SSR 125 rear wheel and brake issue- pls Help!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericbikes

Reaction score
HI- I have a 2015 SSR124 pit bike. I took off back wheel to change a flat. Getting back on is easy except for brake installation. To confirm, I think the longer wheel axle spacer goes on the drive side, and shorter on on the brake side. When installing the rear wheel, I insert the disk brake rotor into the rear brake assembly, but the outside brake pad is recessed so far, the rotor rubs on the metal brake housing and not the outer brake pad (the one actuated by the cylinder). The rotor looks mis-aligned in the brake assembly and I can't figure out why. The wheel looks perfectly centered in the bike frame. My brake assy has a through hole for the axle, and slot for the inside frame peg. Seems straight forward, but things aren't lining up/working right.

Hey mate.
One thing to try would be to depress the piston in the caliper. You can do this by using a large screwdriver and levering the piston so it is nearly fully depressed in the caliper. Then try putting it all on and pumping the rear brakes a few times and it should line it self up.
Let us know how you go.
Cheers

Do you have any pic's ?
Did you push down on the brake pedal when the wheel was off, if so it may have pushed the piston out and both disc pad's are now touching.
Or the outer disc pad may have slid inward's a bit and the disc has sat on the outer of it ?

Do you have any pic's ?
Did you push down on the brake pedal when the wheel was off, if so it may have pushed the piston out and both disc pad's are now touching.
Or the outer disc pad may have slid inward's a bit and the disc has sat on the outer of it ?

HI- thanks for the reply. Yes, the brakes were actuated with wheel off. We did depress cylinder to get pads separated again. When we reassembled, I assumed pads would realign, but the rotor just seems so close to the brake frame that it rubs metal to metal. I will fiddle some more and send a pic if I still can't get it.

Hi Again,
I took a photo and it seems the brake/rotor alignment is off and I'm not sure why. I used the shorter spacer on right side and wheel seems aligned. Something is off, but all we did is take off the wheel and fix flat. Now we are trying to reinstall the wheel. I attached photo.IMG_4656.JPG

If the longer spacer is about 5mm longer then swap them around
The axle nut doesn't look tight in the pic either, i can see a slight gap at the bottom of the spacer to the caliper mount

If the longer spacer is about 5mm longer then swap them around
The axle nut doesn't look tight in the pic either, i can see a slight gap at the bottom of the spacer to the caliper mount

Thanks. yah- I just quickly put the wheel back on and snugged up to take the photo. It's actually pretty tight but I saw the gaps too. I'm going to remove and swap spacers and redo it all over to see if something is just hanging somewhere. So strange, but I'll try again. thanks again for the help.

Update- Got it. Apparently third times a charm. i did have the spacers correct. The only thing I did was to press the cylinder further back in and reassemble. Perhaps something wasn't quite seated properly, but now all is good. Thanks again for your time and advice. Pilot error.... ride safe.

Latest posts

Back