Using a Chinese bike as a cheap base to get into pit bikes...

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoozo

Banned Wanker of the Century
Reaction score
Hi I'm new here. New to riding motorbikes too....but defiantly not new to bikes just bikes with motors. I went and bought a TDR 125 ox7 from ebay.

Pretty sure you know the one the 125cc TDR with a ducar motor. I did do my research and I was thinking this will be perfect A.its cheap and B.I wont want to break it which should keep me a little safer than something indestructable.

Now I'm thinking I'll eventually start jumping again (I quit riding BMX years ago because i got sick of hurting myself and I used to be a sponsored DH racer in my youth) I'll probably have to build it onto another frame as I don't really want to be on it if it snaps. Im not a heavy guy at around 75kg. But I will start jumping I know myself well enough to know it has 2 wheels it wont stay on the ground for ever! I was just having a look and seems like I can pick up a pit pro cromo box frame and swing arm for around $200 brand new. Light bulb moment....why dont I just build the parts I have bought onto this frame instead of running the chinese pos.

I plan on stripping it and loctite-ing the crap out of every bolt from what I have heard this will increase reliability of the whole thing. I'm moving to a farm in a couple of weeks hence buying the bike because I will have somewhere to ride it! Thinking this might be the first mod I do. Has anyone done this before? Then I would technically have a pit pro not a cheap crappy chinese framed mini(albeit with not the greatest parts)....thing hasn't even arrived yet and im thinking like this. First motorbike ive ever owned its pretty exciting...CANT WAIT!

welcome to Miniriders,

make sure you drop by into our Introduce Yourself thread and say g'day while your here too.

yeah a few here have swapped frames at some stage,
just double check that your current plastics will fit onto the new frame too, the tanks and seats can be different too.
there are a few different types , CRF50, CRF70, KLX110, and TTR110

bike set up-
http://www.miniriders.com/bike-setup/24239-achtung-noobs-your-new-pitbike-you-set-up-tips.html

here's a thread that might help you when you want to add an avatar etc
http://www.miniriders.com/general-c...ers-old-new-few-helpful-tips-hints-ideas.html

btw, how much did the TDR cost with postage ?

if you need anything else, just ask

cheers, craig

Cool sounds good thanks guys! Yep I have already read the 'pre check and set up' bit. I was one of the first people to be riding dual suspension DH bikes when they hit the market late 90s, EVERYTHING....read EVERY f-n part used to break or come loose. Same kinda precheck thing for those undo bolts and loctite the crap out of anything you didnt want to loose. Also the same as the RC car so, fingers crossed I get one that was built on a tuesday not a friday ;) Infact one of my DH bikes went through about 10 rear shock bolts because they would regularly bend. I used to buy 3 at a time just cause I knew I'd keep going through them.

Im liking that plan as I just cant come up with $1000 otherwise I would have got the genuine thumpster 125 on special for like $799 but its almost $1000 with shipping :/

Yeah I cant remember the last time I was this excited. Probably the last time I bought a BMX in like 2004. the 125 Ducar seemed like I was bidding on ebay against the computer. It was $497 with postage to Adelaide.
Sort of had 380 in my head so only $10 over budget.

Now I guess, time to put that old MTB knowledge to good use. Has anyone been riding in the old Lynton dump in Adelaide? There are like 50 entrances into that place and I swear its PERFECT for minis(not the mtb track though leave them for the mtbs) Lots of fire roads in there....unsure about the 'legality' but the area in there is huge and people rarely go to some of the quarries out the back. Thinking I might take it for a squirt there. I also know of a huge private block that has some jumps on it in Belair. Not sure if the guy has built a house there yet or not but lots of MTB traffic and a nice looking hill climb in there. Its unused Private property so no one except the owner can tell you to get out, its also REALLY out of the way! ;)

i haven't ridden up at the old Lyton Dump for 32 years, lol
i bought my old 1972 Yamaha MX175 from a guy that rode it there
i'd almost be certain it's illegal to ride there now days.

so what area are you from?
i'm originally from Belair/Glenalta
i learnt to ride my first Deltek Minibike on my grandfathers farm, bottom of Lafffers road

Gooch Court, Belair....You'd know me if you were a local ;) I used to race for JT Cycles in Juniors when I was 15-18 on specialized bikes. Did you ever do train runs on mtbs? Remember the jumps in the property behind Pinera station the place with the dog? That was my backyard growing up....that would be PERFECT for minis but alas was sold like 10 years ago.

nah, i'm 45 now,
so there weren't Mountain bikes back when i was riding, but BMX's hadn't long shown up
my brother Jason used to work at Cyclerider Blackwood, you may have met him ?

i moved out of home when i was 17 to the Marion area.

Yeah you're like 14 year older than me. I DID WORK EXPERIENCE AT THE CYCLERIDER WHEN I WAS 15 amd used to hang around there a lot when i was bit older 16-18....Geoff was funny as, such an awesome bloke, yelling at my mates for bringing their bikes in for a service ****ing covered in mud(I used to agree with Geoff most of the time)

.....Jason....hmmm I think I remember he was the guy before Dean Mogeridge started? I was more around when Dean was around as the helper. Cyclerider is all gone now :( the new owner didnt do so well after Geoff left! He never parked the van at the front which was pretty much the point of having the van! Sad to see it go :( especially as mega bike in Blackwood hire dribbling morons....young bloke told me last time I required bike parts, what no they DONT make flat metal pedals for 1/2 inch cranks only crappy plastic kids pedals(facepalm)....seriously felt like slapping him but just laughed and walked out instead....never been back in there since! Went to Goodwood road the guy had 3 different types in stock on his wall....so much for NOT making them Mega Bike.....

Also bike is in the mail with any luck will be here Wednesday!!! If the frame goes I'm just going to buy a SDG frame...seems like the go...or just save up and buy something built decently! Defiantly buying new sprockets before I even attempt to go flat out.... ;)

Latest posts

Back