what can i do to give my bike more performance?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awesim ryder

Reaction score
i have a new atomik region 140 bigfoot with a lifan oil cooled engine. i am just wondering what are some things i can do to improve performance? i do not want to spend more than $300 as i do not ride it that much. oh and i know its an atomik so please can i have no one saying just get a new bike as i only got it because i brougt it of a mate for $800 in new condition. the onlything i have done to improve it is take off the atomik stiker kit. thanks for your help Xx

i have a feeling, what with the avatar and the xxxxing, we have a lady in our midst... i could be wrong...

all depends on how far you want to go...

race cams, be them the "gpx 7mm" on ebay, or akunar, tbolt, etc...depends how much you wanna spend.... but make the most difference of all the mods... ebay ones are $110 with springs, that do have to be used...

bbk and/or a hi comp piston.

porting work... burrs for a die grinder are about $50 roughly... stuff up and its new head time...

26mm carbie...mikuni fakes, whatever...budget again:) jetted in properly... $70 approx...wont make much difference by itself... same with a new exhaust...

removing the stickers and the plastics is the G.O.;) on anything:p

does it have a N1234 shift? or the older 1N234 style? changing wont make a performance difference but the n1234 is stronger...and more annoying when you need to find first quick...

its a all up gear box ye n1234

im not a girl dw

um i think i can manage most of that

thanks for that but keep the ideas coming im all ears

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/POWER-PIPE-110cc-to150cc-Thumpster-Pit-bike-WOW_W0QQitemZ160332312310QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories?hash=item25548ceef6&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=|293%3A1|294%3A30#ebayphotohosting[/URL]
or this exhaust???:s

You can also consider putting an inner rotor kit on the motor, which helps performance by lightening the flywheel, which makes the motor rev a HELL of a lot quicker than standard, and can be found pretty cheap on ebay. HOWEVER, IRK's are not the easiest thing for a beginner to ride, need plenty of clutch and revs to keep the thing on song, so it depends on your skill level, but if your chasing performance, then one would assume you can ride a little bit... some dont like the inner rotor kits, but i like em. mind you, been riding for 25+ years, so bit of experience under the belt...
i run a lifan 140 oil cooled on my custom mini... just over 10hp at the rear wheel. Doesnt sound like much, but it's a savage little motor in a bike weighing less than 60kg... power to weight is good....
Basically the motor mods list looks like this:

IRK ( inner rotor kit)
33mm header pipe with big bore carbon muffler
7mm lift cam (coincidentally, i bought the springs, but didnt need to install them. have sufficient valve/piston clearance)
28mm OKO Flatslide carby (dont recommend the 28mm for beginner riders or beginner tuners... try a 24 or 26mm OKO or mikuni)
Now this is important... if you change the carby, you will need to tune the jetting.. a lot of kids go chasing extra power, buy the gear, bolt it on, and the bike runs like a dog, and they go blaming the ebay seller or store they bought the stuff from, saying their bike used to work, now after putting their items on, it doesnt..
The IRK is pretty easy, but you'll need a flywheel puller to get the stator off..
the pipe will be a straight up bolt on part, but will effect jetting.
The Carby will definately effect jetting. when you buy one, try and request a #95 main jet from the seller, and use that as a starting point. for some reason, china carbies seem to come with #125+ main jets, way too big...

anyway, here's the links... go nuts..

IRK: INNER ROTOR KIT FLYWHEEL CDI CRF50 XR50 XR CRF 50 LIFAN - eBay, Other Accessories, Motorcycle Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 24-Jul-09 22:55:00 AEST)
I got one of them from these guys. got here in under a week, works great. same quality as the ones you get here in AU, just cheaper...
however if you wanna support local businesses...

IRK: INNER ROTOR KIT FREE OIL SLING 140cc 125cc CRF 50 - eBay, Other Cars, Bikes, Boats, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 03-Aug-09 10:44:28 AEST)

EXHAUST: BIG BORE ALLOY PERFORMANCE EXHAUST 125CC 140CC CRF50 - eBay Other Makes, Bike Parts, Motorcycle Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 28-Jul-09 13:51:49 AEST)

Carby: (OKO Flatslide - more expensive, slightly tricky to jet, but easier to work on and tune than a mikuni, better performance when jetted right) NEW OKO 26mm FLATSLIDE RACE CARBY KIT 140CC 150CC 160CC - eBay Other Makes, Bike Parts, Motorcycle Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 26-Jul-09 15:39:47 AEST)

Carby: (Mikuni Roundslide - cheaper, easier to jet, harder to tune in bike, reasonable performance)
NEW MIKUNI 26mm RACING CARBURETOR KIT 140CC 125CC LIFAN - eBay Other Makes, Bike Parts, Motorcycle Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 26-Jul-09 15:36:59 AEST)

Cam: NEW GPX 7MM RACE CAM, DUCAR LIFAN THUMPSTAR DHZ PITPRO - eBay Other Makes, Bike Parts, Motorcycle Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 24-Jul-09 11:43:39 AEST)

good luck with the auctions, but i dont recommend installing the cam yourself if you dont have a lot of spanner experience... only gotta get the timing wrong, and you're looking at a new head/piston etc...

All the above mods should see you get around 9-10 hp, with a redline at about 9500RPM... pretty similar to what mine runs with the same mods... and it's very quick for a baby motor...

Go nuts!

thanks for that il talk to my old man he wont let me put an irk on because it revs the engine to hard and his got the financial's so yea but that sounds good il probs start on the exhaust because the current one hurts ur ears if u stand behind it

im allso thinking protapers asv copy levers nd a new seat

9-10 horse power sound ok but considering the website says 12!!!hp its alot less

its not a bad bike just a gear ratio problem nd its china unless u can get it for $1000 or around that put ur money some where else

tell me how u go

thanks for that il talk to my old man he wont let me put an irk on because it revs the engine to hard and his got the financial's so yea but that sounds good il probs start on the exhaust because the current one hurts ur ears if u stand behind it

im allso thinking protapers asv copy levers nd a new seat

9-10 horse power sound ok but considering the website says 12!!!hp its alot less

first up dont believe the website power quote... you wont get 12hp out of a 140 without a LOT of work... they may get a tuned one at the factory to churn out 12hp at the flywheel, but the actual power at the rear wheel will be less, due to power loss through the drive train. (gearbox, chains, sprockets, driving the rear wheel etc.)
i know 9-10hp doesnt sound like much, but you will be surprised. Mine will lift the front tire in all 4 gears... and thats with 90kg of me on it... so a light young fella such as yourself, 9-10hp should give you bite marks on the seat where your ass got nervous the first time it comes on the pipe.. ha ha..
If your dad is concerned about the IRK, i've had mine fitted since the bike was built, and have done over 60 hours on the engine, and it's still going strong. I'm a B-grade mxer, and the thing gets a right flogging, and is holding up fine. still starts first kick, still got plenty of compression etc etc. Bad maintenance and a bad rider will kill an engine long before an IRK kit will... Yes, you're dad's right, an IRK will make the engine rev quicker, but that doesnt necessarily mean you as the rider, will redline the motor on every shift, every time you twist the throttle...
if he's still not sold on the idea, starting with an exhaust and a carby will net you noticeable gains in horsepower. A big bore exhaust wont be any quieter than what you have, but it's a much deeper note, and not half as painful as the stock system.. not quite so crackly... and a 24 or 26mm carby is a good start on the lifan 140..
and yep, a set of protapers, ASV levers and a seat is also a good start in making the thing a bit more comfortable to ride, and will save you some cash in bent bars and broken levers next time you get thrown!!

that sounds good but it has a 30mm carby on it and its a mikuni fake??

and im not light young fella not all 185cm and 86kg so yea

what inner rotor kit iv seen one for 15$ nd one for $700

that sounds good but it has a 30mm carby on it and its a mikuni fake??

it's really a 26mm carby with a 30mm throat, and if it's the same as mine it's crap, when I have the $ I'm getting rid of it for a straight 26mm, makes matching the manifold to intake much easier

if these lifans have round 9hp for a 140.
god knows how honda managed 20 out of there 150r.
and same with there 2 bangers. my cr125 does close to 30.
i nuts how they make so much.
although lots more engineering goes into those bike lol

if these lifans have round 9hp for a 140.
god knows how honda managed 20 out of there 150r.
and same with there 2 bangers. my cr125 does close to 30.
i nuts how they make so much.
although lots more engineering goes into those bike lol

yeah engineering pretty much nails it...
keep in mind the lifan, ducar, zongshen all of the brands who make the horizontal motors, regardless of their capacity, are all copies of an engine that hasnt changed since the sixties when it was designed and introduced.. they haven't changed much at all, with the exception of slightly better (???) ancillaries such as carbys, pipes, cams etc. At the end of the day, it's like saying how the old holden v8's even though they were 5litre engines, put out the same amount of power as the 2litre four cylinder motors in your average astra built today... technology goes a long way..
the horizontal motor is basically your combustion engine equivalent of a boat anchor.. whereas the Honda CR150r motor is the combustion engine equivalent of spaceship... the lifan motor is like a spoon with it's edge sharpened on concrete... the 150r motor is like a Mundial cooking knife..... they'll both cut you, but one does it with class, accuracy and perfection, and the sharpened spoon is like being in jail....:D

^^^^hey, what about the flattened cigarette butt?:p

i could liken one of mine to getting a paper cut....youre in the library and its very quiet.....very very quiet:p

wouldn't the vertical stroke have anything to do with massive jump in hp..... na what am i talking about there not a completely differant motor at all and cant be compared to the awsome power and advanced technology coming from china

mate buy a 150 chuck that in it then your starting on an 11hp platform straight away

good luck

Latest posts

Back