So my gearbox stoped working...

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timeeh

Go Go Gadget Moderator
Supporter
Reaction score
As some may of read, my last race meet at Baccus last year on the last race of the day the gearbox went on my bike.... So inbetween working, and moving I finally dropped the engine today to try and find the cause. Think i may of found it? What do you guys think? Should it buff out?
IMAG1070.jpg

Also found a washer amongst all that, any idea where it may of sprung from?
IMAG1071.jpg

SO next question, is it possible/easy enough to remove without a clutch remover, i brought one a while ago after noticing the clutch slipping, but the damn things too big. And where do you think is the best place to buy a replacement, also i have a 6 plate kit to fit in it so i dont need the plates, but dont thing anyone will supply without them.

Ahahaha She's fricken toast!

Your one lucky bugger mate, I have just what your after! Pm me you address n I'll send it down to ya.

I just bought a whole brand new clutch for mine hoping it would fix my issues but as it turns out my dog gears had gone so I have 1 whole complete clutch setup at home doing sweet F/A

The castle nuts a bit foobarr'd but everything else is in good order. The clutch itself is on 24 hours old!

The washer goes on the kickstart shaft before the clutch cover goes on.
Have fun cleaning the alloy bits out the bottom of the cases too, i'd say there is a bit in the filter screen too.

The washer goes on the kickstart shaft before the clutch cover goes on.
Have fun cleaning the alloy bits out the bottom of the cases too, i'd say there is a bit in the filter screen too.

LOL yea mate, its that bad i cant even put the sump plug back in.... Gonna get to what i can with a cloth then fill it with kerosene and empty then repeat.... Havn't even opened the filter yet...

The castle nut for the clutch you should be able to undo with a large flat head screwdriver and a hammer.
Jam the clutch basket gear and crank gears up with a bunched up clothed in between them first to help lock it up

The castle nut for the clutch you should be able to undo with a large flat head screwdriver and a hammer.
Jam the clutch basket gear and crank gears up with a bunched up clothed in between them first to help lock it up

No point jamming the clutch basket as there is none left, but i can jam the remaining plate teeth which im hoping should do the trick, might just wait for a clutch socket as i'll have to wait for the clutch anyway. Cheers mate :)

Ahahaha She's fricken toast!

Your one lucky bugger mate, I have just what your after! Pm me you address n I'll send it down to ya.

I just bought a whole brand new clutch for mine hoping it would fix my issues but as it turns out my dog gears had gone so I have 1 whole complete clutch setup at home doing sweet F/A

The castle nuts a bit foobarr'd but everything else is in good order. The clutch itself is on 24 hours old!

Hey mate, just noticed this is already running a 6 plate, are you sure this will fit the YX or is it off a Z160? think they might be different

Its off a 155z but the 6 plate kind.

I have an impact screwdriver hence the mangled castle nut! Lol

Nick has a spare socket to fit it, but he's away for the next 2 weeks.

The gearbox will still try and turn over as you try to undo the castle nut.

Buy the socket off ebay, or is this one the same as what you bought 24mm ?- Clutch HUB NUT OIL Filter Removal Tool Suit Honda CT110 Postie Bike CT110X ALL | eBay
or the smaller 20mm socket-
Motion PRO Counter Balancer Clutch HUB Spanner Socket Honda 20mm Removal Tool | eBay

I tried fitting the 6 plate basket into my Lifan 150 but it was too deep.
How many teeth on your basket ? if it's 67 this will fit
Genuine Lifan 140 150 CC Complete 5 Plate Clutch Unit | eBay
this one is the 20mm

Last edited:
The gearbox will still try and turn over as you try to undo the castle nut.

Buy the socket off ebay, or is this one the same as what you bought 24mm ?- Clutch HUB NUT OIL Filter Removal Tool Suit Honda CT110 Postie Bike CT110X ALL | eBay
or the smaller 20mm socket-
Motion PRO Counter Balancer Clutch HUB Spanner Socket Honda 20mm Removal Tool | eBay

I tried fitting the 6 plate basket into my Lifan 150 but it was too deep.
How many teeth on your basket ? if it's 67 this will fit
Genuine Lifan 140 150 CC Complete 5 Plate Clutch Unit | eBay
this one is the 20mm

Ah, i see what you mean. Cheers. The clutch nut will be the smaller i think it has a 22mm outer and 18mm teeth... so im guessing the smaller one. Apparerntly the 6 plate fits (according to DHZ, but been bum steered before) so i'll give it a shot :)

Ah, i see what you mean. Cheers. The clutch nut will be the smaller i think it has a 22mm outer and 18mm teeth... so im guessing the smaller one. Apparerntly the 6 plate fits (according to DHZ, but been bum steered before) so i'll give it a shot :)
Pretty sure the big gear on the back of the basket needs to be swapped over for the 6 plate basket to work on a yx. I went the other way, 5 plate tb clutch basket on to a 160ho (came off a yx ) and the gear that came off the back was a different size to the 6 plate.

Pretty sure the big gear on the back of the basket needs to be swapped over for the 6 plate basket to work on a yx. I went the other way, 5 plate tb clutch basket on to a 160ho (came off a yx ) and the gear that came off the back was a different size to the 6 plate.

Might go count the teeth today, see what i currently have.

^Just had another quick squiz then. Not sure on the teeth as i dont have enough fingers and toes.... :p But the thickness of the plates looked different. So with my spechal measuring tool, worked out the current/std plates are 3mm thick, the new plates are 2.5, so with that in mind the old plates add up to 15mm and so do the new 6 plates, so it should be fine i reckon. Soon find out anyway ;)

Timmeh! are going to run a yx clutch basket on a zonger?
if thats true.. it'll go on and work... just abit unsure on the plunger that pushes on to the inner to engage the the clutch... it might not be long enough... or you might have to readjust your clutch cable to suit, but the yx and zonger baskets are interchangeable, i spoke with terry from firepower minis and he reckons if i put a zonger clutch basket on my yx, itll touch the casings so you should be good for clearance, they have the exact same tooth count, one is just slightly deeper to accompany the extra plate
hope you get her sorted!!!

ok so.... its a goood yx! :p lol umm unsure if it might touch then, i cant tell if tims running the daytona style? because ive got a good solution!

Guess ill suck ot and see, reading a few pages on the net it seems the 155z and the yx160 are Tue same clutch, so we'll see what happens. Worst case I fork out the extra and put a billet tb of bucci in there.

Latest posts

Back