won't start..

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

green_optimus

Reaction score
Hey guys new to the forum.

Bought my son a new little tao tao 110 atv to learn on before he was big enough to move up to my daughters LT80.

Yesterday he found himself a Water hole and got himself stuck.. quad was running fine even after I got him out and in the process of getting myself out he shut it off as I told him to..

Well as we went to head home it wouldn't start.. the starter spins but it doesn't crank the motor over... I pulled the magneto cover off to see if the starter was spinning and it is.. it's spinning the Chain and sprocket on the shaft but not the motor..

Didn't think water up to the motor would cause this issue.. if had it run like crap after washing it and connectors needed to dry out etc etc..

Yea I can turn the flywheel by hands till compression builds up.. the starter is spinning fast but not engaging..

okay.. from memory alone.. you will need to replace the one way bearing on the crank so the starters drive actually turns the crank..
not 100% where you can get one will look around..
If you want to ride today you could probably start it with a drill on the flywheel nut

Yea I thought about that but I'm just baffled that it won't start after that.. maybe just a coincidence I guess.. only been running this things since April

its interesting, maybe when you hydrolocked it and then tried to start it it put too much load on the one way bearing?
You will need a flywheel puller to get it off (pretty sure need a photo) made specifically for pitbikes..
Pull that off and then it should be pretty straight forward :) you seem to be happy enough ripping into it already

you seem to be happy enough ripping into it already

Believe me I'm not happy.. had plans to ride with him to day.. and all day so far iv had a 3 year old begging to go ride..

The bike was running when stuck in the water and was still running when I got it out.. he then rode around while I was getting my bike out but he stopped riding and I didn't want,it to overheat so I had him shut it off.. got mine out and went to fire it up and,nothing..

I have a parts 110 at the house but the starter is on the bottom.. not sure if it would have the same kind of set up..

Thanks with the real time feed back.. I'll look into a puller.. the mud was a Sandy mud mix but was mostly in water and more or less floating because of the tires.. I'll spray some cleaner back there to see if it helps.. if not my 3 year old will have to wait

you might be able to make a thin wire with a right angled end on it and try and hook it in the back of the flywheel, see if you can loosen the rollers?
even try spraying some wd40 etc in there, but you'll need to use the long polastic tube so you can angle it around to spray the rollers

could also try putting a screwdriver down in behind the flywheel, and tapping it with a hammer on the steel cage for the rollers, they may just be stuck/sticky ?

have you checked that the starter motor chain hasn't just jumped off the gear on the crankshaft behind the flywheel ?

Gotta be the rollers that I can't see.. the chain spins the sprocket like a champ.. just not catching where it needs to catch.

Was gonna buy that puller but it's in Australia and doesn't ship to my state..

What are the specs I need for a puller.. is it a 1.0 or 1.5 and is it RH thread?

Flywheel Puller - CRF50
Terry has one.. i also recommend buying a clutch nut tool for later on.. not necessary
Be carefull when you install the L/H thread into the flywheel its very easy to cross thread..

Last edited by a moderator:
the electric starts' flywheel's look's like this when fitted, the stator plate/coil bolt to the inside of the ignition cover
so it's easy to change a stator on an electric start, there's no need to the the flywheel off.

the electric start flywheel has a male thread on it 28mm x 1mm iirc ?

images

52-070714085647.JPG

the one way rollers on the back of the flywheel (engine side) are here-

7-070714085647.JPG

Yes that's what my flywheel looks like.. I'm not at home right now to look at it but I'm assuming it's reverse thread.. I was shown a puller on eBay but won't ship overseas to the states.. I just wanna make sure I get the right puller..

Now inside the flywheel is where it catches on the starter sprocket to start the motor?

You guys are awesome here!!!!

Would it be a 1.0 or a 1.5?

Last edited:
Well I know it's been a short bit but iv been a little busy with work this week.. for a few days I would spray some carb cleaner down behind the flywheel.. yesterday I had a lil time to tinker on it and went to start it and nothing changed.. so I attached it with a rubber mallet and it broke what ever was stuck in there loose and it fired right up!!

I spent more time fighting a 3 year old from climbing on it while I was trying to put it back together! !!

that's good news to hear you got it going again.
there isn't that much that can go wrong with them

Latest posts

Back