what rear shock to buy?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

locko90

Reaction score
hey how ya goin,

I was going to upgrade my rear shock on my crossfire cf 125 pit bike, it has a 300mm shock atm I was wanting to get a shock with rebound and preload adjustment and was looking at the fast ace BS-58AR-270L.
will this be ok for my bike or should I just get a 300mm gpx shock?

would the 30mm difference make a noticeable difference?

A 30mm shorter shock will drop the rear of your bike approximately 60mm-70mm maybe more

that sucks!! I really wanted the fast ace! I wish they had a 300mm version, oh well if its going to make it to low then looks like ill grab the 300mm gpx, I cant find a dnm 300mm.

I read somewhere that having a 1000lb shock is way to hard for a pit bike is that right? I was actually looking for something softer as the shock I have is pretty stiff and bouncy. not sure what rating mine is, i only weigh 70 kg aswell.

If your looking to get the bike to handle properly measure up how long the rear shock should be.
My bike came with a 280mm shock and handled like a pig , after I measured it the bike actually needed a 260mm shock. , now it handles great.
Not all bikes come with the right length rear shock so it's a good thing to double check
This is the easiest way to measure the length rear shock you need

Download a protractor app onto your phone

Get some packers to pack under the wheels when they are needed , a couple of pieces of timber about 150mm long & about 10 to 20mm thick

Stand the bike on a bike stand

Take the rear shock out

Place your phone on the lower part of the fork leg and read how many degrees the fork angle is with the protractor app

You want to be around 26 degrees , I wouldn't go any less than that , so 27 is fine aswell

To get your fork angle to the correct degree place packers under the front wheel & keep checking until you get the fork angle to 26 degrees or 27

Once the fork angle is correct , measure the thickness of packers you placed under the front wheel

Now place the same amount of thickness under the rear wheel

Measure the eye to eye length where the rear shock bolts in

This measurement is how long the rear shock should be

I reckon.

Awesome tip there Jase nice one.

Might have to give you a master spanner spinner for that one mate!! haha ;)

Ah I'm no mechanic , but having a fifty that handles properly is the key to enjoying riding the thing , nothing worse than a bike that stands too tall and doesn't handle , I'll have to take a pic of the difference 20mm made

Last edited:
Yeah man that info is gold! :thumbup:

You should do another little write up on bike n static sag and recommendations on setting up correct rebound and dampening!

Sorry for the thread jacking! ;)

that sucks!! I really wanted the fast ace! I wish they had a 300mm version, oh well if its going to make it to low then looks like ill grab the 300mm gpx, I cant find a dnm 300mm.
Its pretty annoying im loo

Its pretty annoying im looking at getting a good shock for my kayo pit bike and by the way having different lengths definitely makes a difference it doesn't really work but anyways I'm looking for one as well but there is none in 300mm and usually none in the 350mm ones /QUOTE]

Latest posts

Back