Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my67xr

Miniriders Legend and Master Spanner Spinning Mode
Reaction score
ok here is my old girl.
it is a Cigweld 180SE, i originally bought it new in 2000 for $1200
it hasn't had a major failure in it's time, but i have been through plenty of tips (100+), a couple of liners, 2x gas hoses, 3x regulators, and i had to fix the wire spool holder too.
and have slightly modified the outputs on the Transformer too to give me a touch more top end.
and also added a fibreglass pole with elastic straps to the lead to stop it bending so much back where it comes out

i'm stoked on how it performs

i use a 15kg spool of .6 wire, due to me doing a lot of panel work
i have 3 automatic helmets i use with it, and a couple of fixed shade old school ones too.

I have just bought an ebay cheapy gasless mig welder, I'll try and get some pics up soon

i have 3 automatic helmets i use with it, and a couple of fixed shade old school ones too.

But you have flash burn proof eyes, think I've seen you put one on once....out of all the times you've welded stuff...

yeah, that's how i keep my sun tan during winter. :laughing-smiley-002

I have a Mig,tig and arc welder in one. Actually performs quite well.
We got it from ebay its a tokentools and has lasted countless hours of re-welding car parts and making random things haha

1.jpg

Haha. I just use gasless wire. Im not really that switched on with welding haha. I just plug it in and if it blows holes i turn it down. Haha.

Here is my welder,
06510med.jpg

just a cheap gasless that was given to me, it broke when I went to use it today however, having trouble with the wire feed. Resorted to my good old stick welder to get the job done.

I have just tried welding with my gasless mig, and I did not mind it, nothing like the BOC's I've used, but ok nonetheless. I'll do a review soon, once my camera starts to work again. Damn splatter is crazy though, it goes everywhere...

So just doing a bit of research on this as I should be moving very soon and will have actual shed space :thumbup: and a shed with a light,unlike my current place(yep 21st century stuff...awesome)!!

Are the gasless MIG welders any good? I realistically would be looking at $250 max for a welder I may even buy one second hand...I dont have serious income atm and it would just be something to learn with really. Any recommendations from anyone in the know on this stuff would be great.

i used Gasless wire starting out, and i guess it was ok for the money.
it was an Italian made 130A portable Gas/Gasless Mig, it cost me $400 new in 1990.
it looked a bit like this one, but smaller-

REND3360CustomImage1583753.jpg

a gasless weld is pretty messy, it spatters a lot leaving dots of molten metal every where across the area you weld, plus all the flux spatter that you need to clean up after too.
so it causes a lot of work to clean it up if it is going to be something that you can easily see etc
they also put at least double the heat through whatever you weld, so not too good for panel work on cars etc
the Flux Cored Wire is twice the price of normal Mig wire too.
and it gives off a bigger flash/arc with the flux in the wire and the spatter, you just about need a welding helmet with a darker shade screen, but then that makes it too hard to see the weld as you do it.
to use it with Gas (argon) in the throw away bottles you don't get much welding time
and the cheaper welders can be hard to find tips for too, the gasless wire can cause the tips to arc out with the extra heat and spatter, and you'll go through a few.

if you want to have a go at welding come down one day and we'll make a start on your towbar mounted motorcycle carrier.
you can have a go and see what you think.

i used Gasless wire starting out.
The Flux Cored Wire is twice the price of normal Mig wire too.
and it gives off a bigger flash/arc with the flux in the wire and the spatter, you just about need a welding helmet with a darker shade screen, but then that makes it too hard to see the weld as you do it.
to use it with Gas (argon) in the throw away bottles you don't get much welding time
and the cheaper welders can be hard to find tips for too, the gasless wire can cause the tips to arc out with the extra heat and spatter, and you'll go through a few.

if you want to have a go at welding come down one day and we'll make a start on your towbar mounted motorcycle carrier.
you can have a go and see what you think.

Ok yeah that sits with the research I did. Makes sense as why some of the kits come with extra tips. I most likely wont be using it for panel work on cars...more so just doing things bike related, making/modifying brake mounts etc etc. Would be kinda good to have for work too and making stuff for the garden out of old junk.

Yeah sounds good! I'm sure I can do it, looking at lights for that now actually, just put a bid in for some LED trailer lights all of $5 and the listing ends tomorrow arvo...he has 3 of the exact same up and nobody has bid cause he messed the photos up!! :thumbup:

Thats real similar to my welder craig^^ I have only kust recently been given mine so haven't got it set up working properly yet and now the wire feed has broken. Oh well just another thing to fix.

Thats real similar to my welder craig^^ I have only kust recently been given mine so haven't got it set up working properly yet and now the wire feed has broken. Oh well just another thing to fix.
this is a bit closer to my old one, but this has been hammered
Dual MIG Welder 120 in Eagleby, QLD | eBay

i had to fix my wire feed motor mounting too

I did look into eBay and also Craigslist for used TIG welder, I then came across Longevity. They seem to have great prices with the best warranty on the net so I figured I could pay the same for a welder from their company and get warranty then buying from eBay or Craigslist so I gave them a call. They offered me a great memorial day special with Free shipping and 5 year warranty. I couldn't pass that up. I went ahead and pulled the trigger and I will be expecting it some time next week.
Thanks for your options!
Here's the welder I purchased:
TIGWELD 200 SX, Welders | Longevity Global Inc

I have a 150 amp arc. Welding takes more skill than writing with a pen.

Wish I could get a mig or tig but can't afford to hire the gas. Auto feed is awesome. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was just using my little welder this morning and reminded me of this thread, here it is in all it's basic glory! :action-smiley-035:

Latest posts

Back