RevolutionMX TTR-style 155z... The wait is over..

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thump*140

Mini Riders Legend
Reaction score
Ok kiddies, grip your anuses, the RevolutionMX bike has finally arrived!!!!
Where do i start with this thing? i think it's safe to say nearly everyone on here knows about Russ's ambition to bring a high-end mini to ozzie pitbike riders, and to say the least, he's done it, and done it well... :) Mine finally arrived today after a few issues with a certain courier company, and was definately worth the wait!!!
To say i am impressed with this thing, would be a vast understatement... so here we go...

First impression:
Unwrapping the box, i was impressed with the packaging... the bike is secured nicely, and doesnt take long to ''unwrap''... like xmas all over again.. :D
Going over the bike, i am more than impressed with it, and surprised that it has turned out better than expected... Russ has managed to bring us a very well appointed bike, for very little money... A first glance over the bike you'll notice nice touches like a fuel tap that is actually mounted to the tank, and has a reserve on it... on-the-fly adjustable clutch.... Decent quality grips.... alloy quick-turn throttle... braided steel brake lines.... some very bright blue anodising... big brakes... the list goes on...
45 minutes saw my bike go from crated up, to unbolted, loctited, re-oiled, greased and running... so here are my thoughts so far...

Engine:
The 155z is supplied, oddly, with a 155z Gen II engine, running twin oil coolers. It features the updated 6-plate clutch, and some nice shiny brushed-alloy look engine cases... Induction is via an OKO26mm Flatslide, which, it's safe to say, is the new black as far as carbies go... and has set the benchmark in both carby standards for pitties, and performance upgrade numero Uno...
The engine installation in the frame is very tidy, and features some solid mounts, with rather chunky diameter bolts used, as opposed to what we're used to seeing. I changed the oil in mine for Castrol 4T before i even kicked mine over, and once fuelled up, fired after a few kicks... Those with OKO experience will know that it takes a little while to get fuel flowing through these carbs, but once in there, they start very easily....
I found starting the 155z very easy, but then i have a bit of experience booting over fourstrokes... given the capacity and compression of the motor, new owners may want to study the "decomp kick" starting method, but i had no issues, and have not experienced any kick back...
once warmed up, the 155z engine settled into a happy idle, and grabs revs VERY quickly with a flick of the throttle... The combination of the ORK, big bore exhaust, and OKO makes for one hell of a bark.. one thing owners will find, particularly those who have owned other pitties before, this thing is LOUD, and you will hear it coming... :D
The exhaust itself runs a 32mm header pipe, growing to a 38mm mid-pipe, exiting from a 41mm straight through muffler.. it breathes well, and sounds great..
The gearbox shifts very smoothly for a new one, and the clutch action of the new 6-plate clutch is smooth and progressive. The weight of pull offered by the On-the-fly quick adjust lever set-up is reasonably light, without any grabbiness in it's action. Feeding the clutch on from standing start produces a smooth take off, so the new clutch set up is a winner...
The Twin Oil Coolers are most definately a welcome addition, look great, and are relatively well protected behind the radiator shrouds. The increase in cooling capacity will be welcomed, and offer a longer life to the engine, and for those of us who will use the bike for racing, or want a long life out of it, the oil cooling capabilities will be an advantage. The extra quantity of oil held in the coolers will also aid in the longevity, and running temperature of the engine. Win all round really.. :)

Frame:
The Frame used for the RevolutionMX bike is a double-downtube, double cradle set up, with removable subframe. The double-downtube is of tubular cross-braced construction, and is mated to a very sturdy box-section double cradle. The rear-subframe is also of tubular construction, and extends 95% percent of the way down the rear guard, so for those who get caught by the snappy 155z motor, can rest assured there is a bit of frame protection at the back of the bike..The subframe finishes level with the end cap of the muffler, so if you flip it, damage will be minimal..
it also makes for very easy picking up of the bike, which doesnt feature a side stand. Being a light bike, with a strong subframe, you'll appreciate the ease of picking it up..
The welding on the frame appears clean and strong, and the solid mounting of the pegs is a big step forwards, particularly for racers or bigger riders, and saggy pegs or bent peg mounts are a thing of the past... The pegs themselves are very chunky numbers, wide, and grippy...
Ancillary mounts for things like the seat, muffler, plastics, tank etc etc, appear to have the same quality of the rest of the bike, and i cant see too many of these mounts being broken anytime soon....
Triple clamps are 5-groove adjustable items for reach, which will suit a large range (and size!!!) of riders, and are a strong cast alloy set up, as opposed to the billet slab triples we are getting used to seeing..
The swingarm is a very clean looking unit, with a minimal chain guide, also nice to see, having dragged (and broken) several CRF-style chain guides through ruts over the years... The alloy box-section swingarm seems to be well constructed, has some very clean welds, accurate chain adjustment increments (finally!!!) and a reasonably large cross section, particularly around the shock and linkage mount..

Suspension:
The TTR-style 155z has some quality appointments front and rear. DNM shocks and fork grace the bouncy ends of the bike, M-200 forks with Gold anodised outer tubes, and a UD-UHL rear shock with 300lb spring do the job of keeping the wheels stuck to the ground. Compression and rebound adjustments are offered at both ends, giving a good range of adjustment. Sitting on the bike, the linkage-rear makes it feel like a Jap bike.... the suspension takes the weight of the rider, and sags like a bike should.. you get off, and it springs back up again.... the gap is closing... :)
I weigh around 85kg these days, and the suspension "feels" okay for my weight putting around the yard... straight out of the box the rear sags nicely, as do the forks. Playing around the driveway over a few little steps, the forks seem to be on the stiff side, so a little tuning of the clickers will be done when i ride it, but the shock tracks nicely, and doesnt kick like a rigid-mount pitbike usually does... hitting the steps on the bling40, which runs a revalved FastAce BS62-RC, usually kicks a little sideways.. the DNM rear in the TTR tracks true and straight. WHilst this isnt totally indicative of it's performance, it's a good start when a bike holds a straight line over a square edged bump..
My only complaint with the suspension, is the accessability of the adjusters on the shock, which is almost non-existent. Rebound adjustment will require a flat head tip, and socket to adjust it, and compression adjustment will most likely see owners cutting an access hole in the left hand side cover, to get a screw driver straight onto the adjuster knob..
I will however, provide a much better review of suspension performance after i've ridden the bike on something other than pavement and steps... :p

Ergos:
The TTR-style bikes coming out these days are offering a whole new feel to pitbikes.. they are bigger, without being ''too'' big... wheelbases are getting longer, but the height of the bikes remain at the ''monster'' or bigfoot size, yet retaining the 14/12'' wheel set-up. The TTR-YZF inspired plastics and bodywork are far more comfortable than most other pitbikes on the market, and sitting on the bike has a very "japanese-mini" feel to it. Handlebars, levers, pegs and seat all fall to place nicely, and for riders my height (5'11'') and taller, you will be very comfortable on this bike.
The seat/tank junction is very long and flat for a mini, and it's very easy to move around the bike. Width across the radiator shrouds is minimal without being too skinny, as is the bulge around the R/H side cover over the muffler... Both the seated and standing position have been well measured, and both positions are comfortable to be in. The distance across the pegs is narrow, and assists in making the bike feel very chuckable...
The actual styling of the bike, whilst not entirely new, thanks to bikes like the Ciniworx CZX, PitsterPro LXR and the other one, is a great look. Or not, if you're a dyed in the wool Homo, sorry, Honda rider... ;) The YZF/TTR inspired bodywork is very smooth in it's fitment, and offers little in the way of snags when moving around the bike. Being based on ''shrunken" YZF plastics, it also opens up a massive choice of graphics kits, that dont have "Monster", "rockstar" or "metal Mulisha" written on it... Having owned yamahas for 25 years myself, i love the look of the bike, and have some pretty big plans in improving what is already a great looking bike. As the bikes become more common, we will see a greater choice of plastics colours, which will also give owners a bigger choice in graphics used... (JJC are you listening??? i want YELLOW plastics, to make another hurricane-kitted Mini!!!!)
For a china bike, the seat cover is also very well thought out... the top cover is kiiiinda grippy, but the sides of the seat cover are very grippy... this will enable the rider to hold the bike well with the knees, without one's ass being torn to shreds, as is common with most gripper seats.... no more monkey-butt for pittie riders with bigger engines... :)

Extra Bits and Pieces:
I cant review the bike without mentioning a few of the other goodies on the thing...
It features a 1/4 turn throttle, which is a nice titanium colour, and offers a smooth action, with a light pull. Renthal-style half waffle grips are a nice texture, and are a bit ''tackier'' than the usual pit-bike fair, without being snot-on-a-blanket tacky like DeathGrips....
Blue anodised alloy is featured throughout the bike, without going over the top. Hubs, axle blocks, lever perches and fuel cap accessorise the bike nicely, and tie in with the colour scheme of the new RevMX. A very solid gear lever is featured, which is a good length for riding with proper mx boots, and the bashplate is a thicker unit, offering a fair degree of protection to the engine, without being too close to the head, making valve clearance checks nice and easy...
The brakes are round rotors, of the large diameter cross-ventilated variety, with Twin piston fronts, and single piston rears... Initial braking tests show the brakes to be epic... endos are a piece of piss with one or two fingers, and the rear pulls me up very quickly, with a great degree of feel to the over-the-top lever.
The muffler is a large oval-type, straight through, with a CNC end cap, all in silver.
Blue anodised bearing-linkages round off the colour scheme.
Braided steel lines will assist in braking power, and whilst the front brake lever is a non-bendy type, it does offer reach adjustment, and will suit a variety of hand sizes.
The blue/powder blue and silver colour scheme works well, is nice and clean without being over the top (i'm pointing at you Ciniworx... :p)

The other great selling point, is the spares kit... tyed in with the bike, was a box containing the muffler plug, a very comprehensive jetting kit, front and rear tubes, and a spare oil filter.. Once the suppliers are sorted, the spares kit will also include a spare chain and air filter... Brava to Russ, for this kit... very smart, very handy..

In Summary:

Overall, this bike has astounded me. I may be somewhat biased, given i was reasonably well involved in it's conception, but it has turned out a hell of a lot better than i expected, and i've been privvy to all the details of the bike right from the start, so i knew what to expect... having the bike in my shed, and going over all the details of it, Russ has truly introduced us to a new era in Australian MiniBike riding...
A bike that offers epic performance, for a very affordable price is now here, to join the likes of the Ciniworx CZX175.
Like any new model of anything, longterm reliability, and outright performance remains to be seen, but i'm confident that my first ride tomorrow, will surprise me as much as the actual quality and build of the bike has.

For the princely sum of $2k, any potential buyer cant go wrong... this thing's awesome... :)

I'm intending to do a hell of a lot of riding, testing and development on the new RevMX TTR155z over the weekend, and the coming weeks, and will be racing it at Tea Tree Gully on the 30th, so as i get to know my bike better, and find any standout points, faults, and solutions, keep watching this thread as i'll post my findings up in here...

In the meantime, my apologies for the lengthy review again, but this thing has been a long time coming, and even though it's just a bike, it's ushering in a new era along with Ciniworx, and we welcome RevolutionMX, and Russ, to the mix, as well as being a new site sponsor... The clouds are a-brewing, and things are looking pretty exciting for us MiniRiders in the future... never before has such a huge range of choices in bike been available to us.... i'm looking forward to seeing what comes next...

Here's the pics!!!

Last edited:
Pics:
I may or may not still be sporting wood over it... :p

TTR155z044-1.jpg

TTR155z052.jpg

TTR155z053.jpg

TTR155z057.jpg

TTR155z062.jpg

TTR155z061.jpg

Last edited:
people are impatient, so Thump is putting the remaining pics in Seans post... for continuity's sake of course... :p

TTR155z063.jpg

TTR155z060.jpg

TTR155z059.jpg

TTR155z058.jpg

TTR155z056.jpg

TTR155z055.jpg

TTR155z054.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Travis the only thing i can see this bike needing, is a fuel filter yes, a tub of grease, and a steady supply of back tyres... early days yet, but so far my initial set-up hasnt required a thing.... :D

hahhaha thump.. nice edit i did there...

1 thing tht grabbed my attention... that shtbox looking kick starter... let us know how it goes..

also it would be great if you could review the ignition on it for us... thro the timing light on it and see if its like the lifan ork...

anyways, awesome review man...as always

Niceee

i want one more now have to do a ride review for me cause ive just hit 6f tall and my 110 is getting to small

you need to carry a bucket/crate with you cause its got no stand lol

the engine looks very roomy and not conjested like all the other bikes do. why tape over the vertmax stickers ? lol

sunny, youl find pretty much all race bikes dont have a kick stand ither..

09crf, the tape is cos there was a big shit fight between 2 company's, one not so happy with the name.. so i guess theres tape over the first lot and the newer shipments will have the different name on the kit

good review thump;)

Last edited:
hahhaha thump.. nice edit i did there...

1 thing tht grabbed my attention... that shtbox looking kick starter... let us know how it goes..

also it would be great if you could review the ignition on it for us... thro the timing light on it and see if its like the lifan ork...

anyways, awesome review man...as always
ha ha, yeah Sean, i thought you were rather clever with that edit.. ha ha!!
The blue kickstarter is just a spare i had laying around the shed, but i like it a hell of a lot better than the stock 1922 model CRF-style kicker... not only that, but the GPX style kickstart lever doesnt fit the new Gen II motor with 6 plate clutch.... the billet one i had laying around does, with plenty of space to spare... i actually really like this style of lever, as it raises the leverage ratio, and turns the motor over quicker per kick, dont bend if kicked properly, i like the look of them, and this one is shiny blue. like the rest of the bike. ha ha!!
yeh keep me posted about how long tyres last :p and whether changing to a different tyre would last long.
that kick start lever is custom yes? :p
yes mate, lever is a $15 billet job from JR's in China..
i imagine back tyres wont last too long, especially for quicker riders, those who go the 175 route, or ride hard pack constantly..
Niceee

i want one more now have to do a ride review for me cause ive just hit 6f tall and my 110 is getting to small

you need to carry a bucket/crate with you cause its got no stand lol

yeah mate, i'm taking it out for it's maiden ride tomorrow, so the review will be up soon on how well it rides.... if i can find someone to go with me, i'll have vids and pics as well...
if you're around 6ft, then you will fit onto this bike very well, as opposed to a klx or CRF style bigfoot mini...
and yes, no stand means bucket, crate or stand....

Cant have everything, but it's only a minor niggle..

lean against a tree works to lol

mph i got 1/2 of what i need for this so still could be a few months to get one

actually just had a brain fart...
if these are the true z160HO engine it should be fitted from factory with a decomp cam.

quoted from DHZ site
Key Features:
-Close-ratio transmission
-6 Plate clutch with Daytona clutch basket
-Removable oil filter
-New camshaft design with anti-kick back
-Daytona style outer rotor..

so really those kick starters should last.

"thump finds 10mm spanner to whip cam cover off"

Sean you may be right... it's the Gen II z motor, and the cylinder is marked 160cc.... not 155... it is relatively easy to kick over... Sneezy has a yx140 with z40 cam in his poopro, and that's a hell of a lot harder to kick over than this engine...

so there is every possibility that this engine is the 160HO motor, not the 155z... Russ should be able to clarify that however...

gears are well spaced in the bottom two, i run out of driveway before i'm even game to click third, so it may well be the HO motor...
and yes, the shpanky billet kickstarter should hold up ok... i've been running one on the Bling40 since new, and that's got slightly bumped compression, 7mm lift cam etc, and the kicker is still perfectly straight where they normally "bend" and rotate on the pivot spline...

Only thing I can see it needing is a rear shock cover... Other than that, it looks awesome sauce! :D

yeah have been thinking the same thing... trip to the wreckers i think, see if i can find something to fit. :)

sweet as thump good to see em finally hit the land

probably the only down fall i find on these ones are the harsh dnm front shock but thats preference and you just wait till you land the 175 in that thing the differance out of the cornors is huge. i would also question the cast triples maybe some extra coin on the next batch should be spend there for both strength and finish.
i also dont like the down slope on the china taper bars you gotta run em to far forward to make em feel any good.

i dont know mate if you have riden the pitster lxr but i found the peg width on both the pitster and the dominator way to wide makeing the bike feel very bulky where as the peg setup on this and the ciniworx make for a narrower feel between ya legs promaoting as you say chuckability this is something honda and yamaha have been working hard at (making the bike narrower).

as i would love to get my hands on one of these hint hint (mitch_250) just to compare the suspension setup between this and the cini.

regardless all good things will come

on a far fetched note a little birdy has told me yx are trying to develop a 30 horse power 250 engine which will be a blitz rig killer!!!!!!

coolie

p.s love the grey tape he he he dig dig

p.p.s ooo yeah the linkage and shock fills up with mud real bad i'd be a lil worried about bent linkages but ando's has proven me wrong so far

yeah i'll be interested to see how the DNM forks go tomorrow... i'm fat and kinda quick, so i might be ok with it, but they definately seem to be valved and sprung for faster or heavier riders...
I havent had a chance to throw a leg over an LXR yet, i'm hoping to meet someone in SA that has one, and might wish to compare horses..
i agree with the peg width, this thing feels real narrow, without feeling like your trying to grip a BMX between your legs... I like that they're solid mounted too, as it means no bent or saggy pegs and mounts...
I'm trying out the 155/160HO motor tomorrow, then the 175 sitting on my bench is going in for testing... The Bling40 will probably donate the 28mm OKO just for good measure, and it will make an outing in bigblock guise at TTG race day i reckon....
The next Minibike shootout is definately going to be a different ball game, linkage monsters everywhere.. things have certainly stepped up lately....
Just taking a few photos out the front of my house today, 6 cars pulled up to see what the hell it was... generating a lot of interest...

and yeah, the grey tape makes this bike so much faster now... :p

Blitz killer you say? hmm.... back to the drawing board for engine mods, says i.... ;)

lol. Loving the duct tape, might want to edit the first pic though...

Sounds like a good bike.. Didn't see any down side in the bike? Surely there is some? No bike is perfect.

Latest posts

Back