Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicknackzz13

Reaction score
Anyone know what happened? bikes 3weeks old brand new.. done valve clearences tonight with all these 006 004
003 005
003 004
003 002
004 0025 and it wont fire up at all.. (apollo adr125).. anyone know what i could try?

the bike was running fine before this too and i done a new oil change last night, keep in mind this bike is 3weeks old brand new, and ever since i adjusted the valves to the 004 inlet -006 exhaust the bike never been starting.. theres good kick but theres not much sign of it starting, sometimes with the diff clearences there is little vroom ready to go? but not enough to start it...

what the hell could be wrong?? the bike is new and nothing is broke from what i know off, just ever since i done this it hasnt started since... started fine before i done this...

and i dont know what the valves were set on before i adjusted them so i have no idea how to get them back to what they already were?? unless someone can tell me...

2014 apollo ADR125cc

I have just replied to your PM, here it is

When i gave you the clearances to adjust your engine to, i said .003" for the intake (top valve)
and .004" for the exhaust (bottom valve)

I don't know what all those other number's are that you written ?

was the engine at TDC like described in the video ?

You kick it over till it gets hard (with the stator cover and cam gear cover off) then you turn it over a little more so that the markings on the flywheel/engine case and cam gear/head are both lined up.
^^ was this done ?

I would reset them to .003 and .004, then maybe adjust your idle speed up a touch ? 1/4 turn and see if it helps, otherwise it may need the mixture screw turned in to richer the mixture slightly ?
are you using choke ?

hey, yeah the mixture screw is 1.5 turns out from in and ive tried turning the idle in a bit but to no avail
the valves are at 003/005 so tmo ill have to put them to 003.004... what if i tighten them all the way in? would that bother the engine or do much??

What does 003/005 mean, .003" and .005" ? it will still start at those clearances
Why didn't you just do them to .003" and .004" ?

If you turn the adjusters all the way in, you'll bend the valves,
Then the head will need to come off and have the valves replaced.

Have you taken the chinese spark plug out and chucked it in the bin?
They need a decent spark plug, an NGK C7HSA, only cost a few $

What does 003/005 mean, .003" and .005" ? it will still start at those clearances
Why didn't you just do them to .003" and .004" ?

If you turn the adjusters all the way in, you'll bend the valves,
Then the head will need to come off and have the valves replaced.

Have you taken the chinese spark plug out and chucked it in the bin?
They need a decent spark plug, an NGK C7HSA, only cost a few $

Hey, the spark plug i have is a NGK C7SHA standard that came with bike, but i got a new one the same today anyways just to be safe lol.. i adjusted them to factory settings (from what i was told) intake is at .002 & exhaust is at .004 ..... by the way when i had it adjusted earlier to .003 intake and .004 for exhaust when i started the bike and revved it high it was rattly at the top end and when given full throttle or 1/4 throttle the bike wasnt given out any power and it somewhat sounded boggy? and rattly.. so i assume its too loose at one end?

:/ btw i PMed you dude..

Valve adjustment and weird noises

Long story short... valve adjustments on apollo 2014 adr125cc pit bike.
adjusted too:

Intake Exhaust
.003 .004
.004 .006
.005 .005
and lastly i got it on factory settings ( so ive been told) which is intake .002 exhaust .004
i havent started the bike since my last adjustment (intake .002 exhaust .004) due to tappet covers broken and chipped (had to order more tonight from Tbolt the billet kind)

but when i was adjusting them earlier everytime i started the bike it started fine without choke and infact it would die if i put the choke on? so i had to start and it with no choke (which is fine) but im use to warming the bike up with the choke lol.. anyways started it up and gave it a rev, sounded fine with a little rattlying which i dont like.. revved it high 1.4 throttle from 1.5 (ful) and it sounded like it was rev limiting with rattling noises and it bogging in and out with rattle noises and no power feeling...

anyone know how to fix this if it happens again with my new adjustments??

im so bummed out by this and i wanna make my bike run and start as perfect as i can get it cause ik how chinese bikes can be! :angry-smiley-010:

any help wanted and information on what to do will be greatly appreciated :)

ok, so you have done the valve clearance too tight on the inlet, .002" ?
it should be .003", a little bit rattly is ok, it's when it gets quiet is when it's not set properly (too tight)

you will need to adjust the mixture screw on the carby now, to find the sweet spot now that it's running better.

That bike is 3 weeks old? Why does it look 3 years old ? paints rubbed off the rear subframe etc

the stumbling etc at idle could be due to the intake valve being set to tight?
It could also have a vacuum leak at the carby/manifold or manifold to head ?

The bogging is a carby issue, lean on the Pilot Circuit, is the air filter oiled with filter oil ? It looks bone dry in your video.

You need to set the valve clearances to .003" on the inlet and .004" on the exhaust.
Once that is done, adjust the mixture screw to tune it, the small one at the front under the carby.

Sounds like there is the correct amount of oil in it, about 750mls?

Last edited:
That bike is 3 weeks old? Why does it look 3 years old ? paints rubbed off the rear subframe etc

the stumbling etc at idle could be due to the intake valve being set to tight?
It could also have a vacuum leak at the carby/manifold or manifold to head ?

The bogging is a carby issue, lean on the Pilot Circuit, is the air filter oiled with filter oil ? It looks bone dry in your video.

You need to set the valve clearances to .003" on the inlet and .004" on the exhaust.
Once that is done, adjust the mixture screw to tune it, the small one at the front under the carby.

Sounds like there is the correct amount of oil in it, about 750mls?

Nonono yall must not of read what i said, i said it SOUNDS KINDA like this bike on the youtube link.. that video isnt of my bike dudes!.. when he high revs his bike and it VROOOOooooooOOOOOOOooooOMs in and out it kinda is what mine is doing.. heres m bike ...
10929096_800600333328646_512581960893247654_n.jpg

when the bike is started it sounds fine other than a bit of rattlying from the top end engine area..

when bike is revved hard at around full throttle it will bog at the top end area? and it sounds like VRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOooooooooOOOOOOOOooooooom even when you hold the throttle it does this..

i got the valves at intake .002 & exhaust .003 (factory i guess?)

now the bike starts and all but the power issue with the high revving not working well is bugging me, also i can start it now off the choke better than before when i put it on choke itll slowly die out

PS: m carb is at a mixture screw adjustment of 1.5 turns out thats 1 180 degree turn from in then half 180 turn to make half..

Can you explain the process you use to adjust the carby?
And is your air filter oiled with filter oil?

Last edited:
Took the carb off, adjusted turned all the way in (but not tight) turned out 1 turn (from 9-3) then .5 turns out (3-6pm)

i think i know the issue? ive been measuring the valves wrong with the wrong feeler gauges.. whats the best setting for intake and exhaust valve clearances for 125cc pit bike in Millimeters (MM) is it 0.1 intake? and exhaust at 0.15 ?

Just an observation, but could he you talking about the rev limiter?

Also dude because these engines are precision built German engines they're always going to have a little rattle at the top end, hence why it's not advised to have such small tolerances with the valves.

lf you find it difficult to read a feeler gauge try using a business card for the inlet valve and a master card for the exhaust valve . works a treat out in the paddock.

Metric is .076mm for the inlet, and .1mm exhaust

As Cordogs mentioned too,
don't go holding it at WOT (wide open throttle/full throttle) they will valve bounce and something will end up breaking.

When talking about the mixture screw, just talk in full turns, eg 1½ turns out
That is a good baseline setting.

You haven't explained how you tune the mixture screw though.
And are you running Filter oil in the AIr Filter ?

All these questions are needed to be answered, as it will help us to help you tune your bike and get it running the best it can.

Last edited:
Metric is .076mm for the inlet, and .1mm exhaust

As Cordogs mentioned too,
don't go holding it at WOT (wide open throttle/full throttle) they will valve bounce and something will end up breaking.

When talking about the mixture screw, just talk in full turns, eg 1½ turns out
That is a good baseline setting.

You haven't explained how you tune the mixture screw though.
And are you running Filter oil in the AIr Filter ?

All these questions are needed to be answered, as it will help us to help you tune your bike and get it running the best it can.
No i didnt put any filter oil in the filter as i havent found any yet in stores here in the USA.. :/ ooh and sorry yes i tunred the carb with a flathead screw driver, i turned the fuel mixture screw in (when the carb is off the bike) turned it all the way in and then turned it 1.5 turns out (sorry i dont know how to make the 1½ on here but it is 1½ but instead of 2 itll be 5?)

Hey sorry i havent replied i think yall are from down under! im in the USA so also our measurment system is somewhat different? the feeler gauges i was using were inch ones.. so thou of an inch which isnt what i needed for the bike.. i now bought some new feeler gauges.. Ill put a picture here of the feeler gauges.. ive adjusted them to .004 intake & .006 for exhaust (i saw a video on youtube for this and also my mechanic who i havent got with me at this time to do this lol, told me the same measurments should be okay if not try .003 & .004)

These are my new feeler gauges so ill be adjusting the valves with these, i adjusted my intake to the 004 & exhaust at 006 so i used these 2
10934232_10203774943230934_552757129_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back