Wheel bearings have spun in hub and chewed it out

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rizzo97

Reaction score
Bearings! Need help

One of the bearings in my back wheel keeps comin loose. I have tried using a centerpunch to make it grip the bearing but it dosnt last very long.. Tried again with and put some black silicone on it inside we're the centerpunch holes are haven't tried that yet but il be taking it for a spin soon. Any ideas on how to get them in there tight?

Sounds like it could be the wrong bearing in the wheel.

Shouldn't come loose.

I would replace it. They are pretty cheap.

they cant come loose though? there should be a spacer between the bearing and swingarm
once the axle nut is done up tight, there is no chance of it coming out the hub

post some pics

It's the original bearing from when I bought it so it shouldn't be wrong.. But they could have f'ed up I wouldn't know. I know that it can't come out of the hub when it's on the bike. The bike took a thrashing befor this happened though so I'm not to surprises its loose. if I had the money I'd just buy a new hub, and if it was the wrong size bearing the right one would need to be like half a mill bigger in circumference

some one may have ridden it with a seized bearing, that can chew out the hubs

Yea I would have haha like I said I thrashed it, but is there a way to get them good and tight again without a new hub?

not really
you could try Loctite 680, bearing mount
but it might not help if the bearing has a bit of play in the hub

You can try shimming, I had to shim a set of bearings by 1mm, tried using loctite, silicone, etc but nothing held, so tried some $2 super glue, and presto, it held. I'd try cutting some coke cans , and using that. Even if you have to use a few, bearings have to be a pretty firm fit.

What do I do with the come cans ? Like cut a strip and putt it i between the hub and bearing?

So it is loose again and I've pulled the wheel off and it just fallout again, how exactly dose this coke can idea work and Iv got some pretty good super glue witch will last longer?

i have never done it before, it's a pretty dodgy backyard type of fix.

but i'm guessing,
cut a strip from the coke can to fit around the bearing, then find a socket that is the same or a touch smaller than the bearings' O/D
smear some Loctite or whatever around the bearings' seat in the hub, and use a hammer and socket to gently tap the bearing into the hub while holding the aluminium strip around it.
it may take a couple of goes to do it.
you might even need to fit the strip into the hub first?
or possibly fit half of the strip in, and make sure it goes in as you tap the bearing in.

Blender might be able to add to what i wrote, he sounds like he may have done it before ???? :cheeky-smiley-031:

^^Haha, yea you've got it ;) Like my67xr said, it is a pretty dodgy backeard fix, I only did it while I was waiting on a wheel from a mates spares bike. It wont be a permanent fix, you will end up having to replace the wheel eventually, the bearing, having play in the hub will slowly chew it out more and more over time.

Well I just ended up using the tin and it worked but duno how long it will last..was gona use glue as well but couldn't get it out after testing the tin so I left it

Title says it, Bearing spins inside the hub on my back wheel, feels wishy washy on a straight because the bearing is all loose, I have been cutting a price of tin (red bull can v can whatever ) and chucking that in there to keep it sol but it only lasts a few rides (goin hard on rough terrain ) last longer if I taker easy.. But it's there anything I can do to get this bearing soil in the hub and not have it come loose again.. Any ideas?

You sure its got the right sized bearings? Didnt try to change a 12mm axled hub to 15mm bearings? I think you need a new hub anyways, not the first post about sloppy wheel bearings you have made..

Yeah I know, it's the same bearing on the same hub as the previous thread about it.. Nah it's how it came unfortunately

yeah I think your hub is goosed, get a new one before riding again, it is what your bike is riding on after all.

And please read through your posts before posting as it is a little hard to understand sometimes.

Latest posts

Back