Yamaha 1981 LB50 PH Chappy resurrection

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check page 1 here for some service data -
Yamaha Lb50pj Chappy 1980-1982 * Service Data Pg. 1 * - schematic partsfiche

Was there any pitting on your point's ?
If there was it may have a faulty Condenser, it might be letting too much power through to the point's.
Get your multimeter out set it to 200 Ohm's, and check the reading across the condenser, it should read .25UF

The ignition coil should be 1 Ohm between the power in terminal and the coils' earth point (meter set to 200 Ohms)
And to test the secondary side of the ignition coi, you need to unscrew your spark plug cap off at the end of the lead, inside the end of the lead you'll see the copper cover, put theone probe to there and the other to the power terminal of the coil, it should read 5.9K Ohms (meter set to 20,000 (20k) Ohm's

Test your spark plug cap too while it's off, meter set to 20,000 (20k) Ohm's, it should read 5K Ohms

Hi 67, there was no pitting on the points, but there was a small hole in the center of the contact area, I think its supposed 2 be there tho, I already put the cover back on, I don't think those readings on the coil would affect jus hi gear & not low gear when they both rev the same? I jus think its a hi speed/hi load miss that cuts out 4 a split second & allows the engine 2 slow jus enuf 2 make it bang back in2 gear w/a jolt when the spark hits again. but wouldn't it run like **** all the time if the condenser & plug cap were bad? thanks again 67,-------twosmoke

Well Gang, finally got that engine jolt in hi gear all figured out & fixed. It turned out 2 be the shifter, it wasn't keepin the shifter rod fully engaged in hi gear, allowing the trans 2 slip in & outta gear @ hi speed, so I took it apart @ bent the detent plate & put a washer under it 2 keep the rod all the way in2 the trans in 2nd gear. no ignition miss or misfire as I 1st thought. that # 80 main jet I have in it now doesn't seem like it allows the engine 2 rev as fast as the #75 did & it turns the plug black 2, so I take it its makin it run 2 rich, so back in goes the 75, & I also got sum 12V headlite bulbs on the way 2 solve the bulb blowin problem. Now I got a flat rear tire... I tightened a few loose spokes & maybe the end of 1 of em punched a hole in the tube, but we all know what a ***** it is 2 take a motorcycle tire off ! so I aint touchin it it till the temp & humidity goes down, its been steamy up here I Beantown 4 a few days now!-------twosmoke

Hey gang, been such a loooong, looong time since i've been on here, well over a yr & a half, should be callin this twosmoke's resurrection, hahahaha. well alot has happened during my long vacation frm miniriders, been thru a couple of jobs, been outta work 4 awile, cashflow almost came 2 a screechin halt, then the laptop got the blue screen of death, so i got it fixed, then the kybd went, so I thought, got a new 1, that did'nt work, so a c-note later, said screw it & got another laptop, this 1 I can see! Well, the scoot has been chained 2 a tree under a tarp in my back yard all winter cuz I did'nt get a chance 2 put it down the cellar in the fall, but she don't look ne worse 4 wear! Cant't wait 2 take it out when it gets a lil warmer. but i did manage 2 put a new v-force reed block in it, seems 2 make a lil diff in throttle response, so i'm thinkin bout puttin a bigger sprocket up front 4 a lil more top end, whatcha all think? well, that's bout it so far, what's up w/u guys? nething good? -------twosmoke

Ay! I just wanna wish you good luck with your Chappy journey.

My father bought me one when I was a kid and I just recently found it out back under a bunch or tarps. Been out there for about 10 years now. I hope to secretly steal it away and restore it and give it back to him for his birthday!

Cheers!!

(I'm sure you'll be seeing me more on here with questions!) [emoji1360][emoji1360]

Hi booziebrooks & welcome 2 miniriders! theres a boatload of moped/scooter/pitbike geniuses on here (me not bein 1 of em) hahaha. yeah, it was quite a journey all rite! the chappy has a surprising following & the 1 2 ask all ur questions, is my67xr, he held my hand frm start 2 finish w/gr8 results, cuz an expert I aint, hahaha, NOW, if it was a small block chevy, you'd b askin me!, hahaha. dont know if ya read my whole story, but if ya did, try 2 learn frm my many mistakes, but as usual, 67 was there 2 catch me when i fell! (& I tumbled alot) hahaha, BUT, feel free 2 ask me nething, & I'll try 2 help ya & so would nebody else on here, they're a gr8 gang! that restoration sounds like an awesome idea 4 pops! keep us all posted on ur progress, ok? oh, BTW, where ya from? -------twosmoke

Hi booziebrooks & welcome 2 miniriders!

they're a gr8 gang! that restoration sounds like an awesome idea 4 pops! keep us all posted on ur progress, ok? oh, BTW, where ya from? -------twosmoke

Hey thanks!! I'm from Oregon BTW!
Salem for the moment but the bike is in Eugene.

I sure hope I can steal it away soon!

Do you recommend anywhere (besides eBay) for replacement parts?

I was able to start it up but man was it rough!! Definitely needs that part between the carburetor and the air box!

I will most likely create a original post with all my questions and lots of pictures!

Hi BB, yeah, its a good idea 2 create an original post w/questions & pix, that way, i'm sure my67xr will pitch in, he's the chappy master & will make sure that resto comes out PERFECT! yeah, 4get ebay. they can help ya, but it'll cost ya. I got alotta parts frm boats.net, got sum chappy parts, but they don't have 2 many. but there's a guy out in iowa that has a bike salvage yard w/3 chappys in it, I got a few frm him, its called KM vintage cycles, he does'nt have a website, but he's got a phone #, i'm not sure if i can post it or not, but if I can, I will. I would take that carb off, take it completely apart & clean/douche every part then drain the gas & oil in the tank & clean them 2, put in sum new gas & oil. get a new plug & check the air filter in the airbox(i'm sure it disintegrated like mine) ya mite wanna change the engine oil 2! mine was runnin like crap when I 1st got it ( it was also sitting 4 a long time) but it fired after bout 3 dozen kicks! it didnt wanna get outta it's own way, shifted in2 2nd gear but did'nt accelerate much. Upon further insp, found out that the idiot who owned it b4 me, put the piston in bkwds! ain't that sum ****? I laughed when i saw that! a perfect reason 4 bein a slug! thats where the chappy journey began! from there, it became a $pit, prob put a grand in2 it, but it now does a blistering, blurry 42 mph, hahaha. Outta the box, the top speed is 25-28 mph! if ur dad wants 2 go faster, try treatland.tv, pull em up, they got alotta go fast goodies 4 ur chappy, after that, ya mite wanna keep it 4 urself, hahaha. So go kidnap that ole girl & get that story started!-------twosmoke

Hey booziebrooks, its been a few days, still no word bout the kidnappin! what happnd, get busted? hahaha ,we.re all waitin 4 ur chappy journey 2 begin!-------twosmoke

Hi guys & girls,
Its been awile since I've been on here, but not by choice, alot has happened since april, the most painful entry in this post is, my lil screamin chappy is no more! (but with my67hr's help, she can be rebuilt!) well I'll start by sayin that it was painful 4 me as well as the scoot, the summer has been nice, perfect 4 scootin round town, but I jus picked the wrong day 2 go 4 a lil blast!! well, I was comin down main st in medford, the town next 2 mine, when sum stupid moron decided 2 blow a stop sign & nailed me!! well, I knew he was gonna hit me, (chappy brakes r not the best, specially the 1980 version!) so he nailed me comin outta the side street, hit me so hard that the impact broke the shock rite off the mount! the handlebars got a bit bent, controls got a lil messed up, the headlite bucket got bent as well as the front blinker, but the forks survived!! can ya believe that? the back wheel is a different story, the impact bent it (got another mx80 rear wheel, w/sprocket & brakes for 50$ on ebay) the swing arm is ok, jus a lil bent on the end @ the chain adjuster, but totally rebuildable! & the engine wasnt damaged @ all, cept 4 the bent pipe bracket, can ya believe that 2!!! well I remember the whole thing, cept 4 the landing, the moment of impact, the flight thru the air, but not the landing, all I remember was my helmet rollin down the street, then turnin around 2 see that big BMW suv front wheel parked rite on top of the scoot's rear wheel! as I lay there, a crowd started 2 gather, there was 3 fire engines, 2 police cars & of course, an ambulance!! so as I slowly got up off the street, checked 4 ne structural damage, got up & walked round a bit, cursin @ tha moron 2 get off my fk%$#&g scooter, I didnt feel a thing, ya know, I think God didnt want me jus yet, cuz I remember b4 the ride, I was lookin 4 the brain-bucket helmet, (my kid jus got a Harley sportster, & the guy gave him a couple helmets) but couldnt find it, so I put on the full-face 1, or I prob wouldnt b sittin here typin this 2 ya, but after I called my kid 2 come get me & my mangled scoot, the pain set in, I could barely walk!! 45 mins later, he shows up, we put the scoot in the truck, then str8 2 the hospital, good thing I went!! well, 3 cracked ribs , a deep gash on my left calf, from the brake lever a banged up rt knee & a black eye from the helmet later, I couldnt walk @ all, missed 4 days from work & now the whole thing is in the hands of a very goog liability lawyer!! well thats bout it, it seems a long time from july 9th, but I guess this jus lets me write chapter 2 of the chappy resurrection, now dont it? looks like I got a winter project comin up, & I'm gonna prob need a lil help tryin 2 chase down all the 37 yr old parts I'm gonna need, so thanks in advance 4 the help, cuz I know all u guys r very helpfu & resourceful, so bye 4 now, I'll keep ya all posted as the resurrection part 2 gets goin a couple months!!! -------twosmoke

Hey what’s up guys.

Sorry I went dark for a bit lol

My chalky journey actually is about done!

Just need a kickstart,
3ad974059ba08cb0961f3fcbd410a5f5.jpg
8b0d0b1965899ed3cb9e721ba168ff8e.jpg

Latest posts

Back