Temporary fix to quiten exhaust

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonner

Reaction score
Need to reduce the noise level of my bike for a day, was thinking of just pushing a couple of SS pot scrubbers up the centre of the baffle and threading a bit of wire through the baffle holes to keep it in place.
Does anyone think it will do any harm to the engine?

I have already repacked the silencer and it made next to no difference.

You can get a butt plug ;)
they look allright and are like 10-15 dollars depending on the shop
IMG_0411[1].JPGIMG_0415[1].JPG just drill it and bung a self tapper in there.. or take the muffler apart and put a washer in the middle of it and pop rivit it either side or a touch of weld then re-assemble..

all the insert does it take the 'bite' out of the tone..
if you want to go more stealth think of a pipe or somthing and aim the noise at the ground

Thanks zwebx, any ideas on where I can buy one, have tried a couple of places in Brisbane without any luck.

Im not sure mate, maybe ebay? make sure you have a good pipe to fit it to, some others can be a ***** to fit
i got mine from buzz bikes

just gone through this myself. I used one of these, I believe its an airfilter from an air compressor?

6tn4.jpg

ss47.jpg

Shoving that in with the open end facing outwards works great to dampen the sound, as it forces most of the gases to go around the solid cap and into the packing, then back through the filter. But very restrictive and it would most certainly catch fire. So I burnt out the paper element and quicksteel'd all the way around the edge of the open end cap, to ensure it doesn't fly off. I then removed the solid cap and use some pliers to bend the exposed mesh inwards. So instead of a solid cap it has mesh covering it. I quicksteel'd the end where the solid cap was to prevent the mesh from warping or breaking off, and to dampen the noise a little more

Then I put it into the pipe, perfect fit. Added some quick steel to the end cap and muffler opening to secure it in place, let it sit overnight and now it's good. Much, much, much quiter just cruising along. Still has a bit of bark when you open it up but nowhere near as bad as it was. No big difference in power

Time will tell if it holds, the quicksteel may crack from vibration in which case i'll do something different

Last edited:
SS scourers work well to quieten down a bike, wont do any harm to the engine, done it before to get loud bikes under legal limits for inspection, and if its only for a day i wouldn't bother putting in any more effort

Latest posts

Back