Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoozo

Banned Wanker of the Century
Reaction score
So I thought I would go through some history with you guys cause. My story pretty much is I wasnt allowed to own motorbikes as a kid, now im old and crusty I can. My Grandpa on mums side bought one of these beasts in 1929 (took a year back then for the new models to make it here on a ship)....I remember this was the first bike I ever looked at as a kid up close with grandpa! Then he proceeded to tell me the story about him and his brother riding from Adelaide to Perth later that year....before there was a road there!!!

They dont make em like they used to!!!

BSA-1929-S29-sloper-1.jpg

Now I'm pretty sure not only is there NOT a linkage on that bike...there is NO rear suspension at all...and I bet my Grandpa thrashed the crap out of that bike....hence why it needs a new clutch.... ;) and he showed me the scuff marks on the exhausts from scraping them getting to low in corners!!! Apparently the cops couldnt touch him back then....cars were WAY to slow, and no rear plates...just the axe head on the front mud guard! :thumbup:

Last edited:
XT 125, :) Sold my Haro ALI and my stereo to buy it too! Only a short lived affair as a broken chain carved a nice little slot in front of the the front sprocket where all the oil leaked out, not realising the oil had leaked and after a quick chain fix the bike finally seized and died. :(
Sold it too my neighbour for $100

13 years later go the Dpro!

Peewee 50 FTW!! the best learning bike out there.

got bored with that, got an atomik moto x 125, got bored with that, now have the 250 :)

XT 125, :) Sold my Haro ALI and my stereo to buy it too! Only a short lived affair as a broken chain carved a nice little slot in front of the the front sprocket where all the oil leaked out, not realising the oil had leaked and after a quick chain fix the bike finally seized and died. :(
Sold it too my neighbour for $100

13 years later go the Dpro!

Peewee 50 FTW!! the best learning bike out there.

got bored with that, got an atomik moto x 125, got bored with that, now have the 250 :)

Sold the Haro and the stereo sounds like a good deal Cordogs.

Blender I used to salivate over pw50 ads in motorbike magazines in the newsagency when i was a kid! I think I had dreams about owning one a few times. I got to ride one at a country fair in QLD when I was about 6 at some point(one of those little set ups where you can ride for 2mins for $5) after nagging mum and dad for about 3hrs,never forgot how much fun that was! :thumbup:

Keep em coming, some of the older guys should have has some cool bikes in their families??

My first bike was a home built pee wee, dad pulled an engine out of a mower, built a frame for it and put the rest together, it was an awesome little thing, wonder if I can find some pics somewhere, the first time I rode it, I through the throttle to full, and went straight off the back on my arse. Was funny, but didn't stop me. I remember salivating over the real little pee wee 50s at the bike shop with dad, I was gonna save my pocket money for one, u could buy one back then for about $600..... By the time I had $600 saved up, I was way too big for the 50 and started looking for a 90 :) ended up with some crappy farm bike though.... Good times.

My first bike was a home built pee wee, dad pulled an engine out of a mower, built a frame for it and put the rest together, it was an awesome little thing, wonder if I can find some pics somewhere, the first time I rode it, I through the throttle to full, and went straight off the back on my arse. Was funny, but didn't stop me. I remember salivating over the real little pee wee 50s at the bike shop with dad, I was gonna save my pocket money for one, u could buy one back then for about $600..... By the time I had $600 saved up, I was way too big for the 50 and started looking for a 90 :) ended up with some crappy farm bike though.... Good times.

That is seriously awesome a homemade 50!!! Keep the stories about first bikes in the family coming!!!

:thumbup:

i grew up riding mtbs, wasnt allowed a motorbike.(had a wicked specialized hard rock growin up) first time i rode a motorbike, i was 14 i think, and my foster uncle bought his big ktm (from memory it was a 620, freaking huge anyways). i loved it for the first ten minutes, got ****y wrapped the throttle on and put his nice big ktm straight into the dam. got my ass kicked and didnt get the chance to ride again till i left home at 16, and been dabbling in pittys ever since.

i grew up riding mtbs, wasnt allowed a motorbike.(had a wicked specialized hard rock growin up) first time i rode a motorbike, i was 14 i think, and my foster uncle bought his big ktm (from memory it was a 620, freaking huge anyways). i loved it for the first ten minutes, got ****y wrapped the throttle on and put his nice big ktm straight into the dam. got my ass kicked and didnt get the chance to ride again till i left home at 16, and been dabbling in pittys ever since.

I used to race on specialized FSR's...funny! Good bikes, they put up with a lot of punishment from me!! Glad they got their linkage figured out after the first year, the first one I had I used to go through linkage bolts every couple of weeks. OEM part was like $40 too, so I figured out I could goto a bolt shop and got them to match it in hardened steel, only cost $6 a piece and lasted better than the OEM parts did anyway...Buy 3 at a time, they never snapped but used to bend like crazy. Would have been handy to have known Craig back then!

mine was a hard tail, i loved it. didnt get into full on dh, but i freakin hammered that bike and it was never phased by anything i could throw at it :) miss it a lot actually but havnt been able to find one second hand so il just keep on missin my poor girl lol

Same as me.

Started off riding a mate home made mini bike. Good old brigg's and stratton engine which had a chansaw cyntrifical clutch in it. Was awesome fun.

Untill...

I crashed it hard straight into the side of a caravan and split the forks in half!! lol

Much like this:

wall+face+plant.jpg

Then was onto a PW70. First time using gears. Ended up going straight through a single wire electric fence pinned in 3rd. Had massive cut marks on my arm and was luck to not lose my head. Flipped me in the air and woke up beside some concrete on the ground. Damn lucky I missed that.

Then it was onto good old xt250's. Heavy old things that would just go forever. Had some great fun riding on them with no head lights under a full moon.

Think I have gone a bit off track but that's my story.

20 years on I still suck at riding but have just as much fun as I did back then. :)

i started off on an old Deltek Grand Prix, my old man picked it up for $100 off a family friend, it had a JAP engine in it.
i rode that around the back yard when i was about 7 years old.
we took it up to the farm a few times, and a friends property to ride, was lots of fun.

$_35.JPG

then we bought another Deltek Rock Hopper with rear suspension, and a Briggs and Stratton 3.5hp engine.
when my brother was old enough to ride.
we used to ride them at the farm, and at a friends property 4 hours away.

da3c_1_356x299.jpg

my next bike was around a 1973 MX175 Yamaha , i was 11 when we got it, which we had for a few years.
it was so rough, and had been bashed/crashed many times at the closed down Lynton dump in adelaide
it was always having a problem with the clutch push rod bending, i'd have to pull it out and find a couple of big rocks and try and bash it straight again the refit it so we could keep riding.
my clearest memory of it was when i tried riding through a mushy patch at the bottom of a hill on the farm.
i got half way through and stalled, it sank into the mush up to the tank, i got off and we had to tow it out with our car.
then i had to go back into the mud and try and find my rubber boot which had come off as i got off the bike.

2008%5C07%5C06%5Cbikepics-1345049-320.jpg

after a couple of years we sold it and bought a Suzuki TF185 AG bike
that was so heavy for me back then i was about 13, big racks front and back, and a big fat tank that you could apparently balance a sheep across.

1978_TF185_red_Aus_500.jpg

none of the above pictures of the bikes were ours, just pics off the net.
i think my parents have one of me on the Deltek, i'll see if they can find it for me.

Those delteks look sweet!!! Spewing I missed out on Lynton dump, the MTB crew got that much spent on them! I actually went to the council meeting the whole council chambers was absolutely packed out. Thats what its going to take....we're a while off.

Gives me some good inspiration seeing all this stuff guys!! Loving the stories!!

Motorman I dislodged a stump with my forearm at one point crashing my DH bike when I was 15....one of the times I didnt 'miss the concrete'!!

timeeh...thats all the protection you needed in the 80s, you had everything! From helmet to 'work boots'....even a dog to run home and tell your parents if anything bad happened :thumbup:

LOL

Mummy mummy timmy crashed his bike and fell down the well

woof woof

I had a Deltek rockhopper aswell, mine was metallic green, no rear suspension and had a victa in it! That thing just kept going!

A ol indian my grandfather had, Wish he kept it i would restore the **** out of it..
He rode it with newspaper for protection and it was never registered :p

daytona 100.. best bike i ever had and i want another if i can find it looks like a mx80

ok found some old pics....

here is me on my uncles' 1972? Honda Z50, was only used to go down the driveway and back up to check the mail rarely, he'd stop his car and get out most of the time.
his house was on the side of a hill behind Pinera train station, was a very steep driveway.
the Z only had a couple of hundred kms on it between buying it brand new, and 2013. he only sold it last year, for $100 mind you !!!

and a couple of our first Minibike

then we upgraded to the Delteks, we got he red one first,
we did an engine swap from the old JAP to a Briggs and Stratton
then scored the Orange Deltek Deluxe not long after.
looks like i had a growth spurt that year, in the guts !!! lol

and also a couple of pics of me on the Suzuki 1976 AG TF185, like my helmet?
i delivered pamphlets on my bike to peoples letter boxes for 2 weeks straight, up and down the hill's in Glenalta and Hawthorndene
just to get the money to buy that, was an open face but come with a bolt on full face too, i only just chucked that helmet late last year, it cost me $53 back in the day.
the first pic was taken when i was 14, my brother was 8
in the second i was 16 years old,

i found one of me on the old 1972/3 MX175 Yamaha too, but some how missed copying it.

for me... well... i was 11... i had a lawn mowing business going... saved up a whole 350 bucks i thourght i had one the tattslotto lol... it was a china!... and i couldn't beg anymore.. until i hit that bid button... next thing i know i was getting buckled up in the car ready to go pick up my new bike!!..
well.. what was it? may you ask.. well... it was tdr pro 125..well would you belive...nothing broke on that little cheap china.. nothing... so i was telling all my friends i got a bike.. one of my friends was racing mx... so he invited me over to his property... well... what would you know.. he had a channel right next to a small set of jumps..... what do i do?... i jump the bike and go flying into the channel.. still firmly grasping the bike whilst we go for a swim!.... thats right me my brand new bike was finished... i thought the bike was stuffed... throwing my helmet on the ground in disgust!... my mates dad.. jumped in the lowish channel.. pulled the bike out... and says " was he (my mate) goin to quick for ya?" i laughed... then he goes "ya reckon its f*#ked?"... he kicks it over... the bike starts in a burbling spatter.. whilst pinging off the limiter... my mates dad hits the kill switch and we walk it to the shed... he starts to work on the poor bike.. grabs some htb.. slaps it on the throttle mech.. gives it a kick and fires up.. passing the bike to me he says... "dont crash it in the big channel will ya?"... i laugh!... me and my mate just putted around for the rest of the day.....
so guys... thats the story of my first bike in my family...
cheers loco

Latest posts

Back