USD Fork pulldown, diagnostics and rebuild

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O.K... apparantly (according to the Atomik mechanic) there is a allen key up the inside of the bottom of the fork leg. This must be undone first and then the bottom of the fork leg slides off. Haven't yet tried it but will do tonight (if i get time) and I shall post back and let you all know.

Soooo, i tried on the weekend to do as written above, i have decided that is a load of crap. The allen key also freespins unless you have the tool to lock it from the inside of the fork stem, of which you can only get too once it is completely stripped down. On a side note they look nothing like the ones in the initial diagram, the only similarities are they both have springs and a top nut, but thats where the similarities end. Anyway as for filling them with oil first remove the existing head nut off the Leg, then detach from the leg itself. Then remove the nut holding the spring in place and then the spring. Hold upside down and pump the spring bolt up and down a few times while holding upside down to remove the oil and pump out the excess. Then (being carefull not to loose the bolt back down the stem) fill up with the required oil (i used 235ml of 5w) adding a bit at a time so it does not overflow out the stem. Then lean on around a 45degree angle (so the bolt doesn't slide back down) and replace the spring very carefully as not to jam the bolt back down the stem. Then push the spring down, replace the bolt and replace the top cover/nut and put back together. Now this is definatley not gospel... But this is the only way i could work out to redo the oil in these, so if anyone else has other ideas please let us know :)

Last edited:
anybody got any other ideas on getting the bottom of the fork leg off? I have tried with the soft type jaws and the things just keep spinning (used wood, plastic and cork as clamping material...) I'm not to keen on using a standard vice as i'm sure I will crease the metal...

Hi all,

I'm currently pulling my forks apart and found a great way to get the bottom of the fork leg off risking no damage to the fork tube. Rather than clamping the fork tube in soft jaws or risking it in a regular vice, simply clamp the bottom of the fork leg (where the axle goes through) into a regular vice (use a rag to avoid scratching the paint), then use a strap wrench wrapped around the fork tube to undo it...and to do it back up nice and tight again when you're done. Hope that helps some people out.

I'm currently stuck getting the annoying retaining clips of the inner tube off. They just keep spinning. Wish the Chinese used proper circlips. :mmph:

Just pop the top off timmy and poor the oil out into a measuring container so you know roughly how much and done. It's easy. Don't need to dismantle the entire fork. Lol

yeah timmy if your just changing the fork oil than do it baz's way
your forks are not like this set but will be similar

the grub screws that abombit were talking about are on the side of the bottom peice of the fork leg
not the ones on the bottom

if they even have one than you've already destroyed 1/8 of the thread

Latest posts

Back