Terra moto TDX 125-New to working on bikes and am not enjoying it so far basically either i suck or

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delprado

Reaction score
Hey guys i have just joinged the club i live in Aus but our pitbike forums are S^%T compared to all the info i have gathered off this site,
I recently bought a Terra TDX 125 of a bloke for $500 pretty cheap over here considering the terrible orions etc go for about $700-800 now in saying that the bloke i bought it off did almost ZERO maintenance to it it wouldnt idle at all and i mean at all and when i had the choke on it revved its arse off but choke off just died so far i have cleaned the carb at least 7 times had fuel piss out the carb intake in my awesome glory i managed to strip the head of the A/F screw but the oil change went well! now the problem im having is not only is it not idling AT ALL! (simply dies) but at the low rpm range as well as the higher rpm range it feels like its not doing a damn thing i.e im higher rpms 2nd gear but it feels like its bogging down it doesnt SOUND like it (i cant hear the motor over the exhaust its fooken LOUD!) but its just not picking up if you know what i mean like gear speed is peaking at lower than usual RPM i realise the cdi is basically a rev limiter but it was running before i screwed around trying to clean the carby thinking thats why it wouldnt idle anyway after cleaning and trying to standard tune the carb (1 1/2 to 2 turns out) it didnt run at all couldnt even get it to fire, it has a genuine fake mikuni carb on it and im thinking that is the cause of all my problems being a 6 year old carb with little to no maintenance ( the kid might have cleaned it once or twice but from the look of the tuning he had on it (a/f and idle) he really had problems with keeping it ( maybe he put too big a set of jets in it) when i bought it the A/F screw was almost fully out and the idle screw did fook all ( i mean nothing at all like it wasnt even there) so im wondering do all these things point to a ****ed carb? i ordered a new one this afternoon as an entire kit from DHZ as in carby intake manifold throttle cable gaskets etc or does it sound like something else? i put another carb i had off a lifan parts bike i have (genius i bought it off had the chain too tight blew out and smashed the magneto cover etc to bits so i got it pretty cheap that and it was thrashed to the **** house with no front brakes no back brakes as well as having the spark plug not even tightened) and it didnt go to well i have only started playing with carbs less than a week ago hence the constant screw ups with this one, do you think the whole new carby manifold filter etc etc will help or do you think the motor will need some loving im **** at carbs and the only way im going to get engine work done is to try and con my old man into helping he already s[ent 4 hours with me today trying to get it to run with this ****ty carb and i dont think hes too keen to keep playing with a bike he cant ride (6 foot 8 and 100+ kilos isnt ideal for a pitty) and before some genius decides to say it i will say it now buying another bike is out of the question i spent the bike money i had put away on this the bike ran really well before i screwed with the carb so i dont think its an engine issue just a fuel problem

you
need
some

gaps
in

there

bro!

hard to read :p

Mate your posts are becoming annoying if you have nothing helpful to say then you don't have to post in every thread it's just wasting people's time and your pointless posts are starting to bug me. As for your question mate it could be a matter of valves or float height in the carb bowl aswell, I'm not a hundred percent sure what you've done to the carb? When you cleaned it are you a hundred percent sure you put it back together. You mentioned that you bought a new one so whack that on and see what happens? If its old it could be a matter of starting fresh with a new Cdi, lead, spark plug.

Mate your posts are becoming annoying if you have nothing helpful to say then you don't have to post in every thread it's just wasting people's time and your pointless posts are starting to bug me. As for your question mate it could be a matter of valves or float height in the carb bowl aswell, I'm not a hundred percent sure what you've done to the carb? When you cleaned it are you a hundred percent sure you put it back together. You mentioned that you bought a new one so whack that on and see what happens? If its old it could be a matter of starting fresh with a new Cdi, lead, spark plug.

Fair call brendo, Where not all scholars and as long as i can understand a post, be it misspelling, one whole sentence or newbie questions then its all good, Miniriders is not (that other mini forum) and never will be, to those that like to flame then head on over there and you will fit straight in.

As for the terra moto(you either love them or dislike them) id defianatly say it does sound like a fuel prob like you say mate, a new carb cant hurt anyway, and like brendo said the cdi, lead(coil?) and plug would also be well worth changing.

Quick question mate, you say you live in Australia and all there forums are crap compared to all the info you have gotten off here. Which forums were they.

All good Mick I'm just mentioning live to rides post as quite a few of them have been just needless statements I'm all for newbs and questions, all I would like to see is more of his posts to be helpful rather than what I've been seeing or just don't comment to get your posts up, I'm just picking I know but I speak my mind. You've helped me numerous times when I was a newb.

Last edited:
True True, newbies make this place what it is. 100% with ya bro.

One thing that's guaranteed to lead to frustration is trying to patch 'one' problem on a bike which you know has not been treated well
Something that can be somewhat enjoyable is stripping it down as much as you can and getting a PROPER look at the bike. Then build it up almost from scratch so you know its all done correctly. That way when you have a problem, you know its isolated to certain area's, and you aren't taking 1 step forward 2 steps back
I did this with both the 250cc orion and 250cc atomik blitz. Both bikes now run and ride beautifully and only need periodic maintenance, rather than endless playing around with bodged patch jobs

So my recommendation would be to whip out the tool set and a multimeter. Take off seat, all plastics, fuel tank, remove wheels, carb, airbox/filter/battery. Now you have a bike you can take a good look at.
- Start with the engine, do the valves, spark plug if needed, got compression? good move on
- Electrical system, whip out your multimeter and test what you can. But basically check for good earthing points, look for bodged wire jobs and REDO THEM PROPERLY! don't wrap and tape wires together!. Crimp some decent connectors on them, use proper terminals for bolt holes, run new wire if you have to. Kick it over with the spark plug hanging off the side (touch it to the cylinder head). Nice spark? great! Zip-tie your 'properly' fixed wires and route them in sensible ways so they don't rub/bind/catch or get in the way of anything else you do
- Now you can look at the carb. These carbs are very simple but should be treated with some respect. I use WD40 with a nozzle for all carb cleaning duties but if you feel something else is required go ahead. I strip it completely, remove all jets, needle, everything. Blast every hole thoroughly and ensure liquid flows through all passages. Reassemble, missing or damaged gasket? go get some liquid gasket, apply it as neat as possible and seal it up. Leave it for several hours. Set fuel screw to 1.5 turns. Carby is 95% done, set it aside and pat yourself on the back then move on
- Grease and loctite all the bolts you can get to (1 at a time), especially the ones that have moving parts. Holy crap I hate ****heads who don't grease anything. Removing bolts on the orion was like mining with a pickaxe, now greased properly, every one can be removed or installed with just hands. Congrats now your bike won't fall to pieces and is easy to work on
- Check chain, sprockets, head stem, wheels, bearings, brakes, seals. When you take old ****ty busted and abused crap, and replace it with new shiny smooth bearings and watch it move and operately so freely, its mesmerizing. Your carby sealant should be dry now
- NOW you can reassemble and assess things

Oh and dump the old fuel while you're at it, you've just spent time making everything nice and proper, new fuel will ensure you stay on that side of the fence while tuning it. Choke on, fire it up if it will.
If it won't, you KNOW the electrical system is fine because you did it properly... right?
you KNOW the engine is good because you checked compression and adjusted valves... right?
you know the airfilter/intake boot isn't ripped, blocked or dirty because you checked and cleaned it... right?
Ok so now you can be damn sure its the carby and adjust jets/needle from there. Heck you could even replace it with a new one from ebay, bolt it straight on and it WILL work properly because everything else has been checked/adjusted/cleaned correctly... right?

This may seem like a bit of work but trust me, it's way more work pissing about with 1 issue on a bodgy bike, than it is to know you will be stripping it down and rebuilding properly. Each task flows quicker and smoother, and before you know it, you have a good bike that only needs tuning, not swearing and a kick from your boot every morning

good job fanga, I use compressed air to blow out the jets and every other hole in the carby, also try not to kick it over it the spark plug it not touching an earth as it could damage your cdi.

But yeah ranga fanga is right about stripping your bike down and rebuilding it. It really makes you get to know your bike and all its weak spots to keep an eye on. I know just about every nut and bolt on my bike now as I have rebuilt it twice now from ground up.
Keep at it man

Thanks guys will do whats suggested im checking out valve clearence today i used a bowl of fuel and a toothbrush to clean out the carby there were a few different other forums i visited really based in Aus i found some posts helpful but most were just filled to the brim with the ole "mine is better"
Has beautiful spark, i will probably buy a new CDI to go with it (non racing i dont like the idea of blowing it before i get too mcuh life out of it)
Great compression near snaps my leg when i go to start it
the only things i have done to it since i got it were
-Change the oil
-New rear heavy duty tube
-clean the air filter realised it had a hole in it accidentaly broke it then ordered another one
-new plug
-checked out the carb and failed

today i will be
-Checking Rings
-Checking Valve clearance

I got it running a bit its fine in the low tomid- mid and mid high range it just goes to crap at idle and high rpm

but thanks for the help and ideas fellas i will play with it today no work today so just like yesterday its a bike day!

Latest posts

Back