Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovemyzx9r

Reaction score
hi this is my first post here hope i'm in the right spot. I picked up a non running 88 ds80 for my daughter as she is out growing her 79 jr50. The previous owner said it lost spark one day and he had a friend look at it. he cut and spliced all the wires and it sat for 5 years. something seems odd about it. i changed the coil because i had a good one laying around. Took the flywheel off cleaned it and noticed the earth black/white was running to the coil and the lighting hot wire yellow/red and ignition hot black/red were both running to the light switch. i proceeded to check the voltage on the black/red which the fiche shows running to the primary coil on the stator. It showed 16.7 ac volts. I hooked it up to the new coil and nothing. My question is how many volts am i supposed to have to the coil? I am afraid to buy a manual because it has no carb on it and if it needs a stator too i will have to part it out because i cannot afford to buy both. any insight is greatly appreciated. btw it is in good shape except for the brake, throttle cable and missing carb oh and no spark. is 70 us dollars a fair price or did i get taken?

first up, welcome to miniriders forum,

i have a couple of DS80's myself, i dont know if you have checked out my thread yet?
it's in the japanese minis, jap build threads.
http://www.miniriders.com/jap-builds/35987-my-suzuki-ds80-86-build.html

sounds like the wires are a bit mixed up.
my bike isn't here with me atm, its 2 hours away up at the farm.
the coil used on the DS80 is a specific coil though, what bike did the replacement coil come off?

cheers, craig

Last edited:
yes i did see your build that is what motivated me to fix this bike rather than part it out. i used a coil off of a 1980 honda xl80 it says 6 v ac i think on it. i have a running 79 jr50 thought i might try the coil off it. the one on my ts185 wasn't even close. i would like to see some kind of spark before i buy the missing pieces for it. i can get a good used stator for 40 bucks but im thinking that might not be the problem. has me worried its a nice bike. ill try and post a pic for you. too busy working on it to take pics earlier. thanks for the welcome your build convinced me to join! ;)

I also bought a yamaha mx80 off the same guy. same deal no spark no carb. it has points i know i can figure it out (it only has 1 wire lol). figured i could get one of the two running. my original idea was to part the ds and fix this one but seeing what you did and the idea of the challenge took parting it off the table. for now. thanks

Attachments

• 20120820_131812.jpg
    20120820_131812.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
ok, i have a few questions for you.

what colour wires are coming out of the l/h flywheel cover (from the stator), was there 3 different colours?
do you have a multimeter that can measure Ohms?
what colour wire is going to the coil, is it just the black/white stripe?
iirc mine had an orange going to the input on the coil.

get the original DS coil, and your multimeter
set it to 200 Ohms, and touch the 2x leads together it should read 0 Ohms
now put the black lead from the meter to the earth point on the coil, where the bolt goes through the coil to mount it to the frame, (there should be a brass or steel ring where the bolt goes through the coil).
the red lead to the terminal where the power wire plugs onto the terminal on the coil.
you should get a reading about .5 up to about 1.2 from memory.
then set the multimeter to 2000 Ohms, black lead to the earth again
red lead to the spark plug lead end, and write down the reading
(you need to unscrew the cap off the spark plug lead to get a good reading)

post up your results and i'll see if i can help you more.

even if you can post up pics of the wiring coming from the stator and the wiring at the coil (original suzuki coil, not the honda one)
that will help me diagnose it

cheers, craig

ok will do... tomorrow its about 20 mins up the road. at the shop. thanks

ok i checked the coil and nothing

Attachments

• 20120902_152316.jpg
    20120902_152316.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 22
out of wire to plug too

Attachments

• 20120902_152229.jpg
    20120902_152229.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 17
3 wires out of stator... according to the parts fiche only resource i have on this bike the black red goes to primary coil (black coil on stator).. the yellow red goes to the light switch from the (lighting coil yellow wrapped coil towards the front of the bike)and the black white grounds to the back of the stator it is just screwed in to its factory connection and everything.

Attachments

• 20120902_152421.jpg
    20120902_152421.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 22
i thought it should be fixable looks so nice other than 5 years of dust.

Attachments

• 20120902_151302.jpg
    20120902_151302.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 7
stator before i took it off and cleaned it with contact cleaner

Attachments

• 20120831_174307.jpg
    20120831_174307.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 20
the bike does look sweet, $70 was a steal....

either that coil is faulty on both sides, primary and secondary windings,
or there is a bad/dirty earth through the grounding ring where the bolt goes through.
is your JR50 's coil a single wire hook up?

maybe try and check the XR coil you have too, just so you know how to check the readings.
for the xr coil same setup as testing the suzuli coil.
but if its a 2x wire setup , put negative lead to negative, positive lead to positive wire,
then to test the secondary,
negative lead to coil negative, red lead to end of spark plug lead.

sometimes the spark plug lead can get a break near the end cap too, trim 1/2" off the end maybe and re-check.

Last edited:
i checked the voltage on the jr 50 and my zx9r they both put out 46 volts ac afraid i am going to have to part her out. cant afford coil stator and carb. let me know if you or other members need anything. i can sell the parts cheap since i only need about 100 out of it since i spent 30 bucks in gas and 3 hour drive to get it. i have enough running bikes anyway. ill just get the yamaha going since i am more familiar with it. the best buy i have ever made in my life is my 78 or 9 suzuki ts250. a kid had it wasn't running. took it home cleaned carb and it fired right up. here is a pic the way i bought it. thanks for the help i really appreciate it. swap meet in 3 weeks in springfield oh. maybe i can sell the zuk and find a carb for the yami. ride on friend.

Attachments

• 08192010019.jpg
    08192010019.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 6
yeah the xl coil is 1 wire too. i'll give her a go. the ground was pretty clean thinking it's shot. the guy i bought it from had 12 bikes i guess if a guy with 12 bikes can't get it running a guy with 8 won't either. lol
might take it to the mechanic this winter see what his diagnosis is if it doesn't sell at the swap meet. wait til he's not so busy ;).

ok, i have a few questions for you.

what colour wires are coming out of the l/h flywheel cover (from the stator), was there 3 different colours?
do you have a multimeter that can measure Ohms?
what colour wire is going to the coil, is it just the black/white stripe?
iirc mine had an orange going to the input on the coil.

get the original DS coil, and your multimeter
set it to 200 Ohms, and touch the 2x leads together it should read 0 Ohms
now put the black lead from the meter to the earth point on the coil, where the bolt goes through the coil to mount it to the frame, (there should be a brass or steel ring where the bolt goes through the coil).
the red lead to the terminal where the power wire plugs onto the terminal on the coil.
you should get a reading about .5 up to about 1.2 from memory.
then set the multimeter to 2000 Ohms, black lead to the earth again
red lead to the spark plug lead end, and write down the reading
(you need to unscrew the cap off the spark plug lead to get a good reading)

post up your results and i'll see if i can help you more.
Hey I have a 78 ds80 and the stator is complete junk on it is it possible to swap it out with a 93s stator

Latest posts

Back