Yamaha 1981 LB50 PH Chappy resurrection

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok 67, I'll try, do ya mean use the usb cable to upload? I use my galaxy too. I havn't got the parts yet, but I'll try to post a couple pix of it w/the mx80 wheels on it. It really looks like a late model scoot now, but I gotta do sumthin soon w/those knobbys tho, haha-------twosmoke

Yey ! + rep's

That look's like those wheel's were meant for it.
You'll have to modify some fender's to fit it later too

Do you have a pic of the MX80 carby you are playing around with ?

yeah, I'm gonna fab up a bracket for the front fender, the back 1 is ok, I tried to snd a pic to my email but it didn't go, but i'll figure it out. I'll try to get a pic of that old carb to ya, but I'm not usin it, ordered a mikuni vm18 today, think I'm gonna need sum taller shocks tho, there aint too much clearance back there. I saw sum 230mm shox @ treatland today, cant go wrong for 50$, rite?-------twosmoke

ok67, gonna try to post a few pix of that carb for ya 20150425_202809.jpg

Attachments

• 20150512_211333.jpg
    20150512_211333.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 6
Hi guys & gals, been away from the board for a bit, I got my shipment from treatland today, the polini big bore kit, the puch hi-comp head, the gianelli pipe and the 19mm mikuni. the problem is, the pipe doesn't xactly line up w/the the head threads and when I tried to test fit the castle nut on the polini, it wouldn't screw on easily all the way, whats the deal? Its not crossthreaded @ all, jus doesn't screw on easily. and another thing, they didn't include the heat shield or mounting hardware either, there was a hole in the bag, but it wasn't in the box either, WTF? how hard are these guys to deal with? I sent benji an email yesterday, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet? I really don't wanna modify or fk w/this pipe! any of you pros have any ideas what to do? thanks a bunch-------twosmoke

If the pipe don't fit and it's the right one your kind of out of options and will have to cut it.

It's not that big of a deal. Just take it slow with the cuts doing a little at a time and get a good welder to weld it back up.

well thanks Motorman, but really don't wanna cut it, was thinkin more of heating it up and bendin it, or elongating the mounting holes, ya know? really don't wanna fk that pipe up! what bout the castle nut not threadin on too far? it should go on all the way, no? that pipe should fkn fit w/no probs! have you ever ordered ne parts from treatland? I didn't get the heat shield or the hardware for the pipe, I spent over 400$ w/them!

Hey guys & gals, does ne1 know offhand how much and what kind of oil goes in2 the forks of that chappy? had to swap the mx 80 forkleg onto the chappy cuz one side didn't have a spring in it, luckily, they used the same forks! thanks a bunch,-------twosmoke

I used 15w in my LB80, I cant remember how much oil went into each
But it was about 6.5" down from the top after being pumped to get any air out

Yeah, thanks 67, I really lucked out w/those mx80 forks, I guess Ill figure it out sooner or later, any opinions on that xhaust prob? those guys @ treatland have not gotten back to me bout my fk'ed upped order, I spent over 400$ w/them, nice way to run a business, huh? thanks-------twosmoke

I haven't ordered anything from them yet.

I'm not really sure on the exhaust problem.
Do you have the thick gasket fitted into the nut before it's screwed on ?
Do the thread's look cleanly tapped in the front flange nut ?
How many thread's can you wind it on ?
Tried some anti-seize grease on the thread's?
If it's goes on 5 or 6 thread's and is starting to squash the gasket then it should be ok, then once that's tight you might be able to bend the pipe up or down a little so it line's up with the mounting holes

Well thanks my67xr, if ya didn't order nething yet, don't! well, I cant say that, the rest of the order was ok, the only thing pissin me off is that I emailed em 3x & they still haven't gotten back to me yet! well the exhaust prob is fixed. I put a couple of big flatwashers in the castle nut the same thickness as the gasket cuz I didn't wanna crush it too much. the threads look perfect, I oiled the nut and the head w/10w-30, & I got it on bout 4 threads by hand, then I broke out the stillson for the rest, haha, got it tight on the washers & bent it a little, seemed to be better, then elongated the lower bracket hole & bent the upper bracket to get the bolt in. Finally got it installed, then found out the kick starter hits it! I put a pretty big dimple in the chamber so the kicker cleared & had to grind a flat on the back of the k/s, it cleared just barely, then I broke the bolt on the k/s jus putting bout 20 ft/lbs on it! what a fkn pos! this resurrection is turning in2 a real horror show! Do you or nebody know where I can get a decent k/s for it or can tell me what others can be cross-referenced? to fit? I don't want another pos from Thailand for 10$! this one is already wearing the the lever stop to round and its gonna fail soon w/all that compression! its got more than my 81 YZ250! thanks in advance guys & gals-------Twosmoke

I will have a look at my kicker lever tomorrow, and see if there would be another that could fit.
I'm pretty sure they have the same spline size as a pit bike
like this one (if it'll clear the frame when it's swung back not being used)-
Kick Start Lever Curved CRF Type 14mm shaft - TRC-1990 - Shifters & Kickstarters - Pit Bike Chassis Parts - TBolt USA, LLC

This looks like a chappy kick start lever, genuine? Made in Japan-
.Yamaha 63 64 65 66 67 YG1 80 80cc Kick Starter 127 15610 01 91 Kicker Made Japan | eBay
But the component's he has listed are only the rubber, the top pivoting lever, the spring and washer, clip ?

Last edited:
Yeah, thanks 67, that 2nd kicker looks like it mite work, seems to have the same bend in it & it looks like like better quality, the flat on the pedal looks like it will work on the flat of the kick lever & not round off like that other Thailand pos. Mite have to heat & bend it if it hits the pipe, don't wanna bash that pipe nemore, I jus painted it! so I think I better scoop it up b4 sum1 else does, unless ya can chk your bikes & find me a better 1, how old is that ebay ad? is it recent? if it is, mite grab it today, thanks buddy-------twosmoke

Oh yeah, 1 more thing, my67xr, that new carb I got, a mikuni vm19, the jet needle clip is set on the 2nd from the bottom, wouldn't that be too rich? this carb is way bigger than the stocker and I think it mite pull in too much fuel and flood out? ne suggestions? thanks,-------twosmoke

Id start off with the needle clip second from top
Jetting should be pretty close, but you won't really know till it's running properly and have done a plug chop.

Double check with the kickstarter that you get everything in that picture before you order it, and that the spline size is 12-13mm
Ask for more pic's if you need them too

Too late 67!, I ordered it this morning, its a complete k/s, the only thing missing is the rubber that goes on the pedal, it says it'll fit a 14mm spline, & seems to have the right bends in it, if not, I'll heat it & bend it, aint putting any more dents in that pipe! it looks to be of wayyy better quality too, the pedal & lever are flat on flat when it's in the kicking position. Yeah, I was thinkin of movin that clip up a couple ticks, I'm sure it will run pretty good where you say. good thing I got that new k/s, that scoot has more compression than my 81 YZ250 & that pos from Thailand would surely fail in the 3rd kick! Thanks again 67.-------twosmoke

Hi Guys & gals, been away from the board for awhile cuz this project is becoming a real horror show & dollar pit! but its comin along slow but sure! 1st, went to the bike shop up here to get a tube for the frt wheel; the guy tried to sell me 1 that was 5 inches wide! wayyyy too much rubber for such a skinny tire! that was the only 1 he had in a 15 inch, so I thought I could stretch a 14 on the rim, BAD IDEA! Yeah, I got it on there, put the tire back on, put some air in it, and it deflated as fast as it filled! Took it all apart again & found I punched 3 holes in it w/the screwdriver putting the tire back on. patched em, reassembled it, pumped it up and same thing! I said f%#k this, left it together, walked away & ordered up another tube online of the correct size, but in a 3.5 in width. Well it aint all bad news, got an ignition switch w/key, battery strap & seat clip from this guy in iowa all for 30$! such a deal, he's got 5 chappys in his yard! kicked myself that I didn't find him sooner. so that brings the birth date up to Friday when the tube gets here from cal. Oh yeah, & my67xr, I got that k/s ya told me bout last wk, its a lil smaller, curve aint as big, but wayyy better quality. Should work I think. I prob would have not had to dimple that new Giannelli pipe if I got this 1 1st, but oh well, that dimple just adds character right? well, that's it for now, I'll be sure to keep ya'll posted on the rest of the disasters/successes as the resurrection progresses.-------twosmoke

Latest posts

Back