The MR Community -INJURY SUPPORT

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killpatrickyum

Sinister 50's No 1 Groupie
Reaction score
Hi all,

Roy here, aka “Killpatrickyum”

I know I have not been involved with MR as long as a lot of you have but my time spent on this forum has been enjoyable, entertaining, informative and at times a comfort.

I have been toying with the idea of this thread for a couple weeks now and have spoken to a few predominant members and have more or less been given the go ahead. Some may not think much of it but I’m hoping it will raise some awareness and create a avenue for people to deal with their injuries in a constructive way, be informed on things they may not have been aware of and generally just to create another support network for people to share experiences and help one and other.

MR already is a great support network dealing with life matters outside of our common interests. For example the
- The MR Community - Mental And General Health Support, resources and Discussion
Has been a very active thread over the years offering recourses in dealing with mental health and I’m sure has helped a great number of members, it also raises awareness which is great.

Injuries can create depression too as you are not able to do the things you want and have to adjust.

As some of you may be aware I have very recently broken my collarbone and required nine screws and a plate to hold my shoulder together and I have learnt quite a lot from fellow MR members just talking and hearing there stories of recovery and although I have still much to learn and deal with I thought this might help myself but mainly others, so my idea is to create this thread to help people who are injured if it’s on a bike or not, in a number of ways.

Learning about the injury sustained as often people are given very little information from medical practitioners. (I didn’t even get my x-ray explained properly!) And generally understanding what your injury is and can cause

Learning about coping with living with an injury in the short term.

Information about recovery through people who have had injuries in the past and have stories of their own to share to help people understand what to expect. What’s worked for you? What hasn’t?

Information regarding rehabilitation and physiotherapy services i.e.;

Sports Physiotherapist Melbourne | Sandringham Sports Medicine
Rehabilitation After Surgery- Joint Replacment, ACL Reconstruction

www.oup.com.au/__data/assets/.../PDHPE_HSC_e_chapter_Ch19.pdf

Injuries can affect all areas of life including employment so services such as this

Returning to work after injury or illness
The Injured Workers Support Network » Giving Assistance to Injured and Disabled Workers

Helping in keeping people’s views on recovery bright and allowing people in early stages of injury recovery to see how other people progressed and got better.
Injury can affect all areas of life and through the last few weeks just being able to talk about it with like minded people has been a great comfort to me so I hope that this thread can become a useful resource and a place for people to help one and other, after all we all MINIRIDERS!!

I urge fellow members to get involved, if you have a story tell it, if you have a recourse share it, and With your help, we can continue to provide vital support and services that rebuild lives, promote independence and prevent further injury.

Hope this takes off and actually helps some people..:grinning-smiley-003

Cheers ,

Roy

thanks guys i obviously got a bit to much time on my hands..... hand..
but yeah MR is wicked n helped me lots already, so just a thought

good stuff roy boy

i had a pretty tuff time when i busted my knee

i was like you wasn't told anything about my injury but i was told i would probably not be able to ride again (which was bull sh!t) but i didn't know that.

all good man

ando has broken both collar bones and he's been back on the bike after both times
i know a bloke that breaks his arm every year riding quads and it's got pins and **** everywhere

you'll be right mate we'll have ya racing vcm in no time

the mechanical shoulder might be of advantage you never know.....

I found my biggest hurdle during my 2 years off work ,3 months in a wheel chair and numerous surgeries was fighting the addiction to pain meds, if it wasnt for my now wife i would probably be a drug addict. So just a heads up, dont give in to addiction

good stuff roy boy

i had a pretty tuff time when i busted my knee

i was like you wasn't told anything about my injury but i was told i would probably not be able to ride again (which was bull sh!t) but i didn't know that.

all good man

ando has broken both collar bones and he's been back on the bike after both times
i know a bloke that breaks his arm every year riding quads and it's got pins and **** everywhere

you'll be right mate we'll have ya racing vcm in no time

the mechanical shoulder might be of advantage you never know.....

Hey coolee,
thanks for the input and this is what im hopingthis thread can be about, sharing experience and offering advice

I found my biggest hurdle during my 2 years off work ,3 months in a wheel chair and numerous surgeries was fighting the addiction to pain meds, if it wasnt for my now wife i would probably be a drug addict. So just a heads up, dont give in to addiction

Thats pretty full on Hess , makes my arm seem pitty, was it a bike accident? and ho old were you at the time? how did it impact on your work and how did you survive?
you obviously went through some extensive rehab too?

and in regards to the pain killers this i think is a very important topic, i can see how it would be really easy to rely on the use f pain med and for it to become a problem even after pain is gone. i am currently taking endone to sleep ad dont like how it makes me feel but cant sleep without it so catch 22

Hey coolee,
thanks for the input and this is what im hopingthis thread can be about, sharing experience and offering advice

Thats pretty full on Hess , makes my arm seem pitty, was it a bike accident? and ho old were you at the time? how did it impact on your work and how did you survive?
you obviously went through some extensive rehab too?

and in regards to the pain killers this i think is a very important topic, i can see how it would be really easy to rely on the use f pain med and for it to become a problem even after pain is gone. i am currently taking endone to sleep ad dont like how it makes me feel but cant sleep without it so catch 22

Yeah was on a bike mate crf450 full built motor, invested alot of coin to go as far as i could. Was at the local track doing a practice round and me and another rider hit a table top way to quick and we both scrubbed towards eachother. I landed on my head and he on his wheels (my good mate aswell). I dont remember much until hospital were the nice nurse stuck a digit up me ass and that woke me up. They said i had compressed my neck 4mm ,torn out my right shoulderand torn all the muscle of the bone and broke all the nerves in my right bicep, broke right ankle and tore the ligaments and multiple cuts and bruises. I was fortunate to be on a construction job at the time and only 1 week earlier the union had negotiated a new deal for us to get 24/7 365 insurance paid by work. So i lived on a couple of thou a week for 2 years, got my surgeries out of the way and started 8 months of rehab. Only reason i got through it is becuase of my misus now wife. She got me off the pain meds and sleeping meds and into a gym to get better. It was a very long 2 years.

Jeebus HESS that sounds nuts. good to hear your back up n running/riding. Alot of people probly wouldn't of kept riding after that.... Oh Well, in the words of Anthrax "what doesn't kill us makes us stonger" :)

great thread here roy, nice work. yeh i know about those collar bone things, broke one on a pushbike with no brakes last year riding down the driveway. when i got to the hospital they just me a sling and some pain tablets then sent me home!!! they should set it back in place because now it is all bent and stuffed plus i think its putting my back out.

Yeah was on a bike mate crf450 full built motor, invested alot of coin to go as far as i could. Was at the local track doing a practice round and me and another rider hit a table top way to quick and we both scrubbed towards eachother. I landed on my head and he on his wheels (my good mate aswell). I dont remember much until hospital were the nice nurse stuck a digit up me ass and that woke me up. They said i had compressed my neck 4mm ,torn out my right shoulderand torn all the muscle of the bone and broke all the nerves in my right bicep, broke right ankle and tore the ligaments and multiple cuts and bruises. I was fortunate to be on a construction job at the time and only 1 week earlier the union had negotiated a new deal for us to get 24/7 365 insurance paid by work. So i lived on a couple of thou a week for 2 years, got my surgeries out of the way and started 8 months of rehab. Only reason i got through it is becuase of my misus now wife. She got me off the pain meds and sleeping meds and into a gym to get better. It was a very long 2 years.

Thanks for sharing Hess,thats some serious stuff you went through mate,
im sure itwas an extremley testing time for you, how did you find rehab and do you think you would have or should have gone about anything different to how you did?
did you regain full feeling or any permanant nerve damadge?

great thread here roy, nice work. yeh i know about those collar bone things, broke one on a pushbike with no brakes last year riding down the driveway. when i got to the hospital they just me a sling and some pain tablets then sent me home!!! they should set it back in place because now it is all bent and stuffed plus i think its putting my back out.

Did you do any physio or rehab sammy?
maybe you should look into getn sorted as you may find you go through more trouble later in life as a result.

nah mate none of that, but it is true i should see someone about it because every time i sleep on my left side i wake up really sore in the shoulder and back.

I wish i had have seen a sports physio and my local osteopath, wouldve been way better. Still got no feeling im my right bicep/shoulder and about 80% use of it 95% if i push but i pay for it the next day

I wish i had have seen a sports physio and my local osteopath, wouldve been way better. Still got no feeling im my right bicep/shoulder and about 80% use of it 95% if i push but i pay for it the next day

I'd deffinately agree on the Osteo. I have a pretty bad neck from various sporting injuries, and out of all the various types of "fixers" such as chiropractor, sporsts physio, sports massage, soft tissue therapy, thai massage and acupuncture therapy the osteo is by far the best. He has also managed to help a few other things iv'e had along the way such as bad knee joints and stuffed spine.

I would highly reccomend Bowen therapy as well.

Nothing else has worked as well as Bowen for me after my shoulder reco. Helped me gain a whole lot more movement quicker than a physio.

My mother in law does raiky (spellin?) therapy on me and other hippie stuff. Bloody awesome stuff

Atleast you got your collarbone plated i reckon , all i got told was we cant do anything but just let it heal ... now i got half my collarbone sticking out of my skin and struggle to sleep on my left side lol , plus lost a little bit of movement...

Now i would have to go to the doctor have it re broken and plated back into normal position ...

21071_226264181940_5970878_n.jpg

hey woggy, the advice you got is criminal mate, what a load of ****. i can see how that would massively affect you. I dislocated my right shoulder in may and that is nothing compared to you guys and even that can be a life changing experience when it happens, currently im going to the hospital to regain proper use of my arm as im to broke to pay for physio or other therapy. Good thread roy, this is really important for people to get there pain off there chest so to speak, and let others know about how they should or will end up dealing with there injuries.:coolthumb:

Latest posts

Back