*Trailer Build*

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottWADZ

Reaction score
Hey everyone and welcome to my Trailer Build Thread,

I decided to get back into Mini Bike's/Thumpers whatever you want to call them so decided to purchase myself a trailer to carry around the bikes, so here will be my updated log of my trailer build from start to finish.

bhn59c.jpg

^
As you can see it needs some TLC, the frame work is already welded up to suit.

2utrxqq.jpg

All in all not a bad deal for $350 he even through in the Sheet metal to finish it off which is valued over $800 so im already ahead :)
Also has a storage Unit under the base of the trailer.

-To Do List -

-New Floor
-New Guards
-Cut/Install rest of Sheet Metal
-LED Tailights/Indicators
-Storage Boxes inside
-Change back opening door to gas struts so it lifts up and also acts as an annex

And loads more once i think of them.

Will upload more pictures tomorrow as it was too dark to take photos when i got it home.
Will be updating this thread on a regular basis when changes are made :)

Finally got it home to take some more pictures and assess the damage, removed side panels

sepurt.jpg

Just a front view of the trailer.

1z1z6e8.jpg

Some more photos...

i70ahz.jpg

As you can see it's a pretty solid trailer minor welds have to be re-done but overall it's in decent shape.

Attachments

• IMG_2221.JPG
    IMG_2221.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2222.JPG
    IMG_2222.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2223.JPG
    IMG_2223.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
nice pick up there.

it's got a bit of work left to do, but as you said you can customize it to suit your needs.
and plenty of room for some huge Miniriders stickers down the sides too !

Was going to ask about those,
Whats the biggest size you can get with miniriders stickers?

fodoxs.jpg

Some heavy duty suspension with a touch of surface rust ;)

v6j7v9.jpg

Steel floor underneath the aluminium sheet (Totally Dead)

2ufvcqp.jpg

After taking the first layer of Aluminium sheet off i found this beautiful looking RUST pile

nohn2w.jpg

Lovely whole in the top corner of the floor.

Attachments

• IMG_2224.JPG
    IMG_2224.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2228.JPG
    IMG_2228.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2229.JPG
    IMG_2229.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
As the days go by and the nights get longer i push myself to get as much prep work done as i can.
Its slowly coming together as the days go by, i usually lose interest by now but it seems this project is keeping me well busy so no time to slack off.

5udzr4.jpg

Trailer is gutted and floor is removed.

1faa6u.jpg

Discovered this little steel storage unit under the base of the trailer which i have no use for so therefore it must go :)

2ykgdpg.jpg

Old man wanted something to do..

After removing the floor, steel storage unit and inspecting of the trailer i had decided to go ahead and decide to redo the rear light bar and add in LED's (eventually) to give it a fresh new look instead of the old crappy ones.

1zgvzbb.jpg

Light Bar removed.

1izad.jpg

Like i expected, a trailer in this condition's wiring job to look like.

As being one of many perks from my job the handiness of having your own sandblaster is great, so trailer is now rust free (Frame Only at this Point) rust converter slapped on and primed and ready for a paint, also grind all the nitty gritty un-necessary welds and random screws submerged in the frame.
The rear light bar i removed earlier is primed and ready for paint also.

1zgez48.jpg

Light bar all prepped and ready to be painted.

fwuhvk.jpg

Blasted and rust free :D

ix818n.jpg

Frame all primed up.

2vj5zyx.jpg

And here is how it sits at this current time.

Still a while off the end result but im very happy with how it is coming along so far.

COMING WEEKS
-Reinforce the welds.
-Weld Door frames together
-Install new Subfloor
-Finish Light Bar
-Install MudGuards

Thanks to those who are so far reading this and keeping track of how my current project is coming along, feel free to post up your feedback and suggestions to help improve the trailer eg. Use of space, storage ect..

Far out mate you don't mess round!! Coming up a treat.

What you plan on using to cover it? That metal sheet get's pretty expensive.

You can buy for the front a storage box that's a triangle. Really good idea I reckon.

Are you going to put runners for bikes in or recess holes that the wheels sit in?

Appreciate you taking the time to share. Love me a good trailer build. :)

yeah reps for getting into it so quick.

i'd be getting some diamond/checker plate for the floor, mine cost $120 for a new sheet of 3mm 2400x1200mm
it looks like the frame work is set up to have a door on the l/h side rear, and another on the front draw bar extension too maybe ?
are the side panels you got for it just colour bond sheeting? that is pretty cheap to buy new either and it helps to keep the weight down
some clearance centres also have aluminium sheeting seconds for sale cheap too, here's someone local to me that sells a 1mm thick 1200x2400 sheet for $79

i would be thinking about drilling some holes in the floor so you can bolt in some tie down points when they're needed.
that way if you wanted to move some furniture etc around, there wouldn't be anyhting fixed to the floor, and in the way.
you could add some jerry can holders too

you could make a spare wheel mount for it, underneath might be the go to keep the weight off the draw bar

how does the trailer sit when it's on your towbar ? is it level ?
if not, you could alway's mount the trailer axle onto the top of the leaf springs if you needed, that would lower the trailer about 75mm

and one last thing,
i have seen a few people use their enclosed boxed trailers as a podium at different events, they set up a table and chairs on the roof of them.
and have a basic ladder made up to get up there.
it gives you an excellent view of what's going on around you at the rack etc
that would require a bit more strengthening on the sides, and across the roof through.

Last edited:
@Motorman

I was lucky enough that the guy through in the Sheet Metal with the deal he just wanted it gone.

Yeah the front triangle i was planning on converting to cupboard space to hold some loose items that seem to take up useless space. Will be making it all from scratch :)

I decided not to have runners in-case i need to use it for other things such as moving furniture ect, i even thought about making the runners removable but then i would get sick of having to take them out all the time.

@My67xr
I will be making the floor out of treated timber so when it gets wet it won't rot, will then screw the old piece of aluminium sheet that came off it into the Timber making it a solid floor, then using one of my other trades will lay down some old 60's diner Vinyl the black and white chessboard type.

Not too sure on the type of Metal it is but it has a bit of weight to it (will upload a picture once i get back up there.

Yeah Tie down points will defiantly be added, iv'e done some playing around with placement of the bikes and will be able to fit 3 Pittys diagonally in there with still plenty of room.

Yeah, saw some Jerry can holders down at CARAC while getting prices for my guards, $15 for Jerry Can holder and $21 each for guards not bad.

Spare wheel still deciding where to be placed, fits nice and snug on the draw bar but like you said will be less weight with ought it, need somewhere for a small toolbox to sit also :)

As for the trailer sitting on my tow bar, could not be anymore spot on.

I like the podium idea will consider that when putting it all back together, I would like to even once finished use this to carry other peoples bikes to events to advertise Miniriders.com once completed.

*UPDATE*
4/09/2014 9;30pm

- Purchased new Trailer plug
- Some matte black Kill Rust topcoat to finish off the frame
- Ordered the new Trailer LED's
- Buying the Guards tomorrow.

As it's fathers day weekend wont be able to do much, heading away to ballarat until Sunday, but can't wait to get back so i an get back into this build.

Latest posts

Back