TDR 125 2012 model - A quick picture preview

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hows it going now? Is it still running? I bought the exact same model yesterday in white. Thinking I might eventually build it onto a better frame if I start jumping it.

Hows it going now? Is it still running? I bought the exact same model yesterday in white. Thinking I might eventually build it onto a better frame if I start jumping it.

Still running, yes. Still rideable, no :( My sis is not one to "putt" around though, it had a hard life, if short. She ended up buying a 125 Motovert, now the TDR hides it's face in the corner of the garage somewhere. Sorry for the bad news. #1 thing to do is change your sprokets and chain.

what was the problem with the sprockets timeeh ?
was it that they weren't hardened ?

fitting some longer bolts to hold the rear one on is a good idea,
along with Loctiting the threads and fitting Nyloc nuts to the back of the hubs too.
the cheap/standard chains are an obvious thing that needs upgrading

my sis in law has/had the same bike, she was only a beginner and she killed the bike in 4 months. From memory the frame cracked on 5 or 6 welds and she didnt even jump it. Be very careful on it

what was the problem with the sprockets timeeh ?
was it that they weren't hardened ?

fitting some longer bolts to hold the rear one on is a good idea,
along with Loctiting the threads and fitting Nyloc nuts to the back of the hubs too.
the cheap/standard chains are an obvious thing that needs upgrading

The rear chewed out really quickly and the front litterally detonated, i'm heading that way this arvo, if i remember i'll take a pic for you.

ok thanks,
yeah the rear sprocket that came on my Orion mustn't have been hardened, the chain really pulled the teeth around on the sprocket.
i had a better one and swapped them over.

Cool thanks for letting me know. So no probs with engine or frame as such?

Yeah I was looking at sprockets. Someone was recommending it as a good upgrade putting something like a 14-37 combo on and it makes your gearing better and more torque? Chains are really cheap so no worries there, wondering if I should order stuff now and put it straight on when the bike arrives whilst doing the pre-op stuff??! I'm honestly not expecting it to last a super long time. Its an entry level bike for me, once I get to the point of riding hard it will probably be long broken anyways. Hopefully by then I will have saved enough for something a little more solid like a genuine Thumpy those cromo frames look really well built! :D

did you read post #44 above ?
just keep an eye on it.
if you need any welding/bracing done let me know, i should be able to help you out.

Show and Go Motorcycles on Brighton road sell the DID heavy duty chains for about $24, just cut them down to suit.

on my atomik Fuse 150cc, i use a 14T front and a 37 rear for the tight stuff, and swap to a 17T front for long straights
it's good, as i can just adjust the chain to suit both sprockets

ok thanks,
yeah the rear sprocket that came on my Orion mustn't have been hardened, the chain really pulled the teeth around on the sprocket.
i had a better one and swapped them over.

thats exactly what happened to my 125. one day i was out riding, and then the chain flew off, looked down, sprocket was absolutely sheared! china has to start putting better quality sprockets!

Yup sure did. Thinking about getting my mate to do a bit of gusseting for me he's pretty handy with metal. I figure from that other photo of one snapped in half I have some idea of there the weak points will be...I'll be careful dont worry I dont really have the money atm to either break myself, or the bike so will be 'running it in' for a fair while...plus I run a small business so being injured is definitely NOT what im going for!

Got a pic of the front sproket
IMAG0710.jpg

^Yea bud, spewin i don't have a pic of the rear, it didn't detonate but the wear it copped was a sight to behold. P.S notice i cut out the chain guard out, a nice little upgrade that wont cost you a cent, if your chain ever comes off then having this cut out means your chain has another avenue of escaping, otherwise it's more prone to bind in there and crack the casings ;)

Cool good advice :D Will be wearing boots then I have worked with chainsaws pretty extensively, loose chains can end things badly for machines and people! Nice Ill get my angle grinder onto it as soon as the bike comes...I'm honestly thinking whole new drive chain will only Add about $100 to the overall price and im still under $600 if I get a new front and rear sprocket and new chain. Never ran ****ty chains or sprocket on the 20inch that was just asking for HUGE problems and possibly death :/ Has anyone made a half link mini bike chain yet? Those things are NEAR on indestructible and DONT stretch like a normal chain does either. Here this is what they look like, I would be interested in getting one for the mini if they exist for the minis?!

http://easternbikes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/eastern-chain-half-link-silver.jpg

Last edited:
Ive seen multiple people slam those chains from 6 foot in the air onto the steel copping on top of a concrete ramp and have no problems at all maybe a little ding...Things are mint if you want the stongest chain you can possibly get, I went through at least 10 chains before I got a halflink and sold it when I stripped the bike down for 3/4 of what I paid for it 3 years before hand ;)

i haven't seen a 1/2 link motorbike chain before.
i would think 2 new sprockets and chain would be around $55.
i just use the heavy duty DID 420, at $24, you can afford to chuck them every 6 months if you are riding it a lot.

i use these front sprockets
and my rear is like this

Manufacturing opportunity for someone right there!! I imagine they would be even more bullet proof in moto size. Infact Im reasonably sure I have an old KMC 420 chain from the time that they were the only thing that would survive ramp riding :D cool Ill go look in my bike parts box tomorrow as its in storage. So every say 2000-3000km replace the chain and sprockets Craig? Makes sense really as thats taking all the power and putting it to the rear wheel cheers yeah $54 aint going to break the bank for me!!! Once again invaluable advice! Glad I found this forum :D is a big help coming into this slightly less noob to pit bikes...I think the misses is not going to be happy when I start working on it in the house however...I know mum never liked me servicing the DH bike in my room! :/

Well thanks to all the help! I sold it before I had any real problems! The 13 yo who it got sold to was a bit hesitant but I don't think he'll be destroying anything from doing massive jumps or the like :thumbup: almost got back what I paid for it too!!! His old man will probably break it before he does....

Well thanks to all the help! I sold it before I had any real problems! The 13 yo who it got sold to was a bit hesitant but I don't think he'll be destroying anything from doing massive jumps or the like :thumbup: almost got back what I paid for it too!!! His old man will probably break it before he does....

Good stuff, now what TDR is going to in the next FOTM?

Edit: I do have a mates sitting in my shed at them moment :)

Latest posts

Back