Yamaha PW50 throttle problem with handlebars turned to left

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RadekSkylark

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Just bought my 5 year old daughter her first motorcycle - a Yamaha PW50 2018. Everything's fine and after 1-2h she's already riding it on straights and small turns, but I've noticed that there is some problem with the throttle when the handlebars are turned all the way to the left (also when not fully turned, but the problem is of smaller magnitude then) - the bike won't go as it's supposed to and she'll have to help with her legs in slow corners to push the bike around the corner. That is, you turn the throttle and nothing really happens, it just starts to rev a bit but it won't run. When the handlebars are turned to the right there are no such problems and the bike runs as it's supposed to when you apply the throttle. The same of course is true when the handlebars are straight.

Has someone dealt with a similar problem and can suggest a solution?

Thanks!

Check the routing of the throttle cable to make sure it isn't hanging up or binding on something when the bars are turned back and forth end-to-end.

Yeah, I already kind of checked that. The cable seems to be staying in the same place. Basically, it runs from the handlebars down under the tank, then it joins other cables/hoses and goes through the engine to the carb. There is no visual movement or something like that. Was thinking maybe it's just "handing up" in its sheath, maybe I need to lube it somehow?

The problem was due to a too big throttle free play. Adjusted the upper cable to have ~2mm free play and everything is as it should now.

Latest posts

Back