Want to install LED light bar on a 125cc rr PitPro

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConkerTS

Reaction score
Can anyone help me?
I want to install one of these 2X 7inch 36W Cree LED Work Light BAR Flood Offroad UTE Reversing Spot 12V 24V | eBay

Bit I'm not sure about the electronics. My pitpro has a lighting coil but i get confused at installing a 4 pin regulator to transfer the AC current to DC current and make it output 12v. Is this what they do? I also don't want to run a battery and just want to run off by the stator.
I've seen wiring diagrams but they just confuse me.

I just want to install the lightbar with a simple on/off switch (WITHOUT BLINKERS) on the handle bars.

Cheers!

you would need something like this then

and run a switch before the regulator on the yellow, and the white wires to turn it off when you dont need the light.
the red and green wires are the power/earth for the headlight

Ahhh,
So how do i get this piece of wiring connection?
And is that a fuse on the red wire?

It is an automotive 4 pin plug, you can buy them from repco autobarn and supercheap etc.
Yeah i put the fuse in there as a safety thing

Thanks!
But what do you mean by running a switch on both the yellow and white wires?
Couldn't I just run a switch on one?

well if you switch off just the one wire there will still be power running through the regulator/rectifier
the regulator can only get rid of so much power, then they can fail.
guess they are cheap enough to try it with 1 switched wire, Buy 2 of these, have 1 as a spare if it burns out
NEW Practical 12V ATV Scooter Dune Buggy Voltage Regulator Rectifier 50 150cc | eBay

the other way around it is the use a DPDT switch (double position, double throw), then run the yellow on one side and the white on the other.
so run the yellow wire from the stator to terminal 2, and then yellow out to the reg/rect through terminal 1
and run the white from the stator to terminal 5, and then the white out of the switch to reg/rect through terminal 4

1305127698-RoxDiagram-F-450w.jpg

Hmm, I think I'll just make a switch to the one wire.
They're only cheap.
And do you know what those cable connections are in the rubber tube that come off from the stator are called?wire.PNG
Thanks you for all your help!

i've used these switch's before, they are good/waterproof too.
IP65 Rated Round Rocker Switches DPDT 250VAC 6A - Jaycar Electronics
or you could use a kill switch for the headlight switch too
Universal Motorcycle Kill ON OFF Switch Button Handlebar Mount Bullet Connector | eBay

when you wire up the lights,
use a multimeter to check which wire (yellow or white) puts out the most power, then switch that wire before it gets to the regulator/rectifier

so set your meter to 200v AC,
put one wire from the meter to the yellow wire form the stator (with engine running)
and put the other lead from the meter to earth, or a green wire on the loom
you will get about 20 volts +/- 8 volts at idle, it may spike up to 50 volts ac at 4000 revs.

now test the white wire coming off the stator the same way
you should get 8 volts +/- 10 volts

i would cut those ends off and use better quaility plugs/sockets like Narva brand, these are from Supercheap
SCA Quick Connect Housing - 2 Way - Supercheap Auto Australia

the same type of plug (but a 4 pin like this, the 56254) ^^ will be needed for the regulator/rectifier as well
they are widely use in 1995 onwards cars too, so wreckers are a cheap source, have a look in the engine bays and up under the dash etc..

or just cut the cheap bullet connectors off and fit some automotive female spade terminals to the end of the yellow and the white wires, then plug them straight on to the terminals in the reg/rect

this is the wiring diagram for the reg/rect

Rectifier002.jpg

Thank you so much!
I purchased a simple on/off handlebar switch, 2 regulators (one from Australia to get it faster haha) and i will pop into jaycar to buy the wires and such.
Damn, we don't own any cars over 1995 :/ let alone 85!
Looks like i'll have to go to a wreckers or do a bit more online work.
I'm going to put a light on probably within the next few weeks so hope all ends well.
Made it so much clearer for me!
Cheers! :p

some of the older jap cars (mid 70's-late 80's use those plugs/sockets too

Oh, we have a few landcruisers out the back, I will check them.
Hopefully there is one, I want to make the job sleek and proper.

Cheers!

yeah, Repco, Supercheap, Bursons, Autobarn etc all sell them too, i posted the link before

Latest posts

Back