Suzuki DS80, no CDI or points?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep I pulled that clip up to where it was and it is running sweet, got it running down the road full noise! Wooooohoooooo! Thanks so much for your help Craig, Goose, zweb, chronic and everyone else who contributed to this painfully long thread, sorry it took so long.

This is the needle after it's polished you can sort of see marks on it where the corrosion has been taken off, but it doesn't actually look like I've removed any material so I don't know;
Needle.JPG

I was going to come back and say I'd gone too rich now, I tried it with the clip on the leanest setting and still couldn't get the power quite like I remembered it when I was young (although - pretty good), but then I pulled the pipe off to clear it and found it pretty clogged - prob from the few runs I did with it so rich!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb4y51qTRP4 - You weren't kidding when you said this is fun :b_grind:

.. I couldn't believe what came out of the pipe haha... That has got to be a good sign of things to come when it's back together? The baffle had nuggets in the spiral too, I cooked them and blew them out. It works so well doesn't it? Get the carbon glowing then rush it with air and it consumes it right back to bare steel...

This is just plain compressed atmosphere going in one end while the pipe is hot - can you believe that haha?
Clearing.JPG

Anyway, I'm sure it's going to run great when I get the pipe back on, so thanks again everyone - can't tell you how glad I am to put this one to bed haha. My ten year old brother will be pleased!

I got the pipe back on - it has more power than I ever remember it having haha, took it for a ride with the baffle removed - the front wheel lifts in second gear and is still light in third gear, awesome little machines these aye.

I rushed putting the pipe back on a bit and put a dent in that copper ring which I'm a bit pissed off about, I had stripped the manifold threads as well I'm going to have to rethread them and get it back together hopefully it seals... Pain in the ass but an easy fix.

Thanks again everyone for all your help I doubt I would have got there if I hadn't posted here and heard from you bunch.

Last edited:
i thought that it sounded blocked in that video.
but you said with no expansion chamber, it made no difference ?

Craig, it didn't make a difference it still bogged and died with the pipe off. Whatever I did to the carb last night brought it back to life and fixed the problem, I could wind it out again - it was just a bit softer than I remember. So I then took the pipe off and burned it and put it back on and it was better than its ever been I'm pretty sure. Did you watch the youtube video? Did yours do that when you were pumping air through it?

What's the best way to tell where that clip is best off? Just ring it out and listen carefully? Or are there known numbers for exhaust gas temp etc...

Good to be running again thanks Goose

you may have adjusted the mixture slightly different, or even dislodged something you you hadnt previously done.

yeah with mine, when revving it would respond quick, rev to 2500 then i couldn't get much more out of it.
i pulled the pipe off and ran it, it revved freely to about 5000 or 6000 rpm.

i cleaned the pipe out, it took over an hour to do so, it spat flames, had a few minor explosions, and the burning carbon spitting out each way.
the blue smoke made it hard to see sometimes, and the heat coming off it was quite intense.
a bit like seeing flames coming out of a turbo.

i made a video when i did the PW50 exhaust too, it is on page 2 or 3 of my PW thread.

my DS80 pipe lost almost half it's weight too, after being burnt out.

the best way to set up the needle clip, is to fit a new spark plug and take it out for a ride.
you need a long straight with a slight incline if you can find one.
then run it at WOT, in 3rd or 4th gear for 20 seconds or so, turn it off stop the motor, pull the clutch in and come to a stop,
then pull the plug and check the colour of the porcelain inside the plug
a nice running bike will make the porcelain run roughly a coffee colour, tan-ish.

Hey out of interest do you remember how much your exhaust weighed? Would be a good comparion to see how much carbon i in mine. I can't expect too much in there as it has allways run smooth with much smoke at all.

nah i didn't weigh it,
i just compared it to when i picked it up after burning it out.

I think that extra time I spent on the main jet is what did it, I can't be sure enough to say but I thiiiink the hole was a little bigger after working it over that wire.

My neighbour gave me a sh!tload of tools before he died, was really awesome of him but anyway he had a bunch of gas gear and a whole lot of little clips that hold these collared looking pieces of wire, would have been perfect for reaming jets out looks like they're designed for clearing gas nozzles or something. oh well I know they're there for next time.

I didn't pay any attention to its weight either but it feels a little lighter and maybe just my head but the walls feel thinner haha, if you get that? Has a more tingy sound when you hit the expansion chamber.

This is the plug after a blat full noise up the road, probably a little lean is it?
Plug.jpg

Either that main jet or polishing that needle, my guess is both contributed to solving the problem. The bottom end is probably still a little rich, throttle response is a little sluggish off the mark, might be better off with a slightly smaller pilot jet but I think this bike was always like that. If you put it in second gear idling along and open your throttle, is it a bit groany until it gets to that power band?

the plug looks a touch rich to me.

where have you got the clip sitting on the needle?
you might be able to raise it a notch ?

the mixture will need a tweak then too

Pretty sure the clip is on the leanest setting actually, I put it there thinking it was rich with the blocked pipe then never changed it back. The mixture is still a little rich like I said but I'm over 3 turns out now I think. May need to size the jet down a little, but I don't think I will. Might think about it if my 10yo brother ever gets out of third gear lol.

When you're at the end of the road on WOT and you hit the kill switch, do you keep the throttle wide open while it stops or close it while it stops, or does it not really matter?

I didn't clean the plug before I took it for that run, suppose that would be a better idea.

Yeah I know a smaller one probably suits it better, I don't know if I will bother though. First thing I read in that tutorial there was "A gray ashy or white appearance indicates its running lean". Isn't that pic I posted grey and ashy haha?

I will get it nice and clean then take it out for a hard ride and see what colour it goes on the top end. I noticed in that first paragraph it says to kill the bike with WOT too - I guess if you were rich on the idle and you let the throttle go it's going to wet the plug as the RPM decays and change it a little possibly? Would still be putting fuel in there even with switch down

The air filter I've got on it now is just a piece of foam I've cut to shape, I left it dry I was worried impregnating it with oil would cause it to fall apart, I would have to order one from a dealer I think and I'm sure it would cost more than its worth over here haha. Is a dry piece of foam alright?

looks like a good idea I didn't consider doing away with the airbox. It is a POS though, pain how that fitting shrinks isn't it, I stopped bothering to fit it over the intake and clamp it, it doesn't stay on anyway and seals good enough with its position lol

i guess it depends on how much riding you do in the wet too.
but even then you could run a waterproof Outerwears cover over the filter if needed

Will leave it with that airbox for now and see how it goes, its running well now anyway more than good enough for the young one. So thanks for your help again! Good to have it alive.

Latest posts

Back