Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would ask them the spec's on that ignition coil before buying it
For the primary side Suzuki has listed it's measurement's at 1 - 3 Ohm's (black w/yellow trace wire and earth)
The secondary resistance is listed as 15,000 (15K) - 17,000 (17K) Ohm's (black w/yellow trace wire and the terminal inside the spark plug cap)
Not many of the universal ignition coil's have that much resistance

When you get a new coil sometime's it will come with the lead but not with a spark plug cap, so make sure you buy a new one at the same time
Spark plug is an NGK B7ES gapped at .6mm - .8mm

Testing the Lighting coil on the DS80 (yellow wire w/red trace) you should get around 1 Ohm resistance
It should put out over 5.7v @2500rpm's, and under 9v @ 9000 rpm's

And Timing is set to 23° -/+ 2° (2.12mm from the mark in the case)

yeah i rang them and they didnt know the specs of the coil but they did say it would work on a ds80 maybe its worth a try ive found one on ebay for $27 delivered.... ive been looking at the stator coils today and the lighting coil seems to meet those specs but i cant get anything out of the primary coil.... Do you know the procedure for testing that coil?? But from what ive seen today it appears to be open circuit aswell.... Im starting to think if its worth fixing as genuine parts are going to add up very quickly... However i did remove the exhaust today and the top end looks to be in very good condition it looks like it has had a recent top end put in it.
The timing mark i can see the arrow on the case but i cant see any marks on the stator....??

Cheers

Dave

See the little slot mark on the stator plate just to the right of centre behind the stator plate top screw, it need's to be 2.12mm to the left of the mark/tab in the case

002.jpg

You could ring Small Coil Rewind's in Geelong, they may give you the Ohm's reading for it
Just tell them you want to test it to see if it's ok.

Suzukis' Primary Source coil is part number 32140-35410
Mick Hone sell them for new $80 which is cheaper than a rewind Mick Hone - Suzuki COIL, PRIMARY (32140-35410)

Yeah your timing look's pretty close, if not spot on :thumbup:

okay so its been a while but i finally got the ds 80 running turned out to be the primary coil which i was able to buy of ebay.... One thing ive have a problem with is the air boot that connects from the airbox to the carby it is severely warped and no longer fits correctly. I was thinking of fitting a pit bike pod filter... Or should i go for a new boot from suzuki assuming they are still available...??

okay so its been a while but i finally got the ds 80 running turned out to be the primary coil which i was able to buy of ebay.... One thing ive have a problem with is the air boot that connects from the airbox to the carby it is severely warped and no longer fits correctly. I was thinking of fitting a pit bike pod filter... Or should i go for a new boot from suzuki assuming they are still available...??

You could try either mate. Would need a rejet if using a pod filter or at least a tweak of the mixture screw.

Should be able to get a boot also but not sure how cheap they would be.

The secondary reading is to low, power lead through the coil winding's to the spark plug lead
And it has the wrong spark plug cap going by that last reading too
A genuine Suzuki coil will cost you about $200 new
I would try and find an aftermarket coil for it, should be to find something around $50-$60 from a Motorcycle Electric's shop
Wow if only every site had write ups like this.spot on man.

Thank you very much for posting this!!! Very informative. I have had questions about this for a while and you covered everything. Awesome job!!!

Awesome write up and info that literally No One else has been able to give me!

Witһ havin so mucһ content and articles do yоu
ever run into any ρroblems of plagorism օr cⲟpyright violation? My blog һаs a lot ߋf exclusive сontent I'vе eitһer created myѕelf or outsourced
Ƅut it loоks ⅼike а lot of it is popping it up ɑll over the internet without my authorization. Ꭰo you know any techniques to help
stoⲣ сontent fr᧐m bеing ripped off? Ӏ'd genuinely ɑppreciate іt.

Wοuld You Look іnto my website - judi slot online

Latest posts

Back