Will riding without brake pads damage anything?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rizzo97

Reaction score
Pretty keen on goin for a strap, but I am waiting on my local bike shop to get some more brake pads in and they have the originals, would just take the brakes (rear) off but it's partof the spacers and I would need a longer spacer for the rotor side which I don't have, so will I damage the rotor or anything if I ride without the pads with the caliper still on there ?

As long as you don't accidental tap the back brakes and cause the pistons to rub on the disc you will be fine.

Wouldn't recommend it though IMO. You can get in a hairy situation and force of habit will be to go for brakes. Be a much more expensive repair if you have to replace callipers.

Won't be goin to hard on it because I know I need back brakes to rip into corners when it's dry, probably just go for a putt.. and have got really good front brakes. What will it do to the caliper if I to use them acidentaly though?

Do it, but remove the rear break lever.. too easy..
Be sure to push the pistons back in the pad..

Caliper came off and went under my wheel lol but it's okay.. I. Did loose the thin metal thing that sits in there though :/ And a rubber for where it slides on, doi need new caliper? Can't find those bits i lost on ebay.. Or will it be ok with just a new ruber thing? What dose the metal tab thing do?

haha, no one thought about that happening !

was it a thin stainless steel part ?
if it is, it helps to stop the disc pads from rattling around
there are a couple of types of rubber's used on the slides, they stop the slide from getting wet, and dirty
if either of those things happen the caliper won't slide too well, and can drag the disc pads on the disc, causing disc warpage or wear out your pads quickly.
one style of rubber centralises the caliper on the slide so it wont rattle around and wear through the alloy caliper

i would just buy a new caliper and mounting bracket, they come with new disc pads 99% of the time and cost about $25-$50 depending on what type they are

Last edited:
Yeah luckily my bro yelled out nd stoped me before I did some damage.. Yea that's the piece, I foundit up the driveway :) but not the rubber.. Cani make a new rubber thing for it? Might be the same sorta thing on some old front brakes I have layin around. Il have a look

it might work, we don't really know what calipersyou have because there haven't been any pics yet

Latest posts

Back