX110 style bike

Build Date
4 January 2011

Cost
$405 + post

Packaging
RATING 9.5/10
The bike was packaged securly in a large box supported by a bolted-together steel frame. This kept the package rigid and prevented any damage to the bike contained. All parts of the bike were secured well and none of the parts sustained any damage. Apart from a small amount of melted bubble wrap on the exhaust and two missing nuts for the shock packaging was perfect.

1Packaged.jpg

2Boxisoff.jpg

First Impressions
RATING 9.5/10
Having taken the steel frame and carboard off the bike I was impressed with the quality of the bike. Pro taper bars and Kenda Carlsbad tyres were just some of the many goodies that now come standard on the Atomik Reign's. The bike looked great with all the silver parts contrasting with the black frame.

Assembly
RATING 8/10
The bike was left attached the lower part of the steel frame as I removed the upper steel frame. This allowed the bike to remain stable while I fitted the required parts and serviced the bike. The rear shock was the first thing I attached and the rear plastics had to be removed in order for this to happen. I found some replacement nuts to use for those missing and soon it was starting to look like a bike. I then put locktite on all the major bolts from engine mounts and brake calipers to chain guards. The axles were then greased and finally the bars were fitted. I highly recommend that you assemble the bike with two people as fitting the rear shock is a difficult task by yourself. I then proceeded to put the front wheel on and to make it easier I propped the bike onto a chair to allow easy installation of this part. The final part in assembling the bike was removing the sticker kit protective covers. Some of them had air bubbles but this problem was fixed by patiently pressing out the bubbles. As far as tools go for assembly the relevant tools were provided but due to there non existent quality I disregarded them and used my more reliable tools. All that is required is various metric sized spanner, sockets are reccomended and you'll also need some allen keys of various metric sizes.

3Plasticsoff.jpg

4NearlyDone.jpg

Frame
RATING 8/10
The frame is a KLX size TUBULAR TRELLIS Frame with Cradle.
Comparing to the older atomik frames, namely my brothers atomik bigfoot, it can be seen that it is no different and merits the same review as the older one. Having ridden the older Atomiks the frames were of reasonable quality and I am yet to break or bend the frame. This said give the bike enough abuse and big enough jumps and you could end up damaging the frame, but for the casual to medium skilled rider the frame will hold up fine. Being a klx style the subframe does not extend all the way under the rear plastic guard and this makes the bike more difficult to handle when trying to pick it up and also allows the rear guard to be damaged more easily. However this issue can be amending by using a klx style rear frame extension.

5HereSheis.jpg

6OppositeSide.jpg

Engine
RATING 9.5/10
125cc Lifan Engine - 4 stroke - air cooled
The silver colouring of the engine makes the bike look so much better compared to the those with the more common black lifan engine. Its make is Lifan and from previous experience with these engines are great quality and if run in well, the engine will last a long time. It has a 26mm Mikuni Carburettor, fake or genuine I don't know. It has two choke positions with the upper position being the choke on which is for cold starts and the lower position which is choke off and used for riding.
The pro circuit copy exhaust looks great and produces a nice thumpy sound. The wiring for the bike was nice and tidy and tucked nicely under the fuel tank. After changing the stock oil and adding fuel, I was surprised that the bike started so easily. After allowing the bike to warm up it was taken for a small loop around the yard where I checked it over and tried the gears.

7Enginewhatabeast.jpg

Suspension
RATING 7/10
Front forks are standard chinese 735mm forks, the forks are not adjustable but the oil can be changed for the desired "plushness".
The rear suspension is CNC Nitrogen Charged Rear Gas Shock with Adjustable Preload and in its stock adjustment it felt good quality.
From experience with previous Atomiks the suspension handles well, although for the bigger jumps and more intense riding it is recommended that the front fork oil be changed.

9LookingGood.jpg

Ergonomics and Handling
Rating 8.5/10
I didn't know what to think of a klx stlye bike with the smaller 14/12 inch wheels as I'm used to the bigfoot 17/14 inch set up. But I was surprised at the sitting position and manoeuvrability that the bike offered. The high rise pro tapers, while most don't like, gave the bike a bigger feel and allowed for what feels more aggressive turning.
From the box the levers and shifters were all in great positions and no adjustment was needed for a comfortable riding position. The seat however is firm from the word go and the edges are rigid. I'm hoping this softens up over time though. The included Kenda carlsbad tyres offer great grip and are dominant over any chinese tyre I've previously used.

8NiceKendatyres.jpg

91CantcomplainwithTapers.jpg

Summary
Having picked up the bike for 405 bucks brand new from eBay I was surprised as to the quality of the bike. In comparison to the older Atomiks, the quality parts that are included make this bike superior. The engine dishes out plenty of power and the suspenion and tyre setup allow this power to be effectively put to good use. As a for the beginner or intermediate this bike performs great and for the price is a Steal!!

In comparison to the Atomik Bigfoot 125cc

92Yesitssmaller.jpg

93LittleBrother.jpg

DHZ_XR8cing for the layout
Hope you don't mind

Last edited:
Good Review +Reps

And are you still doin your crf build

Haha lol sory should have added that this bike is for my brothers gf... I've spent 1200 on the crf70 build so far and yep im still going

Cheers
Carlton

What parts you got so far and you should make a build thread

Great review mate. The bikes are certainly getting better.
+ reps for the outstanding write up and lay out. hehe

Great review mate. The bikes are certainly getting better.
+ reps for the outstanding write up and lay out. hehe

Much appreciated mate, any constructive critiscism is welcome!

Probably time for an addition to the thread now that we've had the bikes for 6 months.

But the fact that I'm still buyin just about says enough lol

For there cost, especially when you get the occasional eBay bargain, the bikes are awesome. The addition of Pro Tapers, Kenda's and other high quality parts make the bikes great value for money. Haven't had a frame, swingarm or engine break down yet :D

Regards,
Carlton

im pretty sure what you just wrote was quoted out of the review so i dont understand what you are adding to this...

but anyway, i havent seen this thread previously and having just read it was amazed, great review and so informative, would love to see more like it!

Quick question.. did they stop making the 125 klx style? cause i wad looking for one after seeking this and i cant seem to find any on ebay...

^^^^ Cheers for the feedback guys! I will add more information included post riding review and the bigfoot brother build and review.

As for the 125cc Reigns, they are still available but they currently on eBay for bidding, only buy it now through the website. I assume this is only temporary while they rid themselves of Bigfoot overstocks ;)

+ rep, thanks for that.. yeah your review has made me decide 100% on a reign Im thinking i will just swap my nitrous 150 engine for the 125 as the 125 reign is way cheaper to buy as a bike then the 150 reign...

any chance you wanna sell the bigfoot? lol

Last edited:
Would if I had a spare one ;)

Brother has one, the one pictured went to my brothers gf, got another two which went to friends also lol

The bigfoots go well, but I dig the smaller wheel ones more though, feels more like a mini while retaining the comfy seating positioning. Just hold out and keep checking eBay and I guarantee a bargain will go your way!

Latest posts

Back