Splitfire ignition lead

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They dont make much of a difference but definatly a better quality cap over the original

does replacing the coil with a heavy duty one make much of a difference ive found alot of heavy duty ones on ebay red ones and orange ones are they any better ?

i have a SplitFire lead pretty much the same as the one in the link on my Atomik Fuse.
although mine has the blue silicon ends on the adapter and on the spark plug end too.
the leads are better quality than the standard black leads, they have stainless stranded wires inside,
instead of the copper single wire.
it is more corrosion resistant, and less likely to break if it is kinked etc.
the big adapters supplied with coil/leads also contain a capacitor,
this holds the spark until the peak is reached, giving you a consistent high voltage spark.
so a better spark makes a better burn in the cylinder, a more consistent/higher voltage spark will give the bike a little more power, and run more efficiently (same power with less fuel use)

a better quality coil will help the motor run better too
the performance coils on ebay, some perform better than others.
it all depends on the coils' internal winding ratio, to what the voltage output is.

i have maybe 4? spare coils atm, with a couple being "performance" coils (a Koso, and an orange china no brand)
and i'm thinking of setting up some comparison tests,
i'll be recording the static readings of each coil (primary and secondary windings) on the bench, and also their output readings.
i have a variable voltage power supply that will give me a consistant voltage.
then i can compare each coil, and find out which one works better.

another thing is i recommend that you fit a decent brand Irridium Spark Plug,
my preferance is the Japanese NGK CR7HIX,
the cost is around $13 if bought on Ebay UK, and around $18 at most automotive/bike shops in AU atm
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NGK-IRIDI...19c1d83&_uhb=1

ill be interested to see the comparison of the coils if you do it as they say performance but theres no way really to tell if there any better than what you have already with out testing them, ill prob buy the lead it can only help are they hard to fit ? my bike came with a ngk plug its not an irridium though

i have a SplitFire lead pretty much the same as the one in the link on my Atomik Fuse.
although mine has the blue silicon ends on the adapter and on the spark plug end too.
the leads are better quality than the standard black leads, they have stainless stranded wires inside,
instead of the copper single wire.
it is more corrosion resistant, and less likely to break if it is kinked etc.
the big adapters supplied with coil/leads also contain a capacitor,
this holds the spark until the peak is reached, giving you a consistent high voltage spark.
so a better spark makes a better burn in the cylinder, a more consistent/higher voltage spark will give the bike a little more power, and run more efficiently (same power with less fuel use)

a better quality coil will help the motor run better too
the performance coils on ebay, some perform better than others.
it all depends on the coils' internal winding ratio, to what the voltage output is.

i have maybe 4? spare coils atm, with a couple being "performance" coils (a Koso, and an orange china no brand)
and i'm thinking of setting up some comparison tests,
i'll be recording the static readings of each coil (primary and secondary windings) on the bench, and also their output readings.
i have a variable voltage power supply that will give me a consistant voltage.
then i can compare each coil, and find out which one works better.

another thing is i recommend that you fit a decent brand Irridium Spark Plug,
my preferance is the Japanese NGK CR7HIX,
the cost is around $13 if bought on Ebay UK, and around $18 at most automotive/bike shops in AU atm
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NGK-IRIDI...19c1d83&_uhb=1

After our posts the other day Craig i pulled the plug out of my chopper and put the spitfire lead on it without the adaptor first and kicked it over and checked the spark. Then added the adaptor with a small peice of NGK red racing lead into the standard coil and the spitfire lead into the other end of the adaptor and kicked it again. The cracking noise of the spark was louder and the spark was more intense then before. I have not ran the engine with the adaptor yet as i am waiting on some carby bits for it but will be interesting to see how much differant it is.

I'm gonna run a ibooster on my kitaco super coil and see how much of a spark I can create I'll post my results soon

Sent from my HTC One M7

Today i thought i would try the SplitFire lead and adaptor on my Braaap racebike. The coil is a NGK Race Coil with a NGK Race Lead on it which you can get on ebay for $55 free post it is a very good coil for the price. I took the plug boot off the ngk lead and screwed the adaptor and the splitfire lead to it and used a cable tie to tie the lead to frame as it was pretty long but didnt want to cut the ngk lead until i tried this setup out. I tried this setup out with the plug out and was very impressed with the spark intensity naturally it was a better spark then when i tried it on the standard coil on my chopper as the ngk coil has a higher output. I fitted a new CR7HIX NGK Iridium plug to the engine and the splitfire lead on it. I kicked it over and to my suprise it started first kick the bike was completely cold and with a iridium plug which as most of you guys know can be hard to start when the engine is completely cold. While warming the engine up i did a few little blips on the throttle with a noticable differance in response was pretty impressed already. The idle was smoother also i thought it was good before but better again now. So i jumped on the bike and went for a ride the differance in performance was noticable straight away and through the whole rev range very crisp in throttle response. Im very impressed with this setup so i cut the plug leads for a better and neater fit. So taking all this into account i would say that this works very well with a higher output coil than standard ones. I thought you guys would be interested in my results.

yes, they work very well hey.
i would have thought more people here would have tried them.
lucky i mentioned it hey.

ok so i got the splitfire lead finally how do i go about attaching it to my standard coil ?

unplug the old spark plug cap off your plug.
clip the new splitfire boot onto the plug,
then run the lead up and near your coil,
trim the coils' lead back so the adapter can be screwed onto the coil lead,
that's it.

i dont have an adapter ? the lead has the capacitor on the end ?

the adapter is the black capacitor at the other end to the spark plug cap

pull the silicon rubber cap off the end, cut a slot or X in it for the coil lead to slide through.
slip the boot over the old lead, then screw the old lead into the adapter.
then slide the silicon boot down onto the adapter to seal it

oh right haha thanks be interested to see if it makes a difference

have a look at the spark before you fit the new lead.
pull the plug out and earth it on the head and kick it over
then do the same once you have the new lead on

yea i know about that, i have another question for you actually ive run 2 of those after market cdis and both have fried after about 2 rides do you know what causes this ? they did make a difference not in power just more responsive bike would be fine then start to miss back fire pop etc so im running a standard one atm the bikes a forza with a 140 lifian motor

if the source coil in the stator is faulty, and has too much resistence it can cause the cdi to fail.
same with a faulty ignition coil, faulty ignition leads, and can also be caused by bad connections in the wiring
it just puts too much load on the electronics and components fail.

doesnt seem worth it to me ive got a outerwears filter cover coming i dont exactly race the bike we just take them trail riding so water is my worst enemy

Latest posts

Back