Which motor? YX 150 or Lifan 150?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumpstar Pro

Reaction score
Hi guys,

This is the vid that makes me go I WANT ONE. It spools up like my freakin 450!

YouTube - Yx187 helmet cam

Ive done a search everywhere on this forum and cannot find much info on these engines. I'm looking to spend no more than $800 on a new donk.
Which engine puts out the most power? Which engine is going to give the least hassle come repair time? I've heard some bad things about the YX's detonating within 2 hours! The engine is going in my 06 Thumpstar Pro and i want it to last yet still have plenty of grunt without having to worry about the gearbox muching among other things ive heard.

Please give me all your opinions and views and also if you know of any, an australian company that sells these engines.

Thanks in advance

In a nutshell:
Lifan 150 = Awesome stock motor but not many mods around
YX150 = Average Stock motor but lots of mods available

With a price range of 800 bucks i probably would just go with the Lifan coz even if you got the YX you wouldn't be able to get many good mods for the remaining money you had left after buying. The lifan is reliable and is relatively trouble free as far as i know. There are problems with the YX motors apparantly although the 150 is far more reliable than the 160. But if you're looking for something to last and be reliable deifinately go the lifan.

Asome thats the stuff i need. Do the engines look the same? I love the look of the offset cam gear cover on the yx's. Do you know where you can buy these engines? Also ive seen the Dirtmax 150cc for like $599. Are they any good or just another yx 150? Value for money?

THAT MOTOR YOUR LOOKING AT THERE IS ABOUT $1000.00 WORTH OF TOP END on $500 worth of g/box which one will win

i reckon it's like putting a 4k stereo in a datsun 180b

the yx150 or 160 are pretty ok but g/box issue's because of the power there a fix for the bearing on the kick start drum bit (was speeking to casey at pitster he has a fix kit but still means full case split.

i'm pretty happy with my lifan it pull's pretty hard but i rebuilt the g/box done the lugs on second but thats easy fix and i ride every weekend and real hard

THAT MOTOR YOUR LOOKING AT THERE IS ABOUT $1000.00 WORTH OF TOP END on $500 worth of g/box which one will win

i reckon it's like putting a 4k stereo in a datsun 180b

That's it in a nutshell :cool:

But it's not just the 187 .... we been stuck on gearbox issues for a couple of years now ... sure most of us have dealt one way or another but it's been expensive to us in time and money and nothing seems to be getting done . And who's coming up with the solutions ??? WE ARE ...and that sux ...we are not selling thousands of em we are just RIDING em ...FFS :rolleyes:

How much money would it cost to send a couple of crew over to oversee the build of a better box ?? ..... I dunno but I'd bet my left nut it'd be a fraction of what WE'VE spent repairing them .... or a porshe :mad:

Boxy told us this would happen years ago and time has shown him to be right ... until they fix the boxes we are not going forward ...I'd love to roll a 187 ... but they won't last without a better box in my opinion .

Last edited:
Far out that thing is intense as all hell. I want one for sure!!!

Might have to fork out some coin when my attention goes back to me midsize.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies! So a no brainer, the lifan wins by far? Do the lifan compare to the output of a yx 150 though?

Latest posts

Back