Stripped Thread - Helicoil Tutorial

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stipe

Reaction score
In the short amount of time i have owned my pit bike there's one thing i have learnt.
ENGINE METAL IS SOFT AS BUTTER!

After managing to strip the threads of two bolt holes which hold the left side case cover on, i went in search of a solution to my problems.

Big shout out to My67xr he is a big help around here.

1 - After identifying the bolt size and thread ( M6x1mm) i had ordered a cheap helicoil kit from ebay.

This is what comes in the kit :

tools.JPG

2 - Here is a picture of the stripped hole that was due for repair.

stripped 2.JPG

3 - The first thing that needed to be done was to drill out the old threads. The supplied drill bit is to be used for this whilst trying to keep the drill as straight as possible when drilling. It is recommended that you use a bit of tape to mark how deep you need to drill, but i found you can feel when you have reached the bottom of the hole. Blow all the shavings out with a compressor and wear eye protection the little shavings fly everywhere.

drill.JPG

4 - Once the drilling is complete the thread cutting tool (tap) i think its called is used to cut the new threads in the hole. You are meant to use a die handle but can get away with a simple spanner. I started of by hand then moved to using the spanner. apply a slight amount of straight downward pressure as you twist the tap in, reversing the tap back and forth here and there to ensure a good cut. KEEP AS STRAIGHT AS POSSIBLE. Blow all shavings out.

spanner cut.JPG

spanner cuyt 2.JPG

cut thread.JPG

5 - After the hole has been tapped you may now insert the helicoil with the insert tool. Make sure that the helicoil is inserted just below the top of the hole so it does not come back out. Once you have finished tightening the helicoil exapands itself within the hole not backing out. Use the punch to knock out the little tab on the bottom of the coil when done.

helic.JPG

heli coil in.JPG

heli coil in 2.JPG

6 - Once the helicoil is in you are free to put your screws back in. Remember to only do them up soo tight.

After taking soo much away from this site it was time to give a little back. Hopefully this helps a few spuds out. :action-smiley-035:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job !
You'll never have to worry about those thread's failing anytime soon now

haha what is a trusty old elbow torque

Thank you very much for this tutorial. It's a big help for those of us who are not use to over seas metals. Thanks again !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back