Yet another "Which bike?" thread

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RangaBlitzFanga

Reaction score
I currently have a 250cc 3/4 size apollo/orion bike. The front brake is one of those impossible-to-get-air-out-no-matter-what types, the forks are crap and it handles pretty average because of it. Surprisingly though... full linkage rear suspension!
It hits very hard on the bottom end and loves to launch over logs and power up hills, but no top end to it

I've been wanting a 160cc for a long time but i'm still not 100% sold on the idea.
Still, if someone was in the market. What bike would you recommend?
There used to be a load of atomik 140/150/160cc's on ebay now they seem to have dried up a lot. I was going to get one of those
Is it worth stretching for a DHZ Dpro 160? is there anything else out there?
Obviously money is a factor, I see the Atomik 160's can be had for about $800-$850 landed which seems a good deal to me, is a DPro or other worth the extra cash? given that I could also dump an extra $400 into an Atomik for the same price....

Also wheels, 14/12" seems really really small? Is it worth getting a 19/16" set or keep it small and nimble? I don't ride freestyle/mx I do trails/enduro and give it hell!

Note: out of the crate build quality is NOT a concern. I will strip it down, reroute cables if necessary and grease or loctite everything straight away. So if the only differences are in assembly quality then i'd rather the cheaper option

Last edited:
if anything 17/14 that will get you over most things while still being a pitty

you could chuck a nice set of forks on the 250 and some dual pot breaks instead of getting another bike? and talk to a cam grinder to get that top end back on your 250

if anything 17/14 that will get you over most things while still being a pitty

you could chuck a nice set of forks on the 250 and some dual pot breaks instead of getting another bike? and talk to a cam grinder to get that top end back on your 250

My concern is also weight and ergonomics. The 140-160's are at least 20kg lighter, and from what i've heard, the engine performance is much higher and should smash the heavier vertical 250's in mid and high end

But yes if I could bring it up to scratch for a reasonable cost and the consensus is it would compare with or be better than a 160, sure

im not sure if you could fit any larger than 17/14 on a midsize pitbike.. unless you wanted to extend the frame a bit so the front wheel clears the engine

the atomik nitrouses 160 are on ebay new and still go cheap every couple of months but i dont think that there frame would be a good candidate
maybe a pitpro se or somthing like that? a atomik bigfoot does not have a bad frame either

Where's a good place to buy a cheap set of 17/14" then as i'd like to factor that into the price

My 250 currently has 19/16" which gives it bonus points, but they still feel very small compared to a proper 21/18" setup

Firstly the standard nitrous and the dpro 160's your looking at are proper small pit bikes, where as if you want to run a 14/17" setup then you'll have to get a midsize pitty, the atomik reign bigfoot is a good way to go. 14/17" wheels standard and teh frame is pretty strong too. You could also consider the Atomik nitrous 250. This isn't pitbike though, but the ergonomics look much better then the bigfoots and is the way I would be heading, it also runs larger tyres and still sells for a reasonable price.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-ATOM...?pt=AU_Motorcycles&hash=item2ec816387b&_uhb=1

Another bike to consider would be the Atomik Blitz. Its a 250cc bike thats inspired by the YZ250f. I had one and it was a good bike with plenty of potential. Thump has made an incredibly detailed thread about them here: http://www.miniriders.com/showthread.php?t=20708&highlight=atomik+blitz

There is a LOT of information here so it is worth sending the time to read it. There are plenty of Blitz's on gumtree at the moment for under 1k

My concern is also weight and ergonomics. The 140-160's are at least 20kg lighter, and from what i've heard, the engine performance is much higher and should smash the heavier vertical 250's in mid and high end

But yes if I could bring it up to scratch for a reasonable cost and the consensus is it would compare with or be better than a 160, sure

Now where moving into full size territory, Do you want something shorter or a nice tall bike with plenty of clearence?

nuff said i think

Now where moving into full size territory, Do you want something shorter or a nice tall bike with plenty of clearence?

I don't know, BTW I also have an Atomik Blitz 250 and yes its good for what it is and i'd buy another if there were any more available here. But its no screamer and its heavy at ~130kg

I'm wondering if the small pit bikes are still good at trail and enduro riding? or is it pretty much essential to go bigger?
Cause if I can still blast around on it without too much trouble then sure i'll go the smaller bike

the pitbikes 140cc-160cc are actually quicker than the 250cc china bikes, if you have a budget i would get one of the better branded pitbikes second hand instead of a new cheap one i think a 160cc midsize would be what your looking for.

editL: braaap are the best in aust you can get.

Last edited:
editL: braaap are the best in aust you can get.

Id take an LXR or ciniworx before a braaap. There all great bikes but why throw an extra $1500 at a China bike when you can get better for $1500 less than a braaap.

Id take an LXR or ciniworx before a braaap. There all great bikes but why throw an extra $1500 at a China bike when you can get better for $1500 less than a braaap.

+1

there are reports the extra 1500 also extends penis size...
sorry phil (and other braap riders)-yeah i know you guys can ride rings around me

mate i cant see why you cant get a 160 and gear it to do trails and maybe enduro put big sprokets on it

in regards to the braaap, i'm not buying one new. But would it be worth snapping up that 140cc for around the same price as a new DHZ DPro 160? is it a better choice despite a smaller engine

Latest posts

Back