Yet another ignition question.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudskipper

Reaction score
2012 motovert 160 had a rec reg kit installed by motobikecity in ferntree gully.
What a mistake!

Anyway, i have moved to perth and packed the bike away after they did the job.

They upgraded the stator where i am leading to the problem. When i kick it over, i dont ever see a decent output as it fluctuates, something i could give an accurate Voltage if the bike was idling

I have new CDI, new spark plug, new rectifier only outputting 9v, kill switch operates correctly, ignition coil resistance is correct, fuse ok.
I had the problem before replacing the above components after tracing out the wiring.

Any hints would be much appreciated as i have done all but found an answer on google or youtube.

im no wizard with electricity but whats the output of the stator before the rectifier? it should be able to put out more than 12 volts (while revving up a bit) if not then replace the stator..

if you have a multimeter, set it to 200 OHMS
find the wiring coming from the stator, there should be 2 wires coming out for the lighting/charge, a yellow and a white wire
unplug them and put one lead from the meter to the white wire, and the other to the yellow wire. (either way around)
it should read .7 to .8 Ohms if it is working ok.

how many wires does the rectifier use ?
is it a regulator/rectifier?
and can you put up a picture of it, or a link to one on ebay etc ?

with the link to the regulator/rectifier you have, a regulator/rectifier converts AC voltage to a regulated DC voltage.

are you running a battery ?

sometimes the regulator/rectifiers need a bit more voltage to work properly,
adding a capacitor may fix your problem, get a 10,000 Ohm 40 Volt Capacitor from Jaycar , $!2.95 iirc
wire the negative to the earth from the reg.rect and wire the positive side to the positive output of the reg/rect.
see if it puts out any more voltage then.

Last edited:
if im reading that correctly.. wire the capacitor in parallel to the DC output on the rectifier?
earth being 0Vdc/black

not running a battery, just horn, light, tail light

yeah the positive side of the capacitor needs to be connected to the red output wire from the regulator/rectifier
the negative side of the capacitor goes to earth (normally the diagonal opposite wire in the square 4 pin plug)
or earthed to the mounting bolt for the reg/rect

Replaced, stator, flywheel and read switch.
Still no spark, doing my head in

can you measure the black w/red stripe coming from the stator, and the green wire, where they join to your loom.

set your multimeter to 2000 Ohms

then measure the blue w/white and the green wires, multimeter set to 200 Ohms

Last edited:
Interstate for the next week at least, ill post some results of the new stator when i get back

Latest posts

Back