sympoziums' Z50JE Restoration

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sympozium

Reaction score
Well ive been mulling it over for a while and have decided to fix up my old baby, a Z50JE, and ive got some questions, by some i mean thousands lol

Anyway the first thing i cant decide on is the engine, ive been watching ebay for a while and every time i go to bid on one of em, it ends up being one of those auctions thats $100 more than it should be, which just aint right if ur buying on ebay.

ive pretty much narrowed it down to 2;

the 3 valve 110cc here at the bottom.

or

that 120cc "performance" lifan with the larger than normal exhaust ports and whatever its got.

are there any other engines i should be looking at?? id love to get one of those proper thumpstar engines or deck it out in takegawa parts but i dont really have a spare $5k.

id probably get more reliability by just sticking a new head and cylinder on it but i have a feeling it would be alot more hassle than it would be worth and also 3 gears just aint enough haha.

ive got a fair few other parts to get, like a new pipe, new hangers, new back shocks new front stanchions. any tips on choosing an engine would go down well

aprently the best engien brand from mods is a lifan. and from what ive been tols zonsehen is as good as lifan

whats wrong with the good old honda z-50 engine ? if its a bit worn all you have to do it take cylinder / piston to a place like repco engineering and they will re bore the cylinder and match a new piston size ect for alot less than buying a chinese engine. keep the honda as this is one of the best engines worldwide.

By the time you mod your stock honda you'll be a few grand poorer and will only have retained the cases. Wheras if you start with a china motor youll have good power out of the box. The monster 120 Lifan or Zongshen would be a sound choice and can have $500-$600 spent on it if you wish, to be making 12 - 14 horses.

Fun fiddy.

u wont be makin 12-14hp of u buy $600worth of parts in AUS,
that $600 would only buy an inner rotor, and super coil haha.

i was having a look at the tranny today, its actually in pretty good nick, its just the top end thats got a few missing bolts and such, easily fixed i know but its pretty ratted, needs a nice long acid bath, but id like to get something bigger anyway, next best option is a big bore kit and all the parts and such for that are gonna run me $1000+ just for a new head and such, let alone the rest of the parts ive gotta get.

http://monkeybike.co.uk/acatalog/Takegawa_81cc_Hyper_E_Stage_Kit__std_head_.html
719.184 AUD

http://monkeybike.co.uk/acatalog/Kitaco_Standard_Cylinder_Head_Kit.html
485.497 AUD

not to mention the limited 3sp gearbox, gonna cost me atleast another 1000 for a 5sp gearbox. monkeybike.co.uk is the only online retailer ive found for performance monkey parts, and i cant seem to find ANY kitaco/daytona monkey part retailer in aus

buying one of those chinese motors just seems a much more viable option since this aint a racing or show bike

buy a lifan big valve head from lilscottie for $500 and be done with the engine side of things?

No-Fear:
just a big valve head without a big bore kit? i dont see much point in that, mayaswell fix my head and port it out and get a kitaco valve set it'd probly be cheaper i reckon

u want to get a 125cc engine and put a big bore on it for a z50?
i'd rather keep it at 125cc.

No-Fear;
nah nah, if i get a complete engine itll be staying pretty much stock except for maybe an oil cooler, and a high comp piston

Just a good port job on the big valve lifan + big cam and hc piston = crazy z50. I'm just putting the finishing touches on a full port job of this head and will post up detailed pics when finished.

BTW How are you guys posting pics? I can't post any larger than 39 kb.

theres ones of those big valve lifans on ebay going for about 220 atm finishes tomorow night, might put a bid in then later on get some parts from somebody here if they can supply em.

one of those watercooled sx50 clones would probably be more fun but ive had my zedda since i was 7, alot of sentimental value.

and for pics upload em to imageshack.us or equivilent then in the box where you type this stuff press the pic button and paste the url from imageshack

Yeah I'm already a member of a few pic hosting sites but wondered how others are posting direct to this site?

Simply post

yeah thats just using an image host same as hitting the picture button, only other option since theres a 39kB limit are a pic in your sig, dunno the limit there.

anyway i might post some pics of my whole project if anyone is interested, ill have to get a new camera though mines old an broke

good read.. put in a post.. i need to get to 10 posts before I can see the images...

Get on Mojomotorcycles.com.au and checkout the new outlaw motor and then call Boxy he can get them for you.

Latest posts

Back