SR189 starter

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandon727

Reaction score
So, I just picked up a 2021 SSR SR189 off marketplace and the starter is bad. How do I go about changing it out?

EDIT: found the issue. Wires from the button on the bars were cut. Fixed it and now it works. I feel so dumb lol

Last edited:
Welcome, Brandon. Any new updates? Wish I can be of help.

You can "jump" the two poles on the starter solenoid with a screwdriver and see if the starter motor turns the engine over. Just make sure the battery is fully charged, so it turns the engine over.

You can "jump" the two poles on the starter solenoid with a screwdriver and see if the starter motor turns the engine over. Just make sure the battery is fully charged, so it turns the engine over.
Where are the poles? It's in a casing. There is what looks like a grounding bolt on the outside. Maybe positive on that and negative on the frame?

I'm talking about the starter solenoid, or starter relay, not the starter itself. typically, it looks like the one pictured below. The Red (+) battery wire goes to one of the poles, and the other red wire goes to the starter itself. Touching the screwdriver blade to the two poles will make the starter spin, telling you the starter is good.

Screenshot 2022-07-28 at 18-09-37 Home.png

I'm talking about the starter solenoid, or starter relay, not the starter itself. typically, it looks like the one pictured below. The Red (+) battery wire goes to one of the poles, and the other red wire goes to the starter itself. Touching the screwdriver blade to the two poles will make the starter spin, telling you the starter is good.

View attachment 16235
Okay so the starter is fine. Just jumped it no problems there. Are the 189’s known for wiring issues at all? With the switch on the bars or a fuse issue?

What is the exact problem with the bike? Since the starter turns the engine over, it isn't the starter. You never explained what was wrong with the bike to begin with.

What is the exact problem with the bike? Since the starter turns the engine over, it isn't the starter. You never explained what was wrong with the bike to begin with.
Yea, I didn’t know if it was the starter or not. I just figured out it wasn’t, I was asking if the switch on the bars has any known issues. The switch doesn’t do anything for the starter on the bike.

What exactly happens (if anything) when you push the starter button on the handlebars? If nothing happens, it could be the switch or a low battery. If the starter solenoid clicks when you push the button, it could be a bad solenoid or a low battery.

What exactly happens (if anything) when you push the starter button on the handlebars? If nothing happens, it could be the switch or a low battery. If the starter solenoid clicks when you push the button, it could be a bad solenoid or a low battery.
Yea nothing happens. I was leaning towards the switch on the bars before I throw a battery at it. I’m using a voltmeter on it tomorrow to see if it has power going to it and if it does then I know it’s the switch.

The most likely culprit is the clutch safety switch the screws into the clutch perch. You can unplug it and jump the two wires from the harness together and see if it start or use your multimeter to check the safety switch for continuity.

Latest posts

Back