Wheel Trueing

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motorman

Admin "The Cougar"
Reaction score
I need to find somewhere in Melb that still does wheel truing for my big bike.

I replaced the wheel bearings on the weekend but it looks like it was the spokes that caused them to go in the first place (were pretty loose around the hub).

Nearly every spoke is loose and no matter how much I try I can't get them all tight.

So it's time for some new spokes and to get the wheel trued properly.

Anyone know of any good places in Melb? If not in Aus? Thanks.

try a good push bike shop ive heard of bmx boys lacing hubs then truuing rims in under an hour...

I have found with the older honda spokes, you need to hold them with multi grips as the spoke spins in the hub and doesn't actually tighten them.

Have you tried that?

try a good push bike shop ive heard of bmx boys lacing hubs then truuing rims in under an hour...

Know of any BMX shops in Melb then?

I have found with the older honda spokes, you need to hold them with multi grips as the spoke spins in the hub and doesn't actually tighten them.

Have you tried that?

Nah I haven't tried that. I tried tightening back and forth across the wheel and by the time I had done them and got back to the start, half of them were loose again. lol

I will give that a crack but I have a feeling they are too far gone for that.

Try the bike shops out in Ringwood... Last time I had a wheel trued it was done out there.

Can't remember which one, but stick your head in at each workshop and ask ;)

Try the bike shops out in Ringwood... Last time I had a wheel trued it was done out there.

Can't remember which one, but stick your head in at each workshop and ask ;)

Been there done tha although I didn't try Scotty'ss Dirt Bike Spares.

No one has the equipment anymore. They all said they have to send it away and charge as well ontop.

I'm trying to find where they are sending them too!!

Starting to think it might be easier just to get new wheels. Damn expensive though.

Been there done tha although I didn't try Scotty'ss Dirt Bike Spares.

No one has the equipment anymore. They all said they have to send it away and charge as well ontop.

I'm trying to find where they are sending them too!!

Starting to think it might be easier just to get new wheels. Damn expensive though.

True them yourself... With new spokes it's not too hard a job ;)

There's plenty of guides on building a rig kicking around, youtube is a good place to start and you can always knock up a proper rig if that method doesn't work for you...

you should be able to do it on the bike. back in my bmx days we would tape a screwdriver to the bottom bracket stay and you could watch the gap between the screwy and the rim. just google a guide for truing rims.

tape the screwy to your swingarm.

this works providing your axel is not bent, otherwise you will never get it.

Any BIG big bike dearler/workshop should be able to do it mate if not i know Freestyle Honda in frankston do.Cost me $50 to do new sm pro's 14/12 after loosely lacing myself and they done a perfect job

You could try Zoran at Westside Motorcycles - Ph: (03) 9364 2201, I think he still does it onsite. He’s just off the ringroad in north Sunshine if that’s not too far for ya. Don’t let the suburb scare ya off from venturing down this way coz its actually closer to the “nicer” part of St Albans than it is to the bad part of Sunshine :laughing-smiley-002

what i find is the threads are siezed \rusted they will not tighten any more
if they can be undone , cleaned and lubed and still wont tighten
you can put a washer between the nipple and rim
this will allow the nipple to tighten up
it all depends on how many tight nipples you have
and your patience

what i find is the threads are siezed \rusted they will not tighten any more
if they can be undone , cleaned and lubed and still wont tighten
you can put a washer between the nipple and rim
this will allow the nipple to tighten up
it all depends on how many tight nipples you have
and your patience

some times that problem is due to the spoke being stretched to much. if this is the case then it should be replaced as they are due to snap

some times that problem is due to the spoke being stretched to much. if this is the case then it should be replaced as they are due to snap

interesting sean how do you measure spoke stretch ???
what tolerence do you allow?
does the tolerance change with different lenght spokes?
do you take into account worn hubs or rims ?

like some else said it will be easy with a new set
just measure the offset before dismantling

Latest posts

Back