Tricks of the trade

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
would i need to tune my bike after these basic mods, i dont see why i would have to.
cheers
p.s great link unit :)

Great thread, some really useful info coming out of the woodwork! I see a few questions related to porting and polishing so I thought I might share this, there's some very helpful info here :

DIY - Basic Cylinder Head Porting -Standard Abrasives Motor Sports

And this other Link is to a general "Bike" Tips page. This place is a great site to have in your Favourites! It's helped me plenty! The Guy who owns it seems a bit odd sprouting religous quotes here and there but all in all a very informative repair / tips guide. Check it out, you'll see what I mean!!

Motorcycle Repair Course

Awesome thread mate, im a tight arse(or broke arse more like it) and these mods are dirt cheap and very useful, hope to be performing these soon Cheers

can anyone give me anything indepth in relation to 3)measure the diameter of the engine head inlet and the manifold inlet part of the carby ,write it down as the we will port this out to match the two inlets...or just the whole process am i am a bit confused on what we are matching...

whitty im not 100% sure myself, but from what i understand its like this:

get a caliper or something, and measure the diametre of the hole in your engine block that the manifold goes into.
you want that hole to match the size of the pipe between the carby and the engine block itself.
so basically you are sanding it etc to widen it up so that there is no restriction between the carby and the engine block.
hope that helps!

the IRK will make you lose a lot of bottom end torqe, it'll just make you're bike rev faster

whitty im not 100% sure myself, but from what i understand its like this:

get a caliper or something, and measure the diametre of the hole in your engine block that the manifold goes into.
you want that hole to match the size of the pipe between the carby and the engine block itself.
so basically you are sanding it etc to widen it up so that there is no restriction between the carby and the engine block.
hope that helps!

best things using bearing blue or ink on both faces, slip in some paper and screw it on... pull it apart and look thru the paper against the light...
then you can see if the holes are actually in line and what material needs removing from where...

great thread.

what about for the people who are half poor.

if you got 50 bucks lying around, go and buy an aftermarket performance cdi and coil

the cdi will send a larger pump to the coil wich will give a larger spark

match it to a good spark plug and it will make a diff:)

sick thread mate
im gonna port and pollish my manifold tomorrow
cheers

I have no idea if this applies or is relevant to the small size of pitbike wheels, but on our motocross bikes we used to cable tie each of the spokes where they crossed over.

yer top post unit one question though, how do i port the hole in the head with out gettn metal dust in there??:eek:

you dont port no head, u port the INTAKE MANIFOLD the thing coming out of the head into the carb.

if your sick of ripping valves out of tubes , and are to tight to get a rim lock .
stick a couple of short self tapping screws thru the rim and into the tyre ,make sure they dont go into tube .
about 4 on the back and 2 on the front

Glad to have found this thread :)

I got a rough looking intake manifold with my new OKO carby today. Well, from what I've read it sounds like they are all rough as guts :eek:

So it must be time to make use of that Dremmel Kit I bought years ago!

Here are a few pics to show what a manifold looks like (brand new) and what part of it needs tidying up (ie. the entire inside bit!!)

intake-m_03.jpg

intake-m_02.jpg

intake-m_01.jpg

intake-m_04.jpg

I'll put some more pics up after the job is done ;)

i gave the porting trick ago on the manifold, turned out alright, all smoothed and polished :)
ill post pics later

Latest posts

Back