Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxy71

Reaction score
I know this question has probably been asked a million times but I've searched and searched and I'm having trouble finding anything recent. I NEED help with 49cc quads.

I have a boy nearly 4 crazy mad about quads and bikes. I am looking at getting him a little quad. Now, I'm a girl, I have no clue and certainly not a heap of money to spend. I myself do not ride and neither do his much much older sisters but he needs something for him away from the females. I have found at Caboolture Showgrounds North Brisbane Friday nights the kids can ride so think this will be great for him to have something that is just for him.

Please any pointers would be appreciated in simpleton terms as well please.

Roxy

Hi,
and welcome to miniriders.

it all depends on what your budget is. quads can range from $200-$700 in the 49cc range, depending on the quality you are after, ebay can be a good source of Quads and ATV's.

One like this for instance:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/49CC-ATV...9231190?pt=AU_PocketBikes&hash=item485ab18ed6

I'm sure would suit your son and is fairly cheap, with a governor speed limiter perfect for learning kids.
i bought one for my nephew a few months ago and he has not gotten off it since, and have had no major problems with it.

or you could look at something like this, for a bit more money. these sort have a sturdier frame with more heavy duty suspension.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/49CC-ATV...2712443?pt=AU_PocketBikes&hash=item2c79d7467b.

whether you spend $100 or $500, there are not many things that can go wrong with these bikes with little kids riding them.

so have a look on eBay or gumtree, if you think youve found one you like and your still not too sure on it, post up a link and we'll be happy to assure you weather it will suit to your needs or not.

I'm just going to say in terms of experience for your sake try to stay away from the 2 stroke budget bikes if at all possible they are really hit and miss in terms of reliability and could end up just being scrap and the poor little fella would be devastated.
There's to many things with the 2 strokes that can go wrong and with mixing fuel ratios the pull cords can snap in your hand just a bunch of little things.
I'd be more looking at a cheap 4 stroke electric start so he could start it himself and with the little lad riding it there would be bugger all in maintenance.
Find one with a kill cord so if he takes a tumble the bike shuts off.
But like you said its a matter of money and what you can afford at the time, don't take me wrong the little 2 strokes can be a good starting point but can also be a massive pain in the ass unlike the little 4 strokes.

I'm just going to say in terms of experience for your sake try to stay away from the 2 stroke budget bikes if at all possible they are really hit and miss in terms of reliability and could end up just being scrap and the poor little fella would be devastated.
There's to many things with the 2 strokes that can go wrong and with mixing fuel ratios the pull cords can snap in your hand just a bunch of little things.
I'd be more looking at a cheap 4 stroke electric start so he could start it himself and with the little lad riding it there would be bugger all in maintenance.
Find one with a kill cord so if he takes a tumble the bike shuts off.
But like you said its a matter of money and what you can afford at the time, don't take me wrong the little 2 strokes can be a good starting point but can also be a massive pain in the ass unlike the little 4 strokes.

Very wise words.

Welcome to miniriders bud don't be sorry to ask a question! I have to agree with Brendo I no from experience that any thing that's 2 stroke that is a lil on the cheaper side brings nothing but problems

Thanks so much guys, I'll keep shopping around, I have until April until he turns 4 and can start riding at the showgrounds. I haven't seen any 49cc bikes that aren't 2 stroke so I guess I'll have to step up to a 70cc for 4 stroke. There are a few stores around selling chinese import bikes so might take him out to see how he goes size wise for the bigger bike and then go from there. I did sit him on a friends 70cc home made bike but his little fingers couldn't reach the levers. I'll keep scouring the pages on the forum though for more information. Thanks again. No doubt once he does get one his sisters who are 21 and 18 will no doubt want to get bikes too, but they can pay for their bloody own. lol

man!!! i wish i was 4 :p, he would be one lucky little bugger......
now ive found good little quad for him... its about $689 thats including the shipping.... as its from melb.....
its 4 stroke.... so no mixing.... longer life...MORE RIDING FOR HIM!! :p
It has a governor screw which means you can limit the throttle (its a screw you just have to screw in to suit)
The brand is fairley new to the scene but i haven't heard anything bad about em!! Its a GMX 70cc
and i think GMX also sponsor this site!!
THE LINK : http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Quad-Bike-ATV-70cc-SPORTS-Green-By-GMX-/121118329740?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Ride_On_Toys&hash=item1c33370b8c&_uhb=1

Funny you should post that one, it's actually the one he picked out when I was looking on ebay and of course "it HAS to be green mummy".

We actually have a guy at Caboolture Markets selling GMX quads, he is a bit pricier but I guess once you add the freight probably works out the same. Guess it's just the measuring game for his little hands.

Hi Roxy welcome to Miniriders.

Have you had a look in at Small Wheel Deals at Morayfield? Pretty close to where you are and
I'm pretty sure he has quads. Nootsy is a real nice bloke and is usually really helpful if he's not too busy.

Yes I went in on Saturday, their 70cc bikes are too big for the little blokes hands he can't reach. just not sure as the bikes look exactly like Ice Bear bikes and I've read quite a bit of negative stuff. I'm going back in on Wednesday to see if I can get a spec sheet so I can do some comparing. You're right though the young guy I spoke to was very nice, might bring the two single daughters down with me next time go :p

Yep they're good guys in there, and they really do look after their returning customers. Like Brendo said earlier, there's not a great deal that will go wrong if he's just putting around the back yard. Plus a bit of general maintenance and up keep every now and then will make sure it keeps working the way it should.

Just be mindful of people selling one off's and blokes selling out of stalls, as they usually don't like to hear about the broken parts that came out of the box!

You came to the right place, and we're happy to help out where we can. So if you decide on one but aren't sure if it's a lemon or not post up a picture and ask one of the boys, they've most likely either owned one or know about them.

Rot50's the man with all the quads, he'll answer all your Q's too! :)

Do 70's come in different sizes, it seems the only problem we will have is his little fingers reaching the lever thingy's (I got no clue what they are). is this something that can be adjusted so they don't sit so far away from the handgrips.

Do 70's come in different sizes, it seems the only problem we will have is his little fingers reaching the lever thingy's (I got no clue what they are). is this something that can be adjusted so they don't sit so far away from the handgrips.
You can buy after market ones for him why not go red http://www.dhz.com.au/buy/red-folderback-clutch-brake-levers/CON-21
Or take a chance take the stock ones off and bend them with a vice and a bit of pipe (be gentle though they like to snap the stock ones do)
i started off on a atomik 70 at the age 7 however i am now a giant.. (a skinny one)
the only smaller would be the 50's but he probably wont get as much use out of it as the 70

Unfortunately I'm not entirely sure of the quad your talking about. :)

From my understanding pirch's (the bits that hold on to the lever thingys) are a pretty standard size, my guess would be if his little hands aren't capable of reaching the clutch/front brake levers then the bikes probably too big for him.

I'll have to phone a friend on that :D

Last edited:
Might talk to the young guys at the shop and see if they can do that. Thanks it's certainly worth looking in to

Latest posts

Back