what spark plug and oil do i use

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tricky1961

Reaction score
hi guys my son just picked up an elstar with an electric start/kick start motor ive been tol its either a 230cc or 250cc zongshein motor its got ZS167FMM *88100296* Stamped on the eng below the eng sprocket and the Vin is ELSESTL0700B11396 Manufactured 2008 its got a crappy torch spark plug in it and want to change it to an NGK ect but don't know which one to use don't want to put the wrong heat range in it,allso want to change the oil what is the best oil to use in it and do these motors have oil filters n where would it be located thanks tricky

Interesting, all bikes here use D8EA so I went looking for differences between D8EA and DR8EA. Seems to be a huge question mark as to real world different, the R has a resistor on it, something about electrical interference on analog TV and radio?

Since D8EA is so much more common you shouldn't have to fork out for postage, $5 at most places. Use that if you want its fine on everything I have from 110 to 250cc

Use that if you want its fine on everything I have from 110 to 250cc

the D series Spark Plugs won't fit most 4 stroke pitbikes from the 50cc, 70cc, 90cc, 110cc, 125cc 140cc, 150cc, 155cc to the 160cc bikes due to their physical size.
they use C Series plug, C7HSA

a D8EA plug has a 12mm thread so it wont fit into the 10mm head thread
and it has a reach of 19mm compared to the 12.7mm on the C7HSA,
which would make it project 6mm more into the combustion chamber, and could hit on the High Compression Pistons too

but some of the earlier pit bike engines did have the D8EA fitted, like the Ducars, but then they went over to the C7HSA

the resistor in the spark plug also puts a bit extra load on the Spark Plug to help make the CDI fire.
they generally run a non resistor Spark Plug but have the resistor built into the Spark Plug cap
if you look closely at the Plug caps on the end of the lead they have 5K (5000 Ohm) printed on them

so you don't need to run a Resistor Plug if you have a Resisitor Cap
if you do, it will drop the voltage that goes to the coil to fire the spark plug, so smaller spark.
and it can also put extra load onto the CDI unit and cause them to fail early in some cases.

sparkplug_008.jpg

Last edited:
Is it common for the cdi unit to stop working on a 125 pit bike ?

Latest posts

Back