which is the better engine?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zc2000

Reaction score
Hi team,
hoping that you will all point me in the right direction to assist in making the right desicion.

So here is the question which is the best of these engines and why?

Lifan 140cc or the XY 140

Lifan 150cc or the XY 150

I look forward to all the responses.

Cheers zc

YX140 over lifan 140 for reliability.... the kickstart gears in the YX are much tougher and less gearbox issues.... also ALOT more cheap power mods available for the yX140

Lifan 150 over YX150 for reliability, lifan 150 has an adjustable ORK and everyone who's had one has loved it... the YX has more mods available etc

yup! agreed! if your going to spend lots of money on the engine (after market head, big bore etc)
then get the yx but if you want a good engine get the lifan!

p.s there are 2 different lifan 150! i forget the code but the one that looks similar to the 150 daytona is the go! they come in ciniworx, pitpro and a few other bikes!

looking for reliability not fussed if its a 150 or 140
so at this stage the xy 140 is better and the 150 lifan

question does the lifan head fit the xy motor? i hear that the one is cast iron and to other alloy

lifan 150 and yx140 run alloy cylinder and alloy head, the heads should be interchangeable but may have a different combustion chamber size.

however lifan 140 run a cast iron cylinder

ie.. you would run a yx140 head on a lifan 150 but not the other way round..this would/should increase compression.
but taking that into account, the yx140 cam has a smaller profile. so its all about doing you homework on all the bits first rather than rushing out and doing the change over..

remember you can only have 2 of the 3

CHEAP FAST AND RELIABLE

the engine that has a bit of all them probly would be the lifan 150 its a great engine i had one they go good when you add a oko flatty, i hadnt changed the piston after a year of use including 3 races and some hard riding

i have a 26mm oko flat ready to go.. so you think the 150 lifan pitbikekid..

What do you think of that engine i found on Ebay?

yea it's a good motor, just a yx140 with a cam, but it's good value for $ the cam probly worth $80.
should have a fair bit more grunt than a stock one....

If I were u I'd go the lifan 150 tho

Ok DVD i will have a look at the 150 lifan... thanks mate

lifan 150 and yx140 run alloy cylinder and alloy head, the heads should be interchangeable but may have a different combustion chamber size.

however lifan 140 run a cast iron cylinder

ie.. you would run a yx140 head on a lifan 150 but not the other way round..this would/should increase compression.
but taking that into account, the yx140 cam has a smaller profile. so its all about doing you homework on all the bits first rather than rushing out and doing the change over..

YX140's have an idiot compression lowering ring machined into the chamber ... they were always specified as having 9 to 1 compression but now sellers are BS'ing the figures ... The pics in this ebay listing prove they do run lower comp ... that's why they don't break kicker gears as easy as LF140's ... and the other factor is that they're running a cylinder that's designed for a vertical engine ... the lower fins are shrouded from the direction of the airflow ... Horizontal finned cylinders are properly engineered for horizontal cylinders ... just take a look at an air cooled Ducati race engine ...

GENUINE YX 140 CC ENGINE HEAD ASSEMBLY - eBay Other Makes, Bike Parts, Motorcycle Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 10-Mar-10 00:32:32 AEDST)

Lifan 140's (which are spec'd as having 10 to 1 comp) have a bigger squish band than the LF120/125 heads ... I stated that before and someone queried me ... but at the time I had no comparison pics as proof ...

Lifan 140 head :

GENUINE LIFAN 140 CC ENGINE HEAD ASSEMBLY - eBay Other Makes, Bike Parts, Motorcycle Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 10-Mar-10 00:21:44 AEDST)

Lifan 150 head chamber looks very similar to the Lifan 140 head chamber ...

GENUINE LIFAN 150 CC ENGINE HEAD ASSEMBLY - eBay Other Makes, Bike Parts, Motorcycle Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 10-Mar-10 00:26:31 AEDST)

LF 120/125 head has the smallest squish band so should give the highest compression on a 140/150 :

GENUINE LIFAN 125 CC ENGINE HEAD ASSEMBLY - eBay Other Makes, Bike Parts, Motorcycle Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 10-Mar-10 00:18:37 AEDST)

Nice Ducati ...

Cactus what do you think is the better engine ... i know it all comes down to taste like ford or holden

lifan 140/ yx 140
lifan 150/ yx150

Spend the extra and buy a Lifan 150 ... a lot of factors on that engine are soundly designed ...

Or ... email Ducati , Honda etc and ask them why they don't run a vertical cylinder on their horizontal motors ... and ask Honda why they run an iron cylinder on their CRF50/70 CT110 etc engines which run super reliably in harsh conditions without over-heating ...

Last edited:
thanks Cactus
all involved...

looks like the lifan 150 has it..

i cant comment on the yx140s as i dont know anything about them but can reassure you with a lifan 150

i see what Cactus is saying about the air fins ... that the yx air fins are not going with the air flow of the engine... and the 150 does...

does any body know if the stators on the LF150 have the 5 wires that being for lights?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back