The Ollie Rocket project

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ash.onmtb

Reaction score
So I'm pretty new to all this 50 stuff, so ya'll treat me gentle, but I've gotten my hands on a pile of parts, and my 8month old is pretty much crying out for a bike. And what sort of person would I be to deny him. Possibly walking should come first, but I'll just keep the bike run in for him.

A long time ago, I bought a pile of parts off Foolsp33d on here, and I've just started to go through them now. There is parts from 50j's and 50r's and a lot of things I don't know about, but you've gotta start somewhere!

My plan to build this up is to build it once, build it slow and build it right. Its going to be tame, reliable and nice to ride. Not a grumpy little animal that requires constant love. I want to be able to roll it out, check the fuel, kick it a few times and ride ride ride. So I've got a few questions hopefully you can all help with.

I'm happy to buy genuine or close enough for new bushes etc, but I wonder what areas I can improve the bike for the long term. Bushes for the swing arm - can I get them in bearings? That sort of thing? I have a PP140 and replaced all the usual items and now its great. I want to do the same thing with this 50. Take the things that usually fail/wear out and replace them before it happens.

Big kids and little kids will use it so it needs to be tough enough.

I need parts. Quite a few parts. Where is the best place to look for things like:
Fork bushings
Fork dust wipers etc
New fork legs (lowers)
Seat (R style)
Rear shocks and bushings
Swingarm bushes
Bolts for motor mounting (bolt shop?)

I want to get a design locked away so I get paint as I go. I'm thinking of a cream/white colored frame, an already cherry red flake tank, black parts and maybe white wheels? Need to see some cool designs and build ups, any links that you know of.

I'll post up some pics when I've laid out the parts, see if you guys can help me identify some of the stuff I've got.

Thanks

Righto, thanks.

Question - can you get the rear shocks apart on these bikes? The rear shocks need a tidy up, and I'd probably like to do something with the springs also, but need to get them apart. The shock body doens't seem to unthread, how do you get them apart??

Also, is there a solution to bending the upper shock mounts?? They have a bit of a lean to them which I'll bend back out, but is there a way to stop it happening again? Some sort of bracing arrangemnt or anything?

Righto, thanks.

Question - can you get the rear shocks apart on these bikes? The rear shocks need a tidy up, and I'd probably like to do something with the springs also, but need to get them apart. The shock body doens't seem to unthread, how do you get them apart??

Also, is there a solution to bending the upper shock mounts?? They have a bit of a lean to them which I'll bend back out, but is there a way to stop it happening again? Some sort of bracing arrangemnt or anything?
Probably better off replacing the whole shock assembly with a dnm or alike (may not be cheaper) however they have much better valving and i dont know where you can get parts for the old shock

yep, dnm, fastace, or if u could afford it, an elka would be much easier than repairing your shock. I was planning on doing the same with my shock, but just decided to bite the bullet and get a dnm. cant wait :)

The current ones measure about 270mm c to c - I assume that they should be replaced like for like? Anyone got link to decent dnm/fastace options? *if* I was to get a decent set of shocks for the rear end, what options do I have in forks then??! I've got 2 pairs of forks, incomplete, from a R and a J, but they are undampedand in bits. What sort of options do I have to match the rear end, and stay vaguely in theme?

it's about time you posted up some pics too ! lol

wasn't sure anyone was watching. Will get some up this arvo.

Thanks for the tips.

So I've started to get some photos together but photobucket has had a fit.. So these are all I"ve got until it sorts itself out.

Motor is unknown, anoyne care to guess before it gets cleaned up? I can't see any honda castings or stamping on it so I'd suspect its chinese... Needs a cover over the flywheel side, and a good strip down and rebuild. All makes me wonder if its worthwhile.

Couple of sets of wheels - think I'll go for the round hole not the jelly bean ones. Anyone know the difference? Can they be 'upgraded' whilst they get rebuilt? I'll probably sandblast and powdercoat them, once I've worked out a colour scheme.

And I'm going to need some ideas for that!!

this thread has had close on 500 views so far.
needs pics to keep the comments coming .

the engine case will have a number stamped into it below the sprocket, the top number/letters

it looks like a 110 semi auto ? a 1P52FMH maybe ?

That motor is a genuine unit out of a 83/84 Z50R and with the wheels the round hole are the early J model and the others are off the R model. J's are a bit stronger because they have a 4 bolt hub compared to the R's that have only a 3 bolt hub

so the wheels - which wheels do people think might look better. The whole thing I'm going for is this type of thing

1987Z50R.jpg

So jelly bean slots or round? Are there any other factors that would make one a better choice over the other? Staying with stock brakes, will redo bearings and seals naturally. Or are the wheels just cosmetically different?

This is pretty much one end of what I'm trying to achieve, I think - modified everything. I really do like it, but its for my kid, so it needs to be tame, just reliable and strong enough for big kids to have a rap around on.

IMG_1871.jpg

That top pic is probably the look I'm chasing, unless people have a better option?!! -

This is the motor -

i would be building it factory original, keep the matching wheels to the bike, worth more in the end.

but if you are going to do a custom, then it's all your choice.

gold rims look nice imo, they fit in well with the blue/red/white them too.
but the metallic powdercoating i have seen doesn't come up that good.

maybe go for a decent 2K paint job ?
have the parts sandblasted, and use some PPC as a base, then spray the metallic colour, and finish it with a couple of coats of Clear PPC/ again
it is super tough paint.

yeh, i do like the look of the gold jellybean styled wheels, add a bit of character, and are a bit different

Latest posts

Back