when buying a used bike!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roostyamates

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone can give me some tips when it comes to buying a used bike ? Im on my way to look at a atomik nitrous 160

The search function is pretty good too.

But check the chain, sprockets for bent or missing teeth.
Ask the guy ya getting it off when he last changed the oil. Then check the oil to see if he is lying or not.

Check the tyres to see if it has been ridden on the road at all. There will be a lot of small chunks taken out if it has been.

And last but not least check the motors comp and the air filter has been oiled properly

Bent handlebars and gear shifters can be a sign that it's been thrashed.
Sometimes needing the shift shaft to be replaced, using the gear shift with the bike running, you should be able to easily select all gears.
Looking at the chrome fork stanchions/legs after giving the front end a few bounces might show a ring of oil if the fork seals are leaking.
Bounce the rear end and note how quick the shock rebounds back up, could tell you if the shock needs replacing, if it's very bouncy etc
Wobble the wheels side to side, listening for clunks etc, to check wheel bearings
Check the brakes work fine.

Just wondering if anyone can give me some tips when it comes to buying a used bike ? Im on my way to look at a atomik nitrous 160

Look out for rounded nuts and bolts. Cant stand dudes who don't own decent tools.
Make sure there is evidence of lubricated parts . lt establishes that a bit a care has been put in.
Some dudes ask top coin for there bikes and there not even serviceable on the fly . Cant adjust messy looking nuts and bolts out on the paddock.

Latest posts

Back