Wheel bearings have spun in hub and chewed it out

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only other thing to add to this if you really don't want a new hub you could strip the spokes, take it to a local machine shop and see how much it would cost to bore it out to the next biggest size then just insert a bigger bearing. Or if you have a metal lathe you could try and do it yourself... Not sure how much meat is in the hubs but I would guess it would accommodate an extra 0.5mm around the edge...

Yea an easy 0.5mm, I rekin it's chewed at least 0.5 of the hub already.. Same effort as putting a knew hub in anyway almost.. Would it cost less to do that?

Thanks for the idea ay, would a bigger bearing probably fit already if it's chewed that much?

I had a look at my wheel and it looks like there's about 5mm of meat around the sides, it should handle 0.5 or even 1mm being taken out no problems, only thing is whilst this would work as a perm fix the bearings would then be more expensive as they wouldn't be a standard size...
You could look at getting the shop to TIG weld the inner then rebore to the standard size but this would probably run at least $50 which is getting up to the cost of a new wheel. Id go in and ask how much it is then decide if you want to do that or just buy a new one.
Of course if you have your own TIG and lathe should be no problem.

just find a cheap second hand wheel, i have picked up a of decent wheels for $10 - $20 each.
or even if you can find a secondhand hub and swap it over yourself, if you can

Latest posts

Back