Road Registration & Compliance Plate

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeePeeJay

Reaction score
I've been searching around for a few hours on the web now, so be gentle with me...

Why can't a motorbike that is not fitted with compliance plate still apply for registration if it meets the inspection criterea?

I live in South Australia, and I'm pretty sure that some people have built or restored bikes that have not had a compliance plate - but they get hem inspected at "Regency Park".

Take the Atomik Kuda Pro for example, which comes with Head & Tail Light, Indicators, Mirrors, Digital Dash for Recreational Registration and I'm thinking - "Why can't this be registered for road use? Has anybody tried?".

Recreational Registration doesn't even seem to apply in SA?!? (Am I wrong?)

Can anyone point me to some more information about road registration requirements. Has anybody tested this yet? I'd be prepared to spend a few hundred doing the test, especially if they gave me a list of things I had to fix to meet registration requirements.

Or is it just plain "Not worth my time - it can't be done"? If so, when, where, who and why?

I'd love to know more...

Cheers

Hey DeePeeJay, how are ya?

Mate, this question has the most frustrating answer. That magic little plate, is worth all the money in the world when it comes to registering a vehicle. Without it, registering a non-complianced vehicle, is either impossible, or is an exercise in engineering futility. To register a vehicle in sa that is not fitted with compliance plate, it would need to be engineer certified, which would cost massive amounts of money, and time in testing, and meeting specifications and regulations that should be reserved for space ships, and bikes fitted with electronic turbos and EDC chips.. I havent seen or heard whether you scored yourself a Blitz or Kuda Pro, (or if you actually got one yet) but despite them being the "latest" model available from that particular company, getting them to meet ADR's would be impossible, when going through Regencies.. (i'm from Adelaide too, i know what they're like... :() Meeting the emission control would be damn near impossible with the standard carby set-up as well...
Long story short, is burueacratical short-sightedness, and being difficult basically, will make getting your bike complianced an exercise in futility....

HOWEVER, there is a sneaky way around it... I'm not going to "put it in print" on here, but PM me if your interested Mr DeePeeJay...

Oh and if you end up with a Blitz or Kuda Pro, and feel like a shed-day to get the thing sorted, i may have learnt a trick or two about dialling these ones in... :)

Thanks Thump - I can't PM you because you are over your message limit... Perhaps you can PM me?

I'm still on the fence about a bike because of this whole street thing. Connor, (my son) and I have built a smallish track on out 2 achre property in Murray Bridge, but nothing beats getting out to somewhere line Jams etc... The thing I'm worried about is that I will buy a bike, ride it for a few weeks, and then only go out once and a while. If I had a street registerable bike I would ride it way more often.

When I get a bike, I'd definately like to take you up on the offer of a shed day.

Thanks - your work on the forum is brilliant. Especially thanks for your street reg reply so far.

BTW, my son has a PitPro 140CC which is missing and farting through the carbi and won't idle. Its better when it gets warmed up, but still sounds like it's missing. I've done the following:
- Changed spark plug to the standard colder plug (from 7 to 6)
- Adjusted the idle
- Checked the ingition system for obvious loose wires and other bits etc...
- Cleaned and checked the air filter, (it runs the same with it on or off)
- Done a plug stop - looks lean
- Checked for leaks from carbi to manifold by spraying WD40 while running, no change in revs
- Adjusted the fuel screw, (boy did that take some finding on the forums AND the bike) - It ran better, but still the same. Idles OK now when warm though. This was a really hard step and I don't think I did a great job of it.
- Done another plug stop - no change, still looks lean.

I think I need to clean the carbi next, but it sounds like an ignition problem to me, where the fuel is not igniting.

Any thoughts?

hmm, may have to clean out the mailbox then..
i'll pm you some more details in regards to getting around the rego thing when i have a bit more time up my sleeve.
As for Connor's 140, i think you may find that the #6 is hotter in plug range. The higher the number, the lower the heat, ie: if you wanted to drop a heat level, you would use an "8" plug, rather than a 6..
The rough running could be attributable to valve clearances being incorrect. Have you checked them since purchasing the bike? Quite often incorrect valve clearances will present themselves as jetting problems, and the problems suddenly disappear once the valve clearances are set properly.
The link below might be of some assistance.
http://www.miniriders.com.au/motor-tutorials/20425-good-guide-adjusting-valves.html
If you have the time and inclination, pull the carby down and take down the jetting specs, and pm them to me, we'll see if we're in the ball park as far as jetting goes.
Glad to be of some help mate.

I was dreading the valve clearances - I've read the excellent post with pictures on how to do it, but it looked like something you don't want to stuff up. I agree it could be valves though. I'll have another look at the guide before proceeding.

thanks

Valve clearances sound a lot scarier than what they actually are. It's quite a simple process to do, and difficult to stuff up to the point of doing damage to the motor. it is possible to get the clearance wrong, and for the motor to not start, or be difficult to start, but to lunch a motor is quite difficult just with clearances.
I'm hoping to find the time this weekend to do a clearer and more concise tute thread for the mini horizontal engines, or if you have the time and inclination, a shed day could be organised and the valves done then. :)

Thanks Thump - The inclination is there but the time is lacking - working on a renovation at the moment (If I don't get the main bedroom inhabitable by Novemeber I'll have BIG trouble from the wife) as well as playing in a band (three gigs in October) and doing sound and lights for my daughters theatre company, (Oliver opens October 2nd for 3 days). I reakon I'll have a crack at the valve clearences a few weeks after that though... :)

If that doesn't do the trick, I'd definately like to organise a shed day for Connor and me. Cheers Mate

Any time mate, here to help any locals with spanner time when they need it...
Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you there, good to see the priorities have been set. (bedroom for the lil missus.. he he)

Valve clearances can be done in under 30 mins once you've done them once and learnt the process, but i sympathize with the inclination not matching the time allowed in the shed!!! :)

LOL!!! flux capacitor tuner :) i like, i like :)

back to rego.

RTA site. theres a lot of rubbish to read through, but the info is there...

what thumps saying about engineering certs etc is true. youre looking at 1400 roughly for just a cert...and the problem with getting one is that the RTA will knock it back regardless, as the vehicle is IMPORTED as a RECREATIONAL vehicle.

unlike the motovert/yamoto/some z50's

year model also plays a part... so my 1964 c90 has no compliance plate.... and was a lot esier to get registered than my "new, complianced" yamoto hunkajunk( also, after much discussion with the RTA, once registered, you dont need the compliance plate. as long as you have proof of previous rego..ie, the papers)

there is the option of "homebuilt" bikes... that comply to a different set of standards... i also wont say anything definite about that topic in print :p just hint at it...

and... getting a "letter of compliance" from the manufacturer. im fairly sure this would be the way to get an uncompliant Z50 registered.....

also note that bikes like the crf450 are not intended for road use... yet are registerable. theres loop holes everywhere, just finding out about them is tricky...

the main issue is because of stolen vehicles and rebirthing. while a lil thumpy is only a few grand, and who cares, the rules have to be written to cater for bikes such as harleys etc.... that are stolen all too often.... a case of trying to please all the people all the time... it cant be done.

and insurance/liability etc.... unfortunately this is australia, not the phillipines...

the best laugh i had was ringing the ADR board in canberra about my tuk tuk...the answer i got was :eek: you have a tuk tuk that was registered!?!?!?" yep. has a compliance plate and number plate. and wasnt that a bitch to find out what the standards are....

^^^ you have a tuk tuk?? Dude that's awesome!!! knobbies + esky + tuk tuk = ultimate trackside vehicle. :D

I think my thread has been hijacked by a tuk tuk! Let's see the photos then...

^^^you've actually got me half interested to drop into Regency on the way home and just ask about rego for "shifty" bikes...
but yes, as for this tuk tuk...

headsmess... pics or ban... no pics, didnt happen. lol

tuk tuk my asss

hey also on antoher note , Honda now DO NOT send out a letter of compliance for your bike , its tuff do do's

or should i say tuff tuk tuk

pre 1968 i think no need for plate , easy rego , or else the boys have covered most off it

soo tuk tuk awayyyyyyyyyyys

Latest posts

Back