Time To Hit The Road (legal mini help)

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomaszBurcon

Reaction score
hey guys,
i am turning 16 this year and i am wanting to get my L's, and start riding on the road so my questions are:

do i need a special license to ride a mini on the road? (by special, i mean different to a normal moto license)

do i have to get my car L's, before i get my moto L's?

and last but not least what kind of mini should i get that is road legal?
been looking at ct and zeddas but i am open to suggestions!

im pritty sure u need to have your p's for a year untill u can get your bike L's?

Just motorbike licence all you need. all the same, other then when on L's for motorbike must be under 650cc or less

In WA we have 250cc class R-E and open class R... i do believe NSW only has Open lic.

Zeders that are licenced as 50cc can be ridden on a car lic or moped lic if your not old enough to have a car lic yet
CT's how ever are 72cc so you need a 250cc lic minimum to ride them around legally

in QLD you have to have your P's for 12 months before you can sit your L's and you can ride up to a 650 as long as it LAMS approved... so power to weight ratio same with cars.. and im pretty sure eichkay was right.. with the whole car license with a 50cc engine..

unfortunatly (or is it) each state has different laws RE bike and learner/Probationary tickets.. i THINK Aus is wholly now under LAMS laws.. but you should check with your local state regualtions, just to be sure. This should of been your first point of approach rather than the forum.

Being you are from NSW. have a look here:
Learner rider licence

Obtaining a NSW Motorcycle Learner

once you have finished the reading... reply with the information you found helpful, so the next time the question is asked.. there is a direct response and is quickly resolved :)

"You must be at least 16 years and 9 months old before you are issued with a learner rider licence. However, you may book into and attend a pre-learner course at the age of 16 years and 6 months. You do not have to hold a driver licence to get a motorcycle licence.
"
so no i do need a special license to ride a mini on the road.
and no i do not need my car L's, before i get my moto L's.

so that solves those 2 problems, and now it is just figuring out what bikes i can get. so yeah guys open to suggestions!

Last edited:
"You must be at least 16 years and 9 months old before you are issued with a learner rider licence. However, you may book into and attend a pre-learner course at the age of 16 years and 6 months. You do not have to hold a driver licence to get a motorcycle licence.
"
so no i do need a special license to ride a mini on the road.
and no i do not need my car L's, before i get my moto L's.

so that solves those 2 problems, and now it is just figuring out what bikes i can get. so yeah guys open to suggestions!

WOW THANKS FOOLS. THAT REALLY HELPED ME OUT.. PROPS TO YOU!!

YEH.. No worries :mmph:

Dont know why im bothering.. but...
figuring out what bikes i can get
Approved motorcycles for novice riders

:damnmate::google:

Last edited:
i know what bikes are approved learners bikes!

i was trying to get an opinion of what bike people think would be good

and yes thank you foolsp33d!!!

Latest posts

Back