Yamaha Chappy LB50 cable question

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmbaer67

Reaction score
So I have a 1979 Yamaha LB50. Looks like the previous guy tried to strip it down and left all the wires, cables, and hoses off. The fuel hoses I can figure out. Pretty sure I can also figure out the electrical wiring. The cables, though, have me stumped.

On Ebay, I can buy a "Throttle" cable. In my mind I see the top with the little L pipe attaching to the throttle grip. Two thirds down it branches. The big wire with the metal pipe end goes to the carb throttle. The small wire goes to the oil pump. Makes sense to me: engine must have fuel and oil to run. Right? Wrong?

Also on Ebay, I have seen a short "Oil Pump" cable. What is this? Where does it attach?

The pictures in the shop manual I found online are no help.

Hi jmbaer67,
1st of all, welcome 2 miniriders, there r a boatload of knowledgeable folks on here, my67hr bein 1 of the best, he helped me thruout my whole 80 LB 50 build, it now does a blistering, blurred 45 MPH, hahaha, but I'll try 2 help ya out, ok?
yes, it does run on a fuel/oil mix, it is oil injected, the oil is mixed w/the fuel @ the intake manifold, ya will see an oil line comin frm the pump 2 the manifold, yes, the cable is in actually 3 pcs, the upper cable runs in2 a plastic cylinder, there it connects 2 the oil & carb cables, when ya twist on the throttle, both cables pull, the oil cable pulls an actuator on the oil pump according 2 how far ya open the throttle, its function is 2 meter the proper ratio of oil 2 mix w/the fuel according 2 how much is gettin 2 the engine 2 maintain the rite
fuel/oil ratio, so, the short oil pump cable attaches 2 the oil pump aroud a small pulley that rotates in relation 2 the throttle setting, the other end goes in2 the bottom of that plastic cylinder, on a connector rite beside the throttle cable that goes 2 the carb, get it? its pretty str8forward, so, I hope this helps ya out-------twosmoke

Latest posts

Back